Al LeiterMania!!

LOTCB

I'm going to be accused of sour grapes somehow, but I'll say this anyway - Leiter TANKED in Florida. He never wanted to be there; he went there out of spite because he felt the Mets had lowballed him and plus Florida was his best (maybe only) offer other than the Mets' token offer. I had a funny feeling he'd pitch well and will continue to pitch well cause of the whole NY thing - plus Yankee Stadium is tailored to lefties anyway, and he even pitched better than I thought he could tonight.

And the Yankees got a sweetheart deal, I only tuned in the game like three times each frigging time I had to hear Morgan and Miller say what a brilliant move it was bringing Leiter in :rolleyes: Brilliant?! Who were the Yankees going to start, the guy in the fifth row? They had to get 'some'body to start the game, and Leiter even with his bloated ERA was a much better option than say Aaron Small or whoever else they were going to pitch. Plus, the Yankees are paying, what $400,000 of his contract? And they gave up like no players. Real brilliance there. I could have done that and I'm nowhere close to a GM.

Edited by Hasan4978

At least you're honest. But I doubt the guy would really tank. He's a competitor. Maybe things were just so bad, he couldn't stop the freefall.

Sometimes, a change of scenery can work.

But to be honest, I had Leiter fluid getting bombed tonight. I was shocked.

Gotta say when the Sox loaded the bases, I was completely comfortable despite it :).

Well Randy Johnson pulled the same crap his last year in Seattle, pitched like garbage to get himself traded then he goes to Houston and is all of a sudden the dominanting Unit again. Maybe in Leiter's case it was more sulking than actually tanking but he wanted to stay in NY, he likes the media spotlight almost as much as Schilling (and I liked Leiter a lot actually until he whined on his way out the door and do like Schilling of course, since I'm not a Yankee fan :lol:)

I don't understand why anyone would be against the Yankees picking up Leiter (I know plenty of people who were). I mean it cost them *nothing* and there is no way even if he had lost it completely that he would be worse than Redding and May. Full disclosure, I thought he'd get roughed up tonight but not as badly as May would have.

I admit I was sweating there in the ninth after Cano made that Chuck Knoblauch like throw, but they pulled it out. That's a game they lose last year.

It really is amazing. After everything this team has been through this year: the terrible start, abysmal defense, underperforming starters, etc they are just a half game out and tied for the WC. Yes, it's true that the only other division in MLB that the Yankees or Red Sox would be first in is the NL West but it is still quite an accomplishment.

I'm torn between my hatred for all things Yankees, and my desire to shout for joy because I always liked the guy.

Let's be honest though, they obviously signed him for his bat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey don't go knocking the bat, he had that nice little butcher-boy triple against (of all teams) the Minnesota Twins a few years back :lol:

Al Leiter is a name we dont mention in my household. I feel like ive told this story before...but...

Back in gradfe school my uncle was on Leiters little league team.. and my uncle wasnt the most athletic kid.. but it was grade school...

Leiter used to make fun of my uncle and all hte other kids who werent as gifted as him...

so if you mention Leiter in front of my grandma she gets upset and rants.. i guess since her youngest child got tormented by him.

Al Leiter is a name we dont mention in my household.  I feel like ive told this story before...but...

Back in gradfe school my uncle was on Leiters little league team.. and my uncle wasnt the most athletic kid.. but it was grade school...

Leiter used to make fun of my uncle and all hte other kids who werent as gifted as him...

so if you mention Leiter in front of my grandma she gets upset and rants.. i guess since her youngest child got tormented by him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol that it is a great story :rofl: