Bowman: Wings have to rejig offence

Rock

Bowman: Wings have to rejig offence

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040504/nhl_det-cp.html

By NEIL STEVENS -- Canadian Press

TORONTO -- Detroit had one of the most potent offences in the NHL but production fizzled in the playoffs so, if the Red Wings want to get back to the championship series, they are going to have to add yet more firepower, says Scotty Bowman.

After averaging more than three goals a game during the regular season, Detroit scored 24 in 12 playoff games and was blanked 1-0 in the last two games of its second-round series against Calgary.

"Everybody in the league is concerned about offence but it's hard to believe everything went so dry for them, including the power play," said the man who coached the Red Wings to titles in 1997, 1998 and 2002 and who remains a consultant to the team. "They're probably looking at concentrating on the offence (as an area to improve).

"There's nothing wrong with their defensive game."

Another reason Detroit is out is a 2-4 post-season road record. A team has to do better than that to emerge as champion.

Bowman, 70, is on a cross-Canada tour -- Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver also are on his itinerary -- coaching men to visit doctors for checkups.

"There's a lot of things that if you get them early you can solve a lot of problems," he said.

More specifically, Bowman has been diagnosed with erectile dysfunction and is a spokesman for a related campaign by Bayer Health Care and GlaxoSmithKline. (Perhaps it's me, but this sentence seems out of place right here.)

Detroit's elimination puts the job of Detroit head coach Dave Lewis in jeopardy, and Bowman knows why.

"It's an awful risky business, coaching," he said. "Coaches are moved very quickly and it's pretty much based on playoff expectations now.

"The economics of the business are that if you don't have a long playoff run" a coach's job is on the line.

"When you're in a big-market city where you have some good revenues, you also have big expenditures so ownership looks forward to playoff revenues to make ends meet or do better than that."

Bowman, content living in Florida, reiterated that "coaching is behind me."

"My career wound down and I don't want to wind it back up," he said.

Not that teams don't try to talk him into returning. He even had a recent feeler about the vacant Ottawa job.

"Not directly," Bowman replied when asked if Senators GM John Muckler has tried to lure him out of retirement. "I think he knows I'm interested in other things in life now."

He'll also be interested in seeing how the Calgary Flames do in their conference final after knocking off Detroit.

"They have a formula now and they're gaining an awful lot of confidence," said Bowman. "They're winning on the road, they're getting great goaltending and they are winning despite injuries.

"If they ever get healthy, which they might be able to with a few days off now . . . they willed themselves to win the last series and when a team does that . . . "

He often jumps from thought to thought without completing sentences.

"There's a similar team in the East -- Tampa Bay," he says. "Those two teams are not going to be pushovers."

On visors, a timely topic given the puck to the head last weekend that ended the season of his former captain Steve Yzerman, Bowman fudges his answer when asked if it's time for the league to legislate mandatory use.

"I'd like to see them wear it but at the same time have input from a cross-section of players," he said. "It's a touchy subject."

Veteran NHL players need not consider a visor an obstacle to playing well, he added.

"Ray Bourque had a very serious eye injury 10 years prior to retiring and he had no choice but to put on a face shield and he ended up with a distinguished career."

you mean it was in the game plan to have Hatcher STAND there in awe of Gelinas as

he salivated over the open puck, empty net and end of season !?!?!

See it's moron comments like this which are why I think so little of Bowman's well

documented career and some of the great teams he cakewalked to all those Cup wins

with ... arrogant little troll :P

you mean it was in the game plan to have Hatcher STAND there in awe of Gelinas as

he salivated over the open puck, empty net and end of season !?!?!

See it's moron comments like this which are why I think so little of Bowman's well

documented career and some of the great teams he cakewalked to all those Cup wins

with ... arrogant little troll :P

Yes, that was part of the game plan. However, Hatcher wasn't standing there in awe, it was just that his special 'laser glare of death' failed at the key moment. But Bowman can't admit to the existance of such a thing. One of the Detroit 'snipers' should have been able to swoop in, grab that puck, head up ice and bury that thing behind Kiprusoff with .01 seconds left.

Yes, that was part of the game plan.  However, Hatcher wasn't standing there in awe, it was just that his special 'laser glare of death' failed at the key moment.  But Bowman can't admit to the existance of such a thing.  One of the Detroit 'snipers' should have been able to swoop in, grab that puck, head up ice and bury that thing behind Kiprusoff with .01 seconds left.

HA !!!!

nice answer :)

maybe Hatcher was trying to say I'm going to elbow you now... but it got lost in his

caveman jibberish !!!

not to plug someone's personal webste (NEVER :P ) but this was pretty funny :lol:

hatchsux.jpg

I try to like him (I don't know why -- I guess for the dallas gals that did)

Maybe because when both his brother and Scotty played for the Caps Derian always liked to spend lots of time with Scotty when he was visiting his brother??? 'Cause he did...at least that's what he says...

So maybe it's another Stevens thing, PK???

Edited by SueNJ97

You know Sue -- it IS kind of a Stevens thing in that you look and it looks like everything should be right and then he goes and fecks it all up! He cheap shots when he could do a great legal hit -- what? he can't come up with the goods. :noclue: I mean is THAT it?? It makes no sense to me when I watch the WHOLE Derian game <_< drives me nuts. It's just very frustrating to watch him.

See it's moron comments like this which are why I think so little of Bowman's well documented career and some of the great teams he cakewalked to all those Cup wins with ... arrogant little troll :P

How could you be so cruel to talk disparagingly about the poor guy? He has erectile dysfunction! He deserves to be in our prayers. :pray:

See it's moron comments like this which are why I think so little of Bowman's well documented career and some of the great teams he cakewalked to all those Cup wins with ... arrogant little troll :P

How could you be so cruel to talk disparagingly about the poor guy? He has erectile dysfunction! He deserves to be in our prayers. :pray:

:mellow:

Bowman...

erectile dysfunction... :D

that's helping some...

Edited by Pepperkorn

is that why he's 4'7'' ????

Man I thought that was the OTHER head not getting up :lol::evil: