Brian Murray to take over as Sens coach?

FunkyBlueFish203

Sportsnet is reporting that Bryan Murray (Ducks GM) will be taking over as coach of the Sens.

Murray gets the job in Ottawa

The Sens hope Bryan Murray's successful track record follows him to the Nation's Capital.

Sportsnet.ca - The Ottawa Senators are going to name Anaheim Mighty Ducks general manager Bryan Murray as their new head coach, Sportsnet has learned.

The move, which could be announced as early as Tuesday, may come as a surprise to many as there was growing speculation that the club would choose either former Blues head coach Joel Quenneville, Maple Leafs assistant coach Keith Acton or former Coyotes' bench boss Bobby Francis.

The Sens have been in search of a new head coach ever since Jacques Martin was fired following the club's first-round loss to Toronto in the Stanley Cup playoffs. It was the fourth time in five seasons that the Leafs had ended Ottawa's Cup dreams.

Murray brings a wealth of hockey experience with him to Ottawa. Murray began coaching in the National Hockey League in 1981 with the Washington Capitals. He won the Jack Adams Award as coach of the Year in 1983-84. It was just his third year with the team.

From there, he went on to general manage the Florida Panthers (1994-2001) and the Detroit Red Wings (1990-94). Murray's overall record as a general manager stands at 409-357-127-11. He helped build strong foundations with both clubs as the Panthers went on to the Stanley Cup final in 1996, while the Red Wings won Cups in 1997, 1998 and 2002.

But most notably, he is known to many fans today as having orchestrated Anaheim's incredible run in the 2003 Stanley Cup playoffs. The team came within one victory of winning it all -- only to lose to New Jersey in Game 7.

I was wondering if he'd be jumping ship... we shall see.

SIDEBAR:

(I wish I'd shut up today --- I'm all frantic I guess because hockey is through tonight for who knows how long.... :saddevil: adn i don't want to watch a Cup celebration...

and my husband is defending his thesis :evil::puke: it's not his actual defense but the final committee meeting where they tell him to write it up or leave with a masters)

Is this a smart move? :noclue:

It'd be interesting...

I haven't decided if it would be an actual smart move or if it'd be trying too hard to make a smart move. Honestly... :unsure: part of me fears it's the former...

but if it comes to pass I really hope there's a season next year!

I more than hope and pray Pat will be behind the Devils bench as well. I feel like we should be re-upping our Burns prayers.

Murray is a good GM, but I don't think he is the coach to take a team to the next level. If true, then this wouldn't be a very smart move by Ottawa.

Never think for a second a person stops learning. Personally, while he is on what may be a sinking ship -- Murray would only jump were he confident he knew what it would take to take this team all the way - that means something new Fish - something neither you nor I can judge with any accuracy until we see it first hand.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Never think for a second a person stops learning. Personally, while he is on what may be a sinking ship -- Murray would only jump were he confident he knew what it would take to take this team all the way - that means something new Fish - something neither you nor I can judge with any accuracy until we see it first hand.

Of course.

But as a coach he's known for his teams NOT winning in the playoffs. With firing Martin and all, I thought the Sens were trying to move away from that. The flip side of the coin could be that Murray might be looking for the right team. Maybe they'll work for each other, best wishes to them.

And anyway, is Lalime staying for sure?

See... when you explain the joke, it's not so funny.... :rolleyes:

You are absolutely correct - Lalime likely will NOT be back with the Senators. Not because he isn't a good goaltender when he wants to be, but rather because the fans in Ottawa have lost faith. "Why should I buy tickets to see the Senators play when they won't get a goaltender they can win the Cup with?"

Now that I am actually thinking hockey I don't see why Ottawa would get Murray for the job. I am not sure what he would bring to the team as a coach other then good scouting reports on his former players. Murray allways seemed like a good hockey mind for fixing a team together under a certain budget considering the price he had to pay Kariya and Selanne among others. I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if Ottawa aquires Leclerc sometime in the future. Murray has allways highly regarded Leclerc.