Scott Stevens gets his turn to see jersey go up Friday night in New Je

Rock

Scott Stevens gets his turn to see jersey go up Friday night in New Jersey

Feb. 1, 2006. 02:40 PM

PIERRE LEBRUN

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...d=1044442959412

The Canadian Press

The hockey world gets yet another reminder of the great players that left the game after the NHL lockout when Scott Stevens becomes the first New Jersey Devil to have his jersey raised to the rafters Friday night.

The ceremony before a game against the Hurricanes comes on the heels of similar nights last Saturday in Carolina for Ron Francis and Jan. 12 for Mark Messier in New York.

And like those two players, Stevens is a future Hall of Famer.

``If you really look at what Scott Stevens brought to the Devils, the leadership as the captain, I think he's deserving to have a great night like Mark Messier got in New York,'' star Devils netminder Martin Brodeur.

It will be the first of two jersey ceremonies in New Jersey as former defenceman Ken Daneyko will have his sweater retired on March 24 when the Devils host Boston.

Stevens says it will be an emotional night.

``I'm just going to try and enjoy it,'' the 41-year-old Stevens said in an interview this week. ``It's a great honour and to be the first Devil to have his number retired, it's definitely exciting. I really don't know how to prepare for it. I don't know what I'll say yet but I'm sure it'll be short, I'm a man of few words.''

For a man who didn't say much, he was one of the game's great leaders during his 22-year NHL career, 13 of them in New Jersey. He led by example, and his actions often involved a crushing open-ice hit that turned the game upside down. In his heyday, few opposing forwards voluntarily skated down his side.

``He's my idol,'' said Montreal Canadiens defenceman Sheldon Souray, who began his career in New Jersey. ``It's one of the highlights of my career to have had a chance to play with a guy like that. I guess, coming out of Jersey, it was such a great experience to play with guys like Daneyko, (Scott) Niedermayer, Brodeur, (Doug) Gilmour and these guys, but Scottie just sticks out.

``The leadership, the type of guy he is, the absolute prototype of a professional. I'm happy for the guy. No one deserves the honour more than him.''

Niedermayer, the reigning Norris Trophy winner as the league's top defenceman, also credits Stevens with helping make him the player he is today.

``I'm very fortunate to have had him as a teammate,'' said Niedermayer, who bolted New Jersey for Anaheim last summer. ``He was a huge reason we were able to win three championships. When I broke into the league I was his roommate and defensive partner. I don't think I could have asked for anything better for me, to learn from a guy and play like a guy like that.

``In so many big games he gave us a chance to win.''

Stevens, who also had stops in Washington and St. Louis before heading to New Jersey in 1991, is the NHL's all-time leader in games played by a defenceman with 1,635 and he sits fifth all-time among all players. He posted 196 goals and 712 assists for 908 points and 2,785 penalty minutes. He also holds the NHL record for most career playoff games by a defenceman (233), while his 20 years in the playoffs are tied for second all-time. He was the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP in 2000.

``I'd like to think I was an all-around defenceman that could do a little bit of everything,'' Stevens said when asked to describe himself as a player. ``Obviously I was a physical player. I guess I'd like to be recognized as a guy that came to play every night. And a lot of times had to play through injuries.''

Amazingly, Stevens never won a Norris, although he was twice a runner-up. That's the price you pay for playing in the same era as Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey, Chris Chelios, Al MacInnis, Brian Leetch and Nicklas Lidstrom.

But to Devils fans, Stevens was a huge reason for transforming a franchise not associated with winning. The Devils had never won more than 38 games in a season before his arrival. They would post 10 seasons of 40 or more wins with Stevens leading the charge, and only missed the playoffs once during his 13 seasons with the team.

``I guess I wouldn't have believed it,'' Stevens said when asked if he ever thought the Devils would win three Cups during his time there. ``But it's been a pleasure being part of the rebuilding process, being a piece of the puzzle as we built a championship team. It was nice being part of that and being able to win three Stanley Cups and sort of put hockey on the map in New Jersey.''

Said Brodeur: ``I think when you talk about the Devils, there are only a few names that would come out there. Scott Stevens is one of them. The guy brought three championships to this organization.''

But he was ready to walk way. Like Francis and Messier, Stevens has absolutely no regrets he didn't come back after the lockout.

``I feel like I accomplished a lot of the things I wanted to accomplish as a player,'' said the native of Kitchener, Ont. ``It just felt like it was time. I wanted to spend more time at home with my family.''

Stevens still lives in the New Jersey area with his wife and two teenage kids.

``I've been able to do a lot of things and I couldn't do before because of hockey,'' said Stevens. ``I was a hockey where it was hockey 24/7 for 23 years. It's been nice to do other things and not really have a schedule.''

And besides, he's not sure the new NHL is for him.

``Yeah, it definitely looks a little different,'' he said. ``You get the odd game that seems to have some physical play and good hockey, but you don't see a lot of those games for some reason.

``I think personally there's not enough contact, not enough one on one battles like there used to be and there's too many power plays. But you know, the feeling I get is that 50 per cent of people like it and 50 per cent don't. Maybe if I they could find something in between it mind appease everybody.''

Yeesh -- the writer is a fool. What did he just listen to a couple Stevens interviews read the transcript of his retirement call -- and read clips from players probably sent out over the wires. Blah...

and Scotty has obviously got his "what I'm doing now that I'm retired" speach a little too rote... you have another daughter (or did she move out? :doh1: )

What I want is more stories of what Stevens did off ice... how he freaked guys out with a look or how his tone of voice changed and stuff... how it probably gets all clear and peircing when he's irritated. Gomez is the only guy who shares the good stuff! :lol:

One thing I do like is the Professional ref... that's exactly what he is and players shouldn't be more like Roenick. No.. I DON'T want to hear about how you feel or get all touchy feely --- being professional says it all -- says MORE in fact than some sh!tehead controlling all the personal stuff he puts puts out there -- that's too impersonal - professional behavior is far more personal. I realized that when I went on a first date with this guy and he acted like he was telling me all this personal stuff... then not two weeks later I read it ALL -- ALL OF IT! in a magazine. I was just like "you jackass -- and you expect me to actually get serious about you?" How do we get so confused that we think immodesty is a GOOD thing? ** sigh** but I digress.

Yeesh -- the writer is a fool. What did he just listen to a couple Stevens interviews read the transcript of his retirement call -- and read clips from players probably sent out over the wires. Blah...

and Scotty has obviously got his "what I'm doing now that I'm retired" speach a little too rote... you have another daughter (or did she move out? :doh1: )

What I want is more stories of what Stevens did off ice... how he freaked guys out with a look or how his tone of voice changed and stuff... how it probably gets all clear and peircing when he's irritated. Gomez is the only guy who shares the good stuff! :lol:

One thing I do like is the Professional ref... that's exactly what he is and players shouldn't be more like Roenick. No.. I DON'T want to hear about how you feel or get all touchy feely --- being professional says it all -- says MORE in fact than some sh!tehead controlling all the personal stuff he puts puts out there -- that's too impersonal - professional behavior is far more personal. I realized that when I went on a first date with this guy and he acted like he was telling me all this personal stuff... then not two weeks later I read it ALL -- ALL OF IT! in a magazine. I was just like "you jackass -- and you expect me to actually get serious about you?" How do we get so confused that we think immodesty is a GOOD thing? ** sigh** but I digress.

Its a article from an OUT OF TOWN NEWSPAPER,just be happy for some positive press.......settle down beavis

I liked it, i hadn't seen the Neids or Souray quoted yet so it worked for me....

Well, it's OK. <_< but this is IT folks - all she wrote... we need BETTER information than this!! We need Stevens info AND NOT in sound bites and newswire clips <_<

but I liked the player blurbs all the same - I mean something is indeed better than nothing

:evil:

I feel like I'm loosing tug of war :rant:

Well, it's OK. <_< but this is IT folks - all she wrote... we need BETTER information than this!! We need Stevens info AND NOT in sound bites and newswire clips <_<

but I liked the player blurbs all the same - I mean something is indeed better than nothing

:evil:

I feel like I'm loosing tug of war :rant:

No worries,as devs fans we need to stick together and all be pulling the rope in the same direction! :evil: