2024 New York Yankees Season Thread

I’ve the impression I’m in the minority on this site with respect to my baseball fandom, but I thought the Yankees deserve their own thread for the 2024 season, which actually began last night, while most of us were sleeping, with the Dodgers defeating the Padres 5-2 in Seoul, South Korea.

Obviously I'm a Mets fan but yeah, baseball seems to get less and less attention here in general.  The Mets thread used to be far more active than it is now.

I just find kind of the MLB version of the game to be a much less compelling product than it once was.  I used to friggin' LOVE watching baseball, damned near every game, as much as I could.  Now with all of the Ks and (over)analytics and this imaginery "book" that it seems like so many within the game live by...it's not as much fun.  Give me the days when we didn't constantly hear about pitch counts and "up-downs" and the rest.  I found baseball to be SO much more entertaining in the 1980s...the game is just too friggin' low-event now.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I wonder what the Yankee fan thinks seeing Snell sign a 2-62 deal with the Giants when he turned down quite a bit more from the Yankees a couple months ago, because Bora$ assumed he could get a 200+ million deal.

I would’ve liked the Yankees to have signed Snell, but I’m glad that they didn’t overpay for him, whether in AAV or contract length.  He’s already on the wrong side of thirty, which makes any long-term deal risky.  Plus, with Soto’s free-agency looming, I’d rather Steinbrenner and Cashman prioritize keeping him in the fold.  As he’s also a Boras client, it’s unlikely he’ll agree to an extension without testing the market, but the chances of keeping him are greater if there’s more money to offer him.  He’ll certainly have no shortage of teams courting him.

The Yankees start the 2024 season with a 5-4 win at Minute Maid Park in Houston.  The highlights:

• Making his Yankees debut, Juan Soto went 1-3 with 2 BB and 1 RBI, but his biggest moment, ironically, happened while he was playing RF, as he helped preserve the Yankees’ lead in the 9th inning by throwing out Mauricio Dubón at home.
  • Oswaldo Cabrera went 2-4, scoring 2 runs and hitting his first home run of the year, which proved to be the game-winning hit.
  • Anthony Volpe went 1-2 with 3 BB and 1 RBI.
  • Anthony Rizzo and Alex Verdugo each went 1-3 with 1 RBI, with Rizzo also reaching base via a walk and an HBP.

@ButlerBulldog don't be surprised if this becomes kind of your personal blog...there used to be a fairly active amount of Yankee fans on njdevs, but one was banned, and the others have largely moved on.  

Like most Mets fans in the area, I'm usually plenty aware of how the Yankees are doing and who's healthy/injured/hot/cold etc., and sometimes will talk shop with a Yankee fan, but can't say that I go out of my way to do it.

You might just want to jump into the Mets thread to talk NY baseball, as me, '7', and Has are reasonably active there, and we don't give sh!t to Yankee fans as long as they're not trolling.  

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

@ButlerBulldog don't be surprised if this becomes kind of your personal blog...there used to be a fairly active amount of Yankee fans on njdevs, but one was banned, and the others have largely moved on.  

Like most Mets fans in the area, I'm usually plenty aware of how the Yankees are doing and who's healthy/injured/hot/cold etc., and sometimes will talk shop with a Yankee fan, but can't say that I go out of my way to do it.

You might just want to jump into the Mets thread to talk NY baseball, as me, '7', and Has are reasonably active there, and we don't give sh!t to Yankee fans as long as they're not trolling.  

Gotcha’.  I don’t typically troll other teams’ fans, and I like some of the Mets players individually (e.g., Jeff McNeil), so I’m happy to pop over to that thread to share more general MLB-related news.

I’ve always been a Juan Soto fan, but watching him more closely this season has been eye-opening.  He’s an exceptionally gifted hitter and a better defensive outfielder than I realized.  He’s a Boras client, which makes me anxious about his impending free-agency, but I hope the Yankees can sign him long-term.

8 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I’ve always been a Juan Soto fan, but watching him more closely this season has been eye-opening.  He’s an exceptionally gifted hitter and a better defensive outfielder than I realized.  He’s a Boras client, which makes me anxious about his impending free-agency, but I hope the Yankees can sign him long-term.

I think exactly two teams will be in on him this offseason, and they both play in New York.

I think that the Mets will make the highest offer, but as we know, not every player is interested in just blindly taking the Mets’ money.  For Soto to ever seriously consider playing in Flushing, he’s going to have to be convinced that they’re headed in the right direction.  The Mets (and Stearns, really) have 159 more games to show Soto it’s not more same ol same ol.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think exactly two teams will be in on him this offseason, and they both play in New York.

I think that the Mets will make the highest offer, but as we know, not every player is interested in just blindly taking the Mets’ money.  For Soto to ever seriously consider playing in Flushing, he’s going to have to be convinced that they’re headed in the right direction.  The Mets (and Stearns, really) have 159 more games to show Soto it’s not more same ol same ol.  

Completely agree with this, as Soto seems to prefer playing on the East Coast, and only two teams in that part of the country have the financial resources to sign him to a long-term deal.  It will be interesting to see which borough he chooses to call home.

9 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Dude is already a hero for the Yankees after a week, it’d either take an insane overpayment or the discovery of a Met pajama picture to give me any hope he leaves there for us lol

Sure but it's early as fvck.  As down as I already am on the Mets, I can't pretend that they can't recover enough to make themselves relevant.  Or conversely, that one great series win against a brutal rival means that the Yankees are a lock to win anything.

I think the Mets would absolutely happily go the "insane overpayment" route, but in the end, it will come down to Soto being willing to leave some money on the table, if the Yanks come in lower.  I don't pretend that the Mets have the same appeal as the Yankees; they probably never will.  

Also, it's not like the Yankee future is uber-bright...some guys are getting older there and it's not like they have tons of prospects coming up.  And they've won ONE World Series since the turn of the century.  Yeah, they're always relevant, but that's not the measure of success for the Yankees.  

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Dude is already a hero for the Yankees after a week, it’d either take an insane overpayment or the discovery of a Met pajama picture to give me any hope he leaves there for us lol

These first four games have certainly generated a lot of excitement, but I’m sure there will be valleys amidst the peaks as the season progresses.  I’d like Soto to stick around long-term, but I’m not going to get too up or down with respect to chatter about his free-agency.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sure but it's early as fvck.  As down as I already am on the Mets, I can't pretend that they can't recover enough to make themselves relevant.  Or conversely, that one great series win against a brutal rival means that the Yankees are a lock to win anything.

I think the Mets would absolutely happily go the "insane overpayment" route, but in the end, it will come down to Soto being willing to leave some money on the table, if the Yanks come in lower.  I don't pretend that the Mets have the same appeal as the Yankees; they probably never will.  

Also, it's not like the Yankee future is uber-bright...some guys are getting older there and it's not like they have tons of prospects coming up.  And they've won ONE World Series since the turn of the century.  Yeah, they're always relevant, but that's not the measure of success for the Yankees.  

All excellent points.  I’m pleased with the start the Yankees have had, but this is a team whose focus and intensity have wavered in season’s past.  If they’re still playing like this 35-40 games in, I’ll be more excited.  

I’m lukewarm about the Yankees’ future, as they’ve a few prospects I’m excited about (e.g., Dominguez, Wells, Jones), but there are definitely question marks about the remainder of the roster.  If Soto is signed, then Gleyber Torres is almost certainly gone, and I don’t believe that DJ LeMahieu can play second base full-time.  I also worry about what type of player Judge will be in the last half of his contract.  If the Yankees manage to 1-2 World Series before he declines, then his deal will have been worth it, but the Yankees’ window for success is almost certainly smaller than most will admit.  The acquisition of Soto is itself an admission by Brian Cashman that the organization needs to win quickly.

(Don’t even get me started on Stanton, whom I didn’t want to begin with.)

2 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

New year, same sh!t.  Angel Hernandez is an insufferable jackass.

Seriously I’m amazed that someone somewhere hasn’t snapped and made some kind of physical contact with him.  He’s not only a total fvck up, he’s an arrogant and smug total fvck up.  He has no business being an umpire on ANY level.

• Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Seriously I’m amazed that someone somewhere hasn’t snapped and made some kind of physical contact with him.  He’s not only a total fvck up, he’s an arrogant and smug total fvck up.  He has no business being an umpire on ANY level.

Apparently, his peers love him, which is probably the only reason why he’s managed to keep his job.  Every game he’s behind the plate, something like this happens.

John Sterling Retires as Yankees’ Radio PBP Announcer

John Sterling has called his last game.  I sometimes found his style over the top, but I never questioned his love of baseball or, in particular, the Yankees.  He started broadcasting games in the Bronx around the time I first became a Yankees fan, so I’ve never known a radio booth of which he wasn’t a part.  I will miss him.  Of all the major sports, baseball is the one best suited for radio, and each year, it seems, the sport loses one of its longtime voices.

• Sad 1

I was worried when I heard this was immediate, figured it had to be health related but if it was he certainly acted like it wasn’t on Tiki and Evan, seems he was legit just tired of the grind and wanted to enjoy life.

• Like 1