Its all about her Son

LetsGoDevils

It's a shame how someone starts out with what seems like honest intent and genuine sincerity about something only to have it turn into a show all for money. If this was truly about spreading the word of keeping up with current events and alerting the public to an unneeded war then Sheehan wouldn't have book deals and getting paid 11,000 bucks for a public speech....that's insane...it all comes down to the dollar signs....it's a shame!

Isn't this the wonders of a capitalistic society though... you can put a price on anything and if you can make money on something you will... I thought you guys was for those things... well, unless it's someone talking against what you believe in anyway

Isn't this the wonders of a capitalistic society though... you can put a price on anything and if you can make money on something you will... I thought you guys was for those things...  well, unless it's someone talking against what you believe in anyway

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We are - it just kind of takes the shine off the silver, if you know what I mean.... :puke:

There is a big difference between being a capitalistic society that believes in entrepreneurship and someone who is making money off of a tragedy for their own gain...apparently they left that out of the "why American capitalism sucks" book you've been reading.

tecnically yes leeds. but another way to put it is that she are trying to get a message across (don't agree nor disagree with it, haven't had the time to read up on this one and I'm losing interest in the war, the luxury of being on the outside), and is at the same time getting paid by organizations that agrees with her message and want her publicity reflected on them.

you paint the picture to rough... that's the same as saying that fox, Cnn et al are making money on people dying... and what can we say about weapons manufacturers in this case...

There is a big difference between being a capitalistic society that believes in entrepreneurship and someone who is making money off of a tragedy for their own gain...apparently they left that out of the "why American capitalism sucks" book you've been reading.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

struck a nerve did I? well, what can I say... I said nothing about american capitalism, in fact I believe that I described your system as similar to our (the Swedish in this case) on this board just the other day (in bruins commie thread)

You, my friend is naive if you belive that organizations and entrepreneurs have some sort of built in concience that stems from the economical structure. The point of organizations are to make money and many will do most anything that is within the law to do it.... that is just human nature.

edit: strike that... there is nothing human about organizations, but that is geting away from the point

Edited by Swede

tecnically yes leeds. but another way to put it is that she are trying to get a message across (don't agree nor disagree with it, haven't had the time to read up on this one and I'm losing interest in the war, the luxury of being on the outside), and is at the same time getting paid by organizations that agrees with her message and want her publicity reflected on them.

you paint the picture to rough... that's the same as saying that fox, Cnn et al are making money on people dying... and what can we say about weapons manufacturers in this case...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

O Swede, fair enough. I cannot argue your points here.

She should just get on her merry way.

O Swede, fair enough.  I cannot argue your points here.

She should just get on her merry way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:P Thing is that what she does may or may not be bad taste, but it's the natural way to go. If offered money, people will tend to accept it. (she propably have people working for her to make sure that she is paid what she should and that are planning where she should go.) If her goal is to reach as much people with her message as possible (and I hope that it is that, not make money) this is what will happen (oh, and undrdog, the same goes for almost anywhere where there is free speech)

No you didn't really strike a nerve. The only point I was trying to make that while the intent of our capitalism is to make money and yes most everywhere that is at any cost it is not our intent to promote nor condone nor teach anything that stems from contriving a plan that exploits a tragedy. As you said it is human nature but it is not capitalism.

Okay.

Let's say a father's child is raped and killed and the murderer gets some kinda light sentance, say three years, because he coughs up the name of another criminal.

The father then speaks out the lax punishment.

He gets in the newspapers and is asked to speak in, oh, say Miami for $10,000.

The father should then turn down the money because he shouldn't profit from the tragedy. Am I getting this straight?

Okay.

Let's say a father's child is raped and killed and the murderer gets some kinda light sentance, say three years, because he coughs up the name of another criminal.

The father then speaks out the lax punishment.

He gets in the newspapers and is asked to speak in, oh, say Miami for $10,000.

The father should then turn down the money because he shouldn't profit from the tragedy. Am I getting this straight?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not so much the speeches and what not it's like leeds said just the whole idea of profiting from her son's death and is actively pursuing that profit, its not being asked to speak somewhere for money its signing the book deal and everything that goes along with it...that's the real difference...the the act of actually pursuing that profit off of a tragedy...IMO anyway.

I mean case in point is the Lt. Colonel Ruter...he does this for a living now...he's getting paid $600 a standard fee....there's a big difference between doing it for a living and making money than using your now almost celebrity type status and getting over paid for it.

Edited by UnderDogX

No you didn't really strike a nerve. The only point I was trying to make that while the intent of our capitalism is to make money and yes most everywhere that is at any cost it is not our intent to promote nor condone nor teach anything that stems from contriving a plan that exploits a tragedy. As you said it is human nature but it is not capitalism.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then where did the "apparently they left that out of the "why American capitalism sucks" book you've been reading." comment come from? were you trying to be cool or something :huh:

Then where did the "apparently they left that out of the "why American capitalism sucks" book you've been reading." comment come from? were you trying to be cool or something :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's no trying....I AM :D no kidding....anyway no I just felt that you were trying to take a knock at American capitalism by saying what she was doing was our capitalistic way of doing things....just assuring you that it's not.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.