Erica's Lament About Checking

NJD Jester

I agree that you can't prevent concussions in a violent game on a hard sheet of ice. But you can cut down on the head injuries if you penalize all hits to the head. People take that notion to extremes, saying that the physicality in hockey will be lost with that rule. It's not true, but players will be more responsible when they're hitting people if the head is off limits. That's a good thing. How many times have we said that players don't have respect for each other when they wave the stick around like sword. The same goes for hitting high IMO.

I agree that you can't prevent concussions in a violent game on a hard sheet of ice. But you can cut down on the head injuries if you penalize all hits to the head. People take that notion to extremes, saying that the physicality in hockey will be lost with that rule. It's not true, but players will be more responsible when they're hitting people if the head is off limits. That's a good thing. How many times have we said that players don't have respect for each other when they wave the stick around like sword. The same goes for hitting high IMO.

High sticking dirves me nuts and that's an easy call -- but hits -- It's just so hard... it's just hard to call and I'd want it called fair! (I like the solar plexis posts :evil: )You'd have to review every hit - I don't think refs would I think they'd just say it was to the head and that would be that so it's not worth it for a guy to master the art of the hit.

It would just effectively end all open ice hits. Man with all the bitching about clutching and grabbing and zone defense and all -- sh!t guys let's just call playing DEFENSE a feckin' penalty!

NOW I'M CRANKY <_< thanks a lot! :angry:

Edited by Pepperkorn