an article about Chris Minard

Belizarius

http://www.adn.com/sports/story/6947823p-6847031c.html

Meanwhile, forward Chris Minard participated in the first day of on-ice drills at New Jersey's rookie-prospects camp. Minard, who scored an ECHL-best 49 goals in 69 games last season with the Aces, signed a contract last month with the Devils' American Hockey League affiliate in Albany, N.Y.

Minard, 23, is scheduled to take part in New Jersey's training camp next week alongside former Aces teammate and NHL star center Scott Gomez of Anchorage.

"I think it's going to be awesome for me, it's going to make me a lot more comfortable," said Minard. "Obviously, the more confident you are going into something, the better off you're going to be.

"If you go in shy, you're not going to do as well."

As one of Gomez's wingers last season, Minard was the chief beneficiary of the former NHL Rookie of the Year's elite play-making skills. Gomez, before being injured in the playoffs, led Alaska to its first division and conference titles by winning the ECHL scoring title.

Minard said he hadn't spoken to Gomez since last season ended. But Minard did hire Carlos Gomez, Scott's father and agent, to represent him. Carlos Gomez helped Minard land his deal with the Albany River Rats and earn the spot in New Jersey's camp.

Assuming Minard doesn't make the Devils' NHL roster out of training camp -- and he's a considerable long shot -- he could start the season with Albany. He signed a two-way contract, which pays him one salary at the AHL level, but a lower salary if he skates for Alaska in the ECHL. He's likely to play for either the River Rats or the Aces, because the Aces own his ECHL rights.

While Minard isn't adverse to a return to the Aces, his goal now is to make a name for himself in New Jersey.

"I'm going to play my game," Minard said. "People think you have to change at the next level or do something different. But I'll do my best in every drill and in every opportunity."

Payne doesn't expect Minard to wear an Alaska uniform this season.

"I've done very little planning to have him back," Payne said. "Chris is making that step and I expect him to play at the next level."

Shuffling the deck

Carlos Gomez said former Aces forward Charles Linglet, whose ECHL playing rights were traded to Las Vegas in June, will attend training camp later this month with the AHL's Peoria (Ill.) Rivermen, with whom the Aces have an affiliation. Gomez is Linglet's agent. ... Minard said he married Stacey Proctor, a childhood friend and his girlfriend for seven years, on June 25 in Ontario.

Chris Minard stats

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=31762

He scored more points as a pro than in junior, funny.