Devils' 'D' can use help

Elias26

Link

Devils' 'D' can use help

Friday, September 22, 2006

By TOM GULITTI

STAFF WRITER

PHILADELPHIA -- Devils coach Claude Julien has made it clear throughout training camp that there are jobs up for grabs on his defense.

The numbers back up his words.

With Richard Matvichuk still recovering from back surgery, the Devils have only five solid locks on their once-vaunted defense -- Colin White, Brian Rafalski, Paul Martin, David Hale and Brad Lukowich. That would leave at least two openings.

Julien has been using the team's busy preseason schedule -- Thursday night's 2-1 loss to Philadelphia was the team's fourth game in five days -- to take a good look at a host of young players and a couple of veterans vying for those positions.

Scott Lachance, who is in camp as a free agent tryout, and rookies Alex Brooks, Andy Greene and Sean Zimmerman all got a chance Thursday night. After playing in the team's first three preseason games, rookies Johnny Oduya and Tomas Harant got a night off.

"For us, it's giving guys opportunities and getting to look at certain guys and see how they handle themselves and giving some of them experience," Julien said.

Greene played for the second consecutive night after getting his first NHL preseason experience in Wednesday's 2-0 loss to the Rangers at Madison Square Garden.

"I really can't say if there's an opportunity or not, but you have to take advantage when you're in there," Greene said. "Hopefully, you can continue to keep playing. It's good to get a look. Hopefully, it just gets better as it goes on."

Oduya, a former Washington Capitals draft pick who played professionally in Sweden for five years, has made a strong case for making the team.

"He's played well," Julien said. "He skates so well and carries the puck out. With the new rules, those are the type of players that seem to excel. He's played well since Day One and we'll continue to look at him."

Matt Corrente, who was drafted 30th overall in June, is only 18, but he's still with the team after playing consecutive solid games against the Rangers. That the Devils didn't return him to his junior team in Saginaw, Mich., for its first regular-season game tonight seems to indicate he has a chance of staying in New Jersey.

"It's not going to change anything with the way I play," Corrente said. "I'm just going out every day and battling. It's not in my hands."

MOGILNY UPDATE: The second medical opinion right wing Alexander Mogilny wanted on his arthritic left hip is believed to have confirmed the Devils' doctors' diagnosis that he is physically unable to play. The Devils are expected to apply for long-term-injury status for Mogilny so his $3.5 million salary won't count against the salary cap, but, according to an NHL official, that has not yet occurred.

Because Mogilny finished last season in the minors, the Devils will try to prove his injury preceded his demotion and hope the league gives them special dispensation. Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello declined comment on Mogilny's status.

Oduya, a former Washington Capitals draft pick who played professionally in Sweden for five years, has made a strong case for making the team.

"He's played well," Julien said. "He skates so well and carries the puck out. With the new rules, those are the type of players that seem to excel. He's played well since Day One and we'll continue to look at him."

Well I believe all we swedish devils fans knew all along what he's capable of and it's not a surprise to us that he has a shot on a D spot. Anyone seen him in the first three preseason games? Looked good or bad? I know what Julien thinks but a second opinion is always nice.

i would be shocked if corrente makes the team because if he falters, he can't go back to junior (just lowell). and that really might be the best place for him.

He can't go to either once he plays 10 games - he's on the NHL roster for the rest of the season. Gulitti's talking out his ass - Corrente's not going to make the team this year or next.