A Little Incident At Sens Practice

Rock

Sens' Neil punches Arvedson at practice

http://www.tsn.ca/news_stories/35037.html

Canadian Press

3/25/2003

OTTAWA (CP) - Rugged Ottawa Senators right-winger Chris Neil punched teammate Magnus Arvedson in the face after the two hacked at each other with their sticks during a scrimmage at practice this week.

No other punches were thrown as defenceman Karel Rachunek skated in between the two, and then was helped by other Senators players who kept Neil and Arvedson apart Monday.

"Tempers flare, it shows the intensity of practice," said Neil, claiming the incident with Arvedson is water under the bridge. "We're friends. We're teammates. I don't like what he did to me. Whatever happens on the ice, stays on the ice. I asked Karel about it, I talked to him after and told him it was between me and (Arvedson).

"It's all settled now, Karel (Rachunek) just sort of came in and cleared everything up. He wasn't the only one. Wade Redden and a few other guys came in, too. It's over. It just brings us that much closer."

Arvedson, however, left the team's dressing room quickly after practice without talking to reporters.

In a telephone interview later, Arvedson didn't want to talk about the incident.

"He said his view, I said mine and that was about it," Arvedson said.

It has been a tough month for the left-winger. Arvedson was embarrassed in a March 4 game against the Toronto Maple Leafs when Tie Domi chased him and slugged him after some alleged stickwork to the groin. Many Ottawa fans were as disappointed with Arvedson for not standing up to Domi as they were angry with Domi's bullying tactics.

Coach Jacques Martin didn't attend practice, leaving the team in the hands of assistant coach Perry Pearn. After hearing about the fight, Martin insisted that it was "no big deal" and said he didn't plan to talk to any of the players about the incident.

Neil was a healthy scratch during the Senators' 3-1 win over the Florida Panthers on Saturday. He was also scratched from the lineup in a 5-2 loss to the New York Islanders on March 15.

"Guys sometimes get upset at other guys from time to time, but it doesn't usually go that far," said Redden, who couldn't remember being involved in a fight during practice since his junior days with the Brandon Wheat Kings of the Western Hockey League. "Guys are man enough to leave it at that, and if not, they have to get together." (Ottawa Citizen)