Do you watch the OOT games on OLN?

David Puddy

Do you watch the OOT games on OLN?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch the OOT games on OLN?

• Often
    • Occasionally
    • Never
    • No, I watch OOT games on other channels (Center Ice, CBC, etc.)

On the best setup men...the reason i'd take all of those guy's over gomez...is because to me in order to be a top tier set up man you have to have that extra edge and ability to shoot. Because people can just play you for the pass all the time, like they do with gomez, sure even if they play you for the pass on the powerplay you'll end up getting the points, but i've always felt the no.1 reason why forsberg is SO dangerous, and after watching him all season the clear cut best player in the league, is because you can just play him for hte pass, you play him for that WHAM goal. You play him for the shot, bam anotehr goal. I love thornton, but to me, no player is harder to guard than forsberg. I use to hate the guy, but i respect him so much now. He skates different to, he uses a very wide stance to shield the puck perfectly, while he uses his powerful frame to keep you off, and then again you play him for the pass, bam he'll score on you. I've never seen a guy so dangerous on the powerplay, save lemieux and gretzky.

As a pure set up man, yes gomez is probably better than all of them save forsberg and thornton, but he doesnt have that extra punch that all of them have.

But if you want to bring up how allison doesn't have that extra umpf, i can take it, but i dunno allison is such a question mark to me. Because i know in his prime time his passing rivaled that of even adam oates.

Datsyuk is an overrated passer. To me the reason he gets all those points is his puckhandling. He's a top 3 puckhandler and he just does all these crazy things before doing a very average dish, but because he's drawn all the defenders with his crazy puckhandling it looks amazing.

ok on the pure goal scorer argument...ilya kovalchuk with a close second to ovechkin.

Kovalchuk just has a million ways he can burn you...and he knows it. This can be a deterrent and a help. One of kovalchuk's problems is he KNOWS he has the talent to go 1 on 4 and beat all 4 then the goalie, so he tries it EVERY TIME, and he needs to learn that he isn't going to get it off each time. But back to the "pure goal scorer" thing, he has that vicoius one timer that's led to 16 power play goals. His wrist shot is amazing as well, he has a snap shot, he has every shot in the book, plus he can deke like a madman. the only guy who i'd say was a better "pure goal scorer" than kovalchuk was pavel bure.

Ovechkin is almost there, but i don't think ovechkin has the point shot kovalchuk has, or some of the "positional" goals kovalchuk has.

Something about kovalchuk this year that has gone unnoticed is his new found passing. He's not a set up man by any means, but he is a great passer from the point and is among the best at keeping it in. He's had a lot of great 2ndry assists on the powerplay from a brilliant keept pass low, in front shot score. Plays like that. He's also good at wide passes. If he's beat to the far side or corner he can dish it in front very nicely for a goal.

That's a new element to kovalchuk's game that makes him all the more dangerous, it use to be if you beat him wide and towards the goal line he's done, but now he can pull back and deliver killer passes. He's brilliant.

I feel like jagr has always been more of a setup man than a goal scorer...i'm not saying he is a play maker..but he's kind of like crosby in that he does both so well. I feel like a lot of his great goals come from when he's just muscling on that puck and he gets free and uses that insane twisted wrister.

Derek i have a question, why has jagr struggled so much on the powerplay lately?

I try to watch every damn hockey game I can!

Except stupid SPORTSNET ruins my night by showing frickin POOL instead of the Leafs/Pengs game. What is hell is that all about?!!!

However, I got my hockey fix with the Bell Capital Cup (biggest minor tournament in the world!).

Those 11 year olds are sure something. A team from South Florida of all places won whatever division they were in by demolishing Rochester. :blink:

AND :D Got to see a PeeWee team (don't think they're called that..) from Russia. They lost but whatever, those Russians are a smart bunch. Couldn't handle the Canadian body checking so they absolutely CREAMED this poor Canuck kid by triple teamming him at centre ice. Sucker!

:dance: DY-NA-MO MOSK-VA!! DYNAMO MOSKVA! :dance:

I feel like jagr has always been more of a setup man than a goal scorer...i'm not saying he is a play maker..but he's kind of like crosby in that he does both so well.  I feel like a lot of his great goals come from when he's just muscling on that puck and he gets free and uses that insane twisted wrister.

Derek i have a question, why has jagr struggled so much on the powerplay lately?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because:

A.He is the focal point of the PP and teams overplay him.

B.The lack of a pointman is hurting this team. Though Poti and Rucinsky have done a better job since Pelino put that together.

I thought you made some excellent points about Kovalchuk. Particularly his improved passing.