Screenshots of PSIII and XBox 2

LOTCB

Here is an article as well:

Article

EA reveal PS3 and Xbox Next screens

Electronic Arts show off their radical plans for the next-gen consoles - more sequels!

The self-piloting hover-car is now decades behind schedule. The promised dystopian dictatorship is running 20 years late and as for those promised bubble-shaped moon colonies? Well, the closest we've got is Centre Parks.

Yes, predicting the future is a dangerous business: make one a tiny mistake and the next generation can spend the subsequent years mocking you for hoping for a better, brighter world. But there are always bold visionaries who dare to dream - and the latest to step up to the crystal ball is Warren Jensen of Electronic Arts.

This week Jensen, the chief financial officer of the software giant, went out on a limb to predict that PS3 and Xbox 2 will be able offer the most impressive, immersive and realistic gaming ever seen. (Nintendo's Revolution didn't even get a mention.) Speaking to the attentive audience at the Credit Suisse First Boston Annual Technology Conference, mystic Jensen went on to say, "Imagine the characters in a football game expressing real emotions. That's the kind of thing that's going to be possible with the next generation of technology".

Then, to prove how exciting the future is going to be, he produced the two shots that you'll find glued on to this very page. And don't they look impressive? Well, yes they do. So long as you ignore that fact that Jensen hasn't said which next-gen console they come from and you don't start to wonder why they look so much like a cutscene from any current console version of Madden or Need For Speed.

With everyone suitably wowed, the fiscal whiz went on to claim that the next generation of consoles would all work as living room-based "wireless hubs" that allow gamers to download their software and developers to add more content to games after their release. He also predicted that the move to pre-paid download cards for online gaming and even an end to traditionally packaged, shop-bought games within the next three to five years.

Then, with his work done, Jensen climbed into his personal transportation pod, swallowed a tiny 'roast lamb and all the trimmings' food pill and blasted back into the future. Or he might have gone home in a taxi. We just don't know.

Those are just renders, or extreme high detail demos to show off. There is no way that they will be able to do that in real time, especially the football game.

As for his comment about real time emotions, well welcome to the party. Lip syncing and facial emotions are already out there in pc games.

And really even though the are a lot of poly's in that car model, the textures and reflections sucks.

Ill reserve final judgement until i see a game running on them, but these dont look like that to me.

Those are just renders, or extreme high detail demos to show off.  There is no way that they will be able to do that in real time, especially the football game.

As for his comment about real time emotions, well welcome to the party.  Lip syncing and facial emotions are already out there in pc games.

And really even though the are a lot of poly's in that car model, the textures and reflections sucks.

Ill reserve final judgement until i see a game running on them, but these dont look like that to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Party pooper.

Yeah, but there are lots of new technologies (for games) in those shots. Motion blur and depth of field, grass and trees (at least partly procedural, I'm guessing), and I'm glad they're getting with the program on faces. I doubt the game will look this good, but I hope at least some of those technologies will be in there. Programmable graphics hardware will make a huge difference.

I own both PS2 and XBOX, but PC Games, have just always been more entertaining not only with the games, but the graphics, as well as the actual community.

Am I the only one that reads these forums that plays games competitively?

I used to play Tribes and Battletech Mechwarrior in huge leagues but my time has evaporated as I got older.

I own both PS2 and XBOX, but PC Games, have just always been more entertaining not only with the games, but the graphics, as well as the actual community.

Am I the only one that reads these forums that plays games competitively?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's true to some extent. Any title that is released for console and PC is usually held back by the limitations of the console, though, which sucks.

I need to get a new computer so I can play some better games.

Well thats really because PC hardware moves so much faster the consoles. An xbox right now its pretty much a p3 i think and a geforce 3 with an nforce type motherboard. PC graphics are 3 generations beyond that in the same time. The problem with PC games though is scalability. A console developer only has to code for 1 platform while a pc developer has so many possible combinations that its a huge pain, and really limits how good pc games could actually look.