Ha So We Are The Only Classless Fans

HockeyMom

Check out this article........

http://www.hhof.com/html/exSCJ_02.shtml

Here is a quick summary. Oh well looks like Devils fans are not the only ones. Boston actually booed the Stanley Cup! I am sure that these are NOT the only 2 times.

On April 20, 1958, the Montreal Canadiens defeated the Bruins 5-3 in Boston to win the Stanley Cup. The visiting team's victory was greeted with a torrent of boos pouring down from the stands. Cooper Smeaton, one of the two Stanley Cup trustees, was appalled at the reaction of the Boston fans. In a letter to fellow trustee, Mervyn 'Red' Dutton, Smeaton wrote, "The behaviour of the fans at the end of the final game for the Stanley Cup in Boston last Sunday when the president of the league, Clarence Campbell, endeavoured to present the Cup, confirmed my thinking that no presentation should ever be made on the ice at the conclusion of any Cup series. After all, the Cup is the emblem of the World Championship and there should be some dignity in connection with the presentation. I think it should be done either at a public function such as a banquet, or a private dinner. In Boston, Senator Molson and Frank Selke tried to say something over the air but the (crowd was) making so much noise that they gave up and I think it was a downright disgrace. I fully realize the value of publicity if it is good, but I don't think the (negative fan reaction) such as on Sunday is good publicity and if proper policing of the crowd which would make it possible to have a dignified presentation is not possible, then it should be discontinued and made elsewhere."

Yep can you believe that one??? Now I would bet if I went to their board they would have a post calling Devils fans classless. Oh well...... who cares we got da cup! :D I am sure it has happened several times throughout the years. But of course since we are New Jersey we get the most grief.

Hey we can handle it!