Back from the Rats game...

Weekes Head

Well, I just got back from the Rats game (ugh, I would have been home about an hour and a half earlier, but we ran into a HORRIBLE accident on the Thruway, something like a four car pileup that needed three fire trucks, a bunch of ambulences, police cars, and a medic chopper)...but yeah, anyways...

Rats won 3-1 tonight, beat the baby-Islanders. For a team out of playoff contention, they sure played a helluva game. Ahonen was INSANE tonight, made some dandies, he's glove is really great. I still wonder what the future has in store for him...he's GOTTA be NHL-ready soon...

How tall is Steve Kariya? I swear, he looked like he was four feet tall on the ice. I've never seen such a small player on the ice before, yeesh! He was speedy out there, too, looked pretty good with Darby.

Of course, the only two players I REALLY wanted to see were both scratched tonight -- Foster and Skrlac. Foster for, well, obvious reasons, and Skrlac, well, for the mere reason that he'd kill whoever came in his face. It *would* have been good stuff, *sigh*

Ehh, no one really stood out though, Suglobov had a REALLY nice chance late in the game, fired a nice wrister from the slot. I didn't really notice him, otherwise, though.

All and all it was a good game, though, good to see the baby-Devils in action (and to see them ACTUALLY get a win). Woulda been nice for Ahonen to get the SO (he lost it with like 2:30 left in the third), but he still had an insane game. I think he made something like 26 saves, which is a relatively light-night for a Rats goalie, eh? :P

RD, from when I saw him in training camp Steve Kariya makes Brian Gionta look like

Zedeno Chara.... G must have LOVED having someone around to make short jokes at :D

I'm new to this site, and saw that you had put Foster scratched last night for obvious reasons. I guess I'm a little dense - what happened? Is he injured? I haven't heard a thing. Thanks!

And yes, Steve Kariya is very tiny. I've met him a couple of times. I'm 5'5" and there is absolutely no way he is the 5'8" he is rostered at. He's not much taller than me, if he is at all. I'd say he's 5'6" at best - probably 5'8" with his skates on!

Welcome Nancy..... feel free to start your own intro thread and be loved by all for

15 minutes ;)

as for Kariya.. I list him as "5 Foot Minus 2"... it just sounds fitting :D

For some reason, the Rats have been pretty good against Bridgeport, one of the best teams in the league. This year, the Rats are 2-2-3 against them (with one game remaining). Go figure :noclue:

Steve Kariya is fun to watch, and I'm glad he got a goal last night, seems like forever since he's scored! I love how he's small, but he's not afraid to make or take a big hit.

Foster's been a mystery. I haven't been able to find any info on him. He did play a game or two a few weeks ago, but he's scratched again. Anyone know? Skrlac wasn't out during the warmups, and I didn't see him in his usual spots in the arena during the game, but I hope he's back soon!

Welcome Nancy! :hi:

Guolla played his first game last night, and scored an empty net goal at the end of the game. He's been out all year after back surgery during the summer. Too bad he couldn't come back sooner to give us a hand, but not too much you can do about it!

The best part of Ari's game is his glove. It's so quick, you wonder how he even had time to see the puck before he had the glove on it! He's just gotta work on his five hole (seems like he gets beat there all the time).

Glad the Rats put on a show for the Devs booster club! Maybe you guys should send some people up for every game? Just a suggestion :D

The best part of Ari's game is his glove. It's so quick, you wonder how he even had time to see the puck before he had the glove on it! He's just gotta work on his five hole (seems like he gets beat there all the time).

Man, I noticed his glove, I was in sheer awe, I felt as though I wasn't worthy! IMO that really looked like his strongest point, he also seemed to handle the puck pretty well also.

There were a couple wrap around chances that I cringed (seeing as that's probably one of the weakest spots for Marty), but he handled them with ease. He definitely looks like he's the real deal.

Thanks for the welcome! I'd have to agree that Clemmensen is in NJ for the simple fact that it means Ahonen is getting the experience he needs. He's a young guy, still, and when his game is on, he is amazing to watch. I'd love to see Ari in the NHL. Clemmensen is a good goalie, too. He did get the SO his first NHL game, which is an accomplishment, but he's older. I think he's got about 5 years on Ahonen - if you were choosing someone to be a back-up and you know he would almost never get to play, who would you choose, you know? I really like the both of them, but I really love watching Ahonen in net. Especialy when he's holding his stick like a baseball bat ready to mess Binghampton's Emery up! What a mess that game was. :dance:

Agewise, I think Clemmy is a year or two older than Ari, but they joined the Rats the same year. Clemmy is much more consistant, whereas Ari is more streaky.

That Binghamton game was a mess, you could sense it was getting bad, and then Robbie still put his enforcers out there after the ref had some words with both coaches! :lol:

Always nice to meet new River Rat fans on the board! Having others to balance out your opinions is always nice!