Parise...your thoughts on him

devilsofnj

I'm not a Devil fan but I am very impressed by this guy. He's a great skater and playmaker and has great hockey instincts that you can't teach. Love how he goes to the net too. He always seems involved.

One thing I couldn't understand Saturday was why he only received 12:16 of ice-time. He deserved more based on what I saw.

And that's coming from me. Just wait till you get Elias back. Their top two lines are going to be scary.

They'll have a choice of reuniting the Egg line or keeping Brylin and Mogilny with Gomez and putting Elias with Parise and Kozlov or Gionta.

I'll agree with the previous posters.

I do think that he'll be up and down. He had a great opening night. In the Flyer game he was invisible and in the Ranger game he was buzzing around making plays but didn't get on the scoresheet.

For a young "smaller" kid, I think the bigger players and long schedule are going to take a toll on him.

He has the talent to succeed at this level already. How good? I won't try to guess since (1) I'm not the best judge of hockey talent and (2) too early.

One thing I couldn't understand Saturday was why he only received 12:16 of ice-time. He deserved more based on what I saw.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He did, but the Devils took way too many penalties in that game and the Rangers were double shifting Jaromir Jagr all game long. I believe I watched Jagr out on the PP for the full two minutes more then once in that game which means more ice time for John Madden and the Devils checking line.

Derek, do you have any concerns right now over some of the younger Rangers players having their development negatively impacted by the overreliance on guys like Nylander, Straka, and Jagr?

Edited by Guest

He did, but the Devils took way too many penalties in that game and the Rangers were double shifting Jaromir Jagr all game long.  I believe I watched Jagr out on the PP for the full two minutes more then once in that game which means more ice time for John Madden and the Devils checking line. 

Derek, do you have any concerns right now over some of the younger Rangers players having their development negatively impacted by the overreliance on guys like Nylander, Straka, and Jagr?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not really Unthinkable because the guys who play hard are getting chances. Our PK is mostly made up of those younger players. And Renney has not been afraid to try a Moore or Betts, Prucha or Ward on the power play.

Jagr is going to get a lot of ice-time because he's their best player. When you look at their roster, there aren't many skilled guys on them. So, when they're down late in games, that's going to happen.