Cory Booker

Derlique

As an aspiring lawyer or teacher, one guy I've really looked up to is Newark mayor, Cory Booker. He's slashed crime rates in half and has gotten better wages for workers in Newark. Does anyone think he has what it takes to get a Senate seat or possibly make a run for president in the future?

I haven't lived in Jersey for 15 years so I don't know much about him but if he is doing a good job for Newark then I am thrilled for the citizens of Newark and the state. Baby steps, however, lets see if he can succeed at the local and state level for a while.

He comes across as a great guy. I met him before one of the games last season as he was just down in Championship Plaza talking with folks. He came across really well to me. I think a national office is a bit off to even talk about until he has some experience on that level, but hes got the people skills.

The thing that impressed me the most about him was him during the snow storm. He was going above and beyond.

I watched the first season of Brick City on Netflix a while back and came away with a new respect for the guy. The show got criticized for showing Booker in an overly positive light though, and supposedly the second season isn't as glowing. Haven't seen it for myself, though.

Both the documentary "Street Fight" and the TV show "Brick City" are real good. Brick City was a bit Booker happy the first season and the second season definitely gives you a more balanced look on him. Street Fight is a good representation of how the office was run in the Sharpe James era though, with just the way he treats the film maker and Booker throughout the election as proof of the type of guy he was and is.

• 2 months later...

A little overrated, but again look at the citizens he's dealing with. You have agitators, street thugs sponsored by drug dealers. A few seasons back, they had the PPP protesting police brutality in front of the Rock. I think that Newark has a long way to go and Booker can only do so much, more of a over promise under deliver type guy. Nice guy and all, but he's in over his head with a large element of the residents there. Massive gang problem and not enough of those tax paying folks, but if you live in the Essex County you are paying for it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.