Johnny Mac and the retro sweater

NJD Jester

No, it's not that the Devils didn't want him, they did. However, Lou wouldn't give Driver a no-trade clause (Driver was among the first players with this in his contract w/the NYR). The Rangers did and that's where he went to be able to stay in the NJ/NY area.

Thank you, unknown poster. My memory fuzzed out there. That was a good move by Lou, because Bruce was pretty much done by the time he was a Ranger.

Edited by Jerrydevil

Stevens treats it more like a vitamin pill... "I'm not saying I enjoy it -- but I know it' s good for me and it's good for you too so just choke it down men!

Brodeur -- "I dunno -- I think it's kind of good :noclue: "

No no no, you've got it all wrong. Brodeur takes the Kool-Aid as a vitamin, since his numbers and records wouldn't be there without it.

Stevens is the giant red Kool-Aid guy, destroying everything in his path while letting out a hearty "OOOH YEAH!"

No no no, you've got it all wrong. Brodeur takes the Kool-Aid as a vitamin, since his numbers and records wouldn't be there without it.

Stevens is the giant red Kool-Aid guy, destroying everything in his path while letting out a hearty "OOOH YEAH!" (great image DIG! :lol: !)

DANO is the Kool ade guy! :rofl: 'MONEY SCHMONEY LETS PLAY!!!! RAHHHHH!"

I was just saying Stevens always got all hyped up when negotiations were rolling around as if he was going to have the wool pulled over his eyes or something - a spaz defenseman before he even needed to be. Brodeur was always calm and seemed to say first via the press that he'd take less if it helped retain/obtain a winning team.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Am I the only Devils fan left that still has some bitterness about Johnny Mac demanding a trade?

I'm going to snag a retro sweater, and have been considering name options: Verbeek, Terreri, Dano. But MacLean 15 speaks to me. I always liked Mac in the red and green days, but have never gotten past the trade thing, even as he and Lou and the team have obviously made amends.

I don't know ... maybe I just go Terreri (after Twitterers dismissed my Troy Crowder idea). Dude personified Devils hockey during some rather awful post-1988 times.

<JESTER>

I go back to when Mac was drafted. I was a fan of his.

I don't think I was solely mad at Mac for wanting out; I think I was equally mad at the team for making him feel underappreciated. But when he later went on to the Rangers, I was, of course, pissed and/or hurt that he would willingly go there.

But once he came back, I was happy and willing to let bygones be bygones. However, to be honest, it's never been the same.

So, I guess my answer is yes, I still do have some lingering bitterness. Although, I would love to hear what he has to say about the whole thing.

Some fans have compared his situation to Lemieux. Maybe it's just me, but for some reason I sensed that Claude really loved being back here, whereas with Mac I really can't tell for sure how he feels about the organization, Lou, the fans, etc.