Who do you want to see in a Devils jersey next year?

stevestevens

I love this idea, Philly, but the market is settling down. After the lockout, none of the teams really knew what was going on - look at the contracts Pronger and Thornton signed, they're a joke now. Players far worse are going to be making a lot more money. Since teams know what the market's like these days, they now lock up their superstar players before they can get to free agency, like the Canucks did with Luongo, and Tampa Bay with Brad Richards. The market isn't going to get any better. Patrick Marleau will likely be the best thing available next year, and he's no superstar.

I would not sign one of the big centers either, but bypassing this market altogether guarantees the Devils will have a hard time making it out of the first round, and could struggle to make the playoffs. Ideally I'd like to see Forsberg but I hear he's unavailable - tough luck.

There will always be players available. Someone will have a falling out or just want to test the market. At this point, most of the big spenders are tied into long term contacts while others are deciding that the cap is to high for them. There will only be a few teams competing for the big names in the next few years.

Marleau is better than the big 3 from this year IMO.

As for todays losses, I think this is a matter of taking one step back so that we can take a few forward. We could've signed Gomez and Raffy and been a 2nd round team forever and Lou realizes that, but that's not good enough

As for todays losses, I think this is a matter of taking one step back so that we can take a few forward. We could've signed Gomez and Raffy and been a 2nd round team forever and Lou realizes that, but that's not good enough

Okay, but when are those next steps forward going to be taken? Will it be this year or an indeterminate number of years in the future?