What Our Third Graders Are Being Taught

LOULAM1

http://www.familypride.org/blog/2007/01/ne...der-attack.html

"New Jersey school district under attack for teaching about gay and lesbian-parented families - Family Pride responds

On Monday, WCAU-TV/NBC 10 Philadelphia reported on the Evesham, NJ School District's decision to include all loving families in their school's ciriculium. According to the report, parents were angry that their children were being taught about gay and lesbian-parented families. Click below to watch the news clip.

Click on link above to see clip...

After seeing this clip, I decided to see what all the fuss is about - and watch the film in question that was shown to the elementary school students. The same film that, according to one father, is "absolutely appalling." The video is titled That's a Family and was produced specifically for elementary school students by Women's Education Media as part The Respect For All Project.

The film is a half-hour documentary that helps kids understand the many different shapes of today's families - foster parents, grandparent-headed families, guardians, single parents, multi-racial families, families that speak different languages or have varying religous beliefs, adopted families, divorced parents and yes, gay and lesbian parents. The film defines guardian, race, gay, lesbian and divorce in a way that children can understand. One child states, "There are many different ways to be a family. It matters that you love each other and take care of each other."

This film isn't about "gay marriage." It's about teaching children an important and "poignant lesson about love and family," as stated by Robin Williams. And I'd have to agree. Is it ever too early to teach children about diversity? Is it ever too early to teach children that love makes a family?

Yes, I'm sure that children do have questions after watching this film. But is that necessarily a bad thing? As parents, it is our responsibility to teach children that there are many different kinds of loving families. Films like That's a Family are powerful tools in facilitating that discussion.

You stood up with Family Pride when the Philadelphia School District came under attack in October for acknowledging Gay & Lesbian History Month. Stand up again and come to the defense of the Evesham School District. If you don't live in New Jersey, send an email to the school district through Garden State Equality. If you do live in New Jersey, or the surrounding area, go to the school board meeting on February 13 at 8:00PM (25 South Maple Avenue, Marlton). Act now and stand up for all loving families.

posted by Family Pride at 11:08 AM

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I am a producer at Fox News Channel and I was hoping I can get some information on this story. Is this video shown in any other schools across the state? Is it being shown and parents are happy kids are getting shown a diversity video?

Thanks,

Shira

shira.weitz@foxnews.com

10:03 AM

Anonymous said...

As parents, it is our responsibility to teach children that there are many different kinds of loving families.

Really? Why? Seriously. I'm curious why this is necessary instead of a general program encouraging students to treat everyone fairly and discouraging bullying in any form. And if indeed it is, as you yourself say, our responsibility as parents, then why is the state taking that responsibility from us? Perhaps some families feel that 8-years-old is too young to know about homosexuality. It's their right to choose when or if to have that discussion, not that state's.

11:11 PM

Family Pride said...

In response to "anonymous,"

Fact of the matter is that research shows that general discussions about bullying and respecting differences do not have the same impact as discussing specific kinds of differences and educating kids on those differences. Also, 8 year olds will learn about all kinds of different family structures whether their parents are ready for them to know or not. Talking about having two moms or two dads doesn’t require a discussion of sex or sexuality, and if this conversation happens at school it’s a perfect opportunity for parents who don’t share the same perspective to pass on to their kids their own belief system - much as they might about divorce or other topics about which they may have strong opinions.

9:23 AM"

Should our kids be taught this in the 3rd grade, or not at all? Regardless, welcome to the state of NJ as we are a breeding ground for the liberal agenda in our schools!!!! :argh::argh::argh:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Should our kids be taught this in the 3rd grade, or not at all? Regardless, welcome to the state of NJ as we are a breeding ground for the liberal agenda in our schools!!!! :argh::argh::argh:

If "liberal agenda" = "learning about diversity and different family types", then good for New Jersey.

Look, kids can see Johnny being picked up at day care by his two dads when he's only 4. If anything this video needs to be shown to younger kids. If we wait until high school like the one asshat said, little Johnny is going to take a lot of abuse for having two male parents. Kids need to be taught in the FORMATIVE years that families come in all shapes, sizes and colours.

As for parents being sent a note home, if they were going to show a video against racism, would they bother sending a warning? Same sh!t, different hatred.

So Petey and Don, it's ok for the minority to make decisions in school districts without consulting parents first?

The family... #1 should be teaching tolerance, NOT THE SCHOOL!!! Also, " FORMATIVE years that families come in all shapes, sizes and colours". Please define "FORMATIVE years"!

Public school should be teaching tolerance. If parents want to raise their kids as bigots they should home school them.

Last Wednesday, the district issued a statement on its Web site saying, in part: "The Evesham Township School District does include teaching of the many variety of families that represent our community. The concept is taught from the perspective of accepting and respecting all of our children. Its main focus is to understand the diversity of family backgrounds, and to note that the roles and responsibilities in families are similar."

The statement goes on to say, "The objective of this unit of study is not to advocate any particular lifestyle. Instead, it is to discourage prejudice against family members and protect children from presumptions that cause them to feel a lack of full acceptance of family and self that everyone is due."

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=...53084&rfi=6

That sums it up pretty well.

Edited by PeteyNice

So you agree that it is the responsibility of the parent or parents to raise their children "bigots" :blink: (you sound a little upset) Petey, not the school? How was the majority consulted on whether or not this film should be shown?

How quickly you edit your posts!!!!!!

Edited by LOULAM1

I'm not upset at all. Did you even watch the clips of the video that are online? It is not about sex. It is about tolerance and respect. Something that should be taught as often and in as many ways as possible to children of all ages.

The school board was elected by a majority and they set the curriculum. And, according to the article I linked above:

Smith also said a letter was sent home to parents in September informing them that the health curriculum was revised and would include supplemental educational material.

As is always standard district policy, parents can opt their children out of particular parts of curriculum, Smith said. Also, curriculum materials, including videos, can be reviewed by parents at any time, Smith said.

It sounds like parents were informed of what was going on and had an opportunity to see what it was about before it was shown.

If parents want to raise their kids as bigots they should take it upon themselves. They should expect that a school will be trying to do the opposite. These are not two equally acceptable positions that are competing.

Edit: yes, I edited that post because I posted prematurely, without reading the entire article. It was my mistake and I corrected it by removing my ill informed statements.

Edited by PeteyNice

This subject is probably a little too complex for 3rd grades. 5th grade is when this should probably be introduced, if not a little bit later.

But this is something that has to be introduced to the children eventually, and through school is not a bad way either. If the incidents of same sex marriages is on the rise, and more children in school have gay or lesbian parents, then what's the harm in showing this video and dispelling some of the myths that kids might pick up in other places...maybe even at home from bigoted parents.

Are letters sent home when sex ed or drug tapes are shown? I honestly have no idea, my son isn't school age yet and I haven't spoken to other parents about it...

I do not have a problem with this. Our school teaches tolerance. Guidance counselor teaches a new character education trait every month and one month its tolerance/acceptance. In the lower grades this just entails being accepting of people who are different, jsut cause they are older, or look or dress differetnt or do their hair different or have different skin color.. Others include honest,y compassion, trustworthiness. They do not show videos, they talk and read books, but if a video was shown and contained this in it, not the whole video being about it (i didnt see the video) then this wouldnt bother me. When they teach it to 3-5 they speak specifically about race and ethnic/cultural things, so I would have no problem if this fell under there also.

Kids already know so much by third grade. I have first graders who bring things up that shock me and that I didnt know until like 5th or 6th grade. They are not blind to these things and helping them understand it is not a bad thing, in my opinon. I taught fourth for 3 years and they already know about gays/lesbians so why not show them a video telling them they should be tolerant of people who are different then them,

Edited by langsgirl

Letters are sent home for sex Ed....in our school and my old district. but they dont get that until 5th grade, which has also been under much scrutiny, many teachers in our school feel that should be taught earlire because of the things many students in our school say and do, etc.

This subject is probably a little too complex for 3rd grades. 5th grade is when this should probably be introduced, if not a little bit later.

I think you are underestimating today's youth. There isn't anything complex to this at all. At the age of 2 kids are gathering in signals that tell them that family = man + woman. Unless presented with other family units at a very young age, it easily gets cemented that anything else is foreign and needs to be ridiculed. The video doesn't present WHY little Jimmy has two dads, or why Suzy has 2 moms or even why Tommy has only a mom (or only a dad). It only needs to show that this exists and is not something to be ridiculed.

I remember a feminist teacher I once had. She took her 7 year old son to a new doctor. They got into the office, the doctor said "Hi Wayne. I'm Wendy and I'm going to be your doctor.", and the kid went screaming into the waiting room. His mother, completely bewildered ran after the kid to ask what is wrong and the kid said "She's a woman. She can't be a doctor. I want a real doctor, not a nurse." Obviously my teacher, being a feminist, was absolutely aghast. How did she bring her own kid up to think that women can't be doctors? Where did she go wrong? Well, she did nothing horribly wrong... just that kids pick up strange stuff along the way... what they hear from other kids, what they see on TV, what they are exposed to in their own life. Unless presented with diversity early in life, kids will view those whom are different as an affront.

I've read a few studies about children adopted by gay parents. Many state that children are better off not in families with gay parents, not because the children are not given the love and attention that they need, but solely because of the ridiculing and abuse they get from their peers. So this video needs to be presented to kids *BEFORE* the ridiculing begins. And believe you me, kids start teasing others about being different LONG before Grade 5.

I have first graders who ridicule a girl in the class for being overweight.. so I will agree that the ridiculing starts well before grade 5.

Edited by langsgirl

IMO

Parents should of been notified and allowed to view the video prior to

the children. Don you say 7 underestimate our youth but you on the other

hand my overestimate. Believing(maybe ) they are ready for this and or

anything. This video if it is to be shown should be in line with Sex Education.

These children are young and can be easily confused.

Something that would be taught in church.

And it is taught in church, which is good but it's not enough. But what about gay marriage, do you expect the church to be accepting and tolerant towards that, or would they come at it with a bias?

It worked with giving blacks a fairer shake at things, no?

Please don't try and bring racism into the debate here as it holds no validity. You are simply trying to deflect from the real topic at hand. I'm sure there are just as many "black" parents upset with the fact their kids are being schooled on gay marriage in the 3'rd grade!

The kids color doesn't matter anymore here Don, yes there is racism but not on the level that you are inclined to think.

There is a problem in NJ with the curriculum being taught in our schools and it is the teachers unions that are benefiting (along with Trenton) when it comes to the $$$$ they are given to teach this cr^p by the private sector!

Black is not the issue... the "kids" are the issue!

Church. Parents. Seems enough to me. Why isn't it enough for you?

Because parents don't have as much influence over children as they once did. Kids are learning more from TV, the internet, their friends, and school. They spend more quality time with those things than their parents. Church they attend sporadically, many not at all. That's why it's not enough.

Because parents don't have as much influence over children as they once did. Kids are learning more from TV, the internet, their friends, and school. They spend more quality time with those things than their parents. Church they attend sporadically, many not at all. That's why it's not enough.

I hope you are never a parent because you sound exactly like what is wrong with this country!! If you have a child it's called responsibilty!!

Also on a side note: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,250020,00.html

Our great educational system at work!

Edited by LOULAM1

Please don't try and bring racism into the debate here as it holds no validity. You are simply trying to deflect from the real topic at hand. I'm sure there are just as many "black" parents upset with the fact their kids are being schooled on gay marriage in the 3'rd grade!

Sure, liberals had to drag the conservatives kicking and screaming into the 20th century with civil rights for blacks. Guess we'll just have to drag you into the 21st century as well. Teach kids to accept others of different race is on par with teaching kids to accept others with different family backgrounds as well.

Even those religious folk who condemn the parents shouldn't be against this - certainly they can't see the child as having done something wrong to deserve ridicule.

Sure, liberals had to drag the conservatives kicking and screaming into the 20th century with civil rights for blacks. Guess we'll just have to drag you into the 21st century as well. Teach kids to accept others of different race is on par with teaching kids to accept others with different family backgrounds as well.

Even those religious folk who condemn the parents shouldn't be against this - certainly they can't see the child as having done something wrong to deserve ridicule.

Wrong again Don. It was the Republicans who passed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to the dismay of the Democrats.

Al Gore Sr. voted against it. Republicans have done more for blacks then the Democrats ever had.

The Dems believe in creating state dependents, giving handouts for votes. Sort of like Clinton giving the Chinese nuclear secrets for campaign donations.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.