2024 New York Yankees Season Thread

Just now, ButlerBulldog said:

Yes, bringing Judge back after 2022 was definitely a risk, and it’s also a decision that might cost the Yankees Soto if his asking price ends up being more than they want to pay him given their long-term commitments to other players.  In any event, I think Judge will figure things out and wind up with close to his usual numbers.  People tend to overanalyze statistics skewed by small sample size, but the swings and misses Judge is having now will likely even out before season’s end.

Judge will always be a guy who whiffs plenty...but if he's getting on base and hitting dingers and hitting .275+ and not missing too many games due to injury, fans will live with that part of his game.  

• Like 1

Well all three of them whiffed, so not like Judge didn't have company that inning.

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Judge will always be a guy who whiffs plenty...but if he's getting on base and hitting dingers and hitting .275+ and not missing too many games due to injury, fans will live with that part of his game.  

Although not today, perhaps.  Judge struck out to end the game, and and scattered boos were heard.

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well all three of them whiffed, so not like Judge didn't have company that inning.

It’s rare to see Soto look that overmatched, but even a team like the A’s has a few legitimately good players.  I’m sure the under-25 crowd will be out in force, proclaiming that the season is over, but I’m not going to cry about 15-8.  There’s plenty of baseball still to be played.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

It’s rare to see Soto look that overmatched, but even a team like the A’s has a few legitimately good players.  I’m sure the under-25 crowd will be out in force, proclaiming that the season is over, but I’m not going to cry about 15-8.  There’s plenty of baseball still to be played.

You win 60% of your games over a full season and you’ll be fine.  Yeah if I’m a Yankee fan I’m not worrying at 15-8, even if they’re only 3-5 over their last 8. Long season, bound to be some downs.

• Like 1

And to reiterate:  something needs to happen to Hunter.  fvck that guy.  

• Like 1

Go fvck yourself Hunter you fat “thank god for my daddy” fvck.  You were WRONG.  You fvcked up.  Own it!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/yankees/2024/04/22/umpire-hunter-wendelstedt-ejects-aaron-boone-fan-heckler-mistake/73418470007/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Go fvck yourself Hunter you fat “thank god for my daddy” fvck.  You were WRONG.  You fvcked up.  Own it!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/yankees/2024/04/22/umpire-hunter-wendelstedt-ejects-aaron-boone-fan-heckler-mistake/73418470007/

So he admits that Boone didn’t say anything but believes an ejection was still warranted?  How does that work?  It must be nice to have a job with no expectations or accountability.

8 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

So he admits that Boone didn’t say anything but believes an ejection was still warranted?  How does that work?  It must be nice to have a job with no expectations or accountability.

Lol he tried to say it was someone on the bench, and claimed that makes Boone responsible.  I really HATE when people fvck up and think they can just arrogantly act like they didn’t REALLY.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He should have gone into politics with that kind of fuzzy math rationalization.  He thought it came from the bench (which it didn't) so Boone is responsible for that?  He's not a fvcking chaperone of kids on a camping trip.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Angry 2

5 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

He should have gone into politics with that kind of fuzzy math rationalization.  He thought came from the bench (which it didn't) so Boone is responsible for that?  He's not a fvcking chaperone of kids on a camping trip.

All he had to say was “I’m sorry, I apologize to Aaron, I thought he said something but he clearly didn’t, it turned other it was a fan, my mistake.”  fvcking jerkoff.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

He should have gone into politics with that kind of fuzzy math rationalization.  He thought it came from the bench (which it didn't) so Boone is responsible for that?  He's not a fvcking chaperone of kids on a camping trip.

One thing I realized looking at teams’ schedules: because the Mets get back from their West Coast trip later this week, it’s entirely possible Hunter will be bringing his act across town for the Cardinals series.

If nothing else, at least damned near EVERYONE in the media is calling Hunter out for being a complete a$$hole who simply can’t admit when he’s wrong.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If nothing else, at least damned near EVERYONE in the media is calling Hunter out for being a complete a$$hole who simply can’t admit when he’s wrong.

This whole thing would go away if Hunter said three sentences: “I made a mistake.  I’m sorry.  It won’t happen again.”  Instead, he’s being an obtuse jackass because the unofficial umpire code of egotism demands he double down on his position.  I’m genuinely curious as to whether he’ll be allowed to work the remainder of the Yankees-A’s series.  MLB has historically protected umpires, but in this instance, the video evidence is damning.  They have to do something.

4 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

This whole thing would go away if Hunter said three sentences: “I made a mistake.  I’m sorry.  It won’t happen again.”  Instead, he’s being an obtuse jackass because the unofficial umpire code of egotism demands he double down on his position.  I’m genuinely curious as to whether he’ll be allowed to work the remainder of the Yankees-A’s series.  MLB has historically protected umpires, but in this instance, the video evidence is damning.  They have to do something.

I’ve never understood people who think admitting that you made a mistake and being willing to apologize for it is somehow a sign of weakness.  Not to mention that these people ALWAYS make things worse and harder on themselves than they need to be.  Hunter would’ve gotten some props for simply saying he was sorry, and that would’ve been the end of it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’ve never understood people who think admitting that you made a mistake and being willing to apologize for it is somehow a sign of weakness.  Not to mention that these people ALWAYS make things worse and harder on themselves than they need to be.  Hunter would’ve gotten some props for simply saying he was sorry, and that would’ve been the end of it.

I remember when Jim Joyce blew the call that cost Armando Galarraga a perfect game.  The very next day, he met Galarraga at homeplate and, while fighting back tears, shook his hand and apologized.  Today, Joyce is remembered as a good umpire in part because of the way he handled that situation.  It’s too bad Hunter Wendelstedt doesn’t have even a fraction of Joyce’s humility or self-awareness.  This is going to bite him in the ass bigtime. 

More drama in the Bronx, as A’s outfielder Lawrence Butler was ejected in the 9th inning by homeplate umpire John Tumpane after questioning a called third strike that was clearly above the zone.  The Yankees came away with a 4-3 win.

The Yankees routed the Brewers 15-3 in a game that ended with position players—José Treviño and Owen Miller, respectively—taking the mound for each team, and I think the time has come for MLB to consider some sort of mercy rule to avoid these situations.  The prevalence of arm injuries has increased among pitchers.  No need to subject other players to similar risks by asking them to do something for which they’re not suited.

11 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

The Yankees routed the Brewers 15-3 in a game that ended with position players—José Treviño and Owen Miller, respectively—taking the mound for each team, and I think the time has come for MLB to consider some sort of mercy rule to avoid these situations.  The prevalence of arm injuries has increased among pitchers.  No need to subject other players to similar risks by asking them to do something for which they’re not suited.

A mercy rule is never happening.  Just isn’t.

I have a suggestion that also won’t ever happen:  the equivalent of an “emergency pitcher”, who isn’t technically on either teams’ roster but is brought into situations like tonight’s.  But I get that having guys like that in attendance EVERY game and the costs of employing them when they only figure to pitch in a handful of games at most makes it all too prohibitive though.  Not to mention there would have to be very clearly defined parameters of when such a pitcher could be brought into a game.  I can’t really make a compelling case for how it could possibly work.

17 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

A mercy rule is never happening.  Just isn’t.

I have a suggestion that also won’t ever happen:  the equivalent of an “emergency pitcher”, who isn’t technically on either teams’ roster but is brought into situations like tonight’s.  But I get that having guys like that in attendance EVERY game and the costs of employing them when they only figure to pitch in a handful of games at most makes it all too prohibitive though.  Not to mention there would have to be very clearly defined parameters of when such a pitcher could be brought into a game.  I can’t really make a compelling case for how it could possibly work.

We might be headed for more position-player-as-pitcher action, as the Yankees scored seven runs in the top of the 6th inning of this afternoon’s game versus the Brewers and now hold an 11-4 advantage.

44 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

We might be headed for more position-player-as-pitcher action, as the Yankees scored seven runs in the top of the 6th inning of this afternoon’s game versus the Brewers and now hold an 11-4 advantage.

It’s now 15-5 Yankees following Anthony Rizzo’s 300th career home run.