An honest question

UnderDogX

So we all know the cap problems the Rags are going to be in now and last I heard they have about 7 mil to sign 4 players including Henrik, Avery, Prucha, and Hossa....now there is no way they'll sign all four and obviously Henrik has to be their top priority...more than likely Avery will get the boot in my opinion...anyway to make a long question short...if we were to get the oportunity to sign Hossa or Prucha because the Rags had to let them go would this be a possibility?? I mean Prucha especially has some skill and the fact that he's a fellow Czech would be interesting to see him play with Elias....say what you will but I think the infusion of a few more non-Americans could help the team chemistry a bit....I believe the team dynamic could change in a positive way if a player like Elias had a fellow countryman on the team...speaking only in terms of the forwards it'd be nice to see this lineup

Elias - Zubrus - Prucha

Parise - Zajac - Gionta

Pando - Madden - Langs

Janssen/Rupp - Dowd/Pelley - Clarkson/Brylin

Of course it's still way to early to predict what the Devils are going to do anyway but figured I'd throw this out there...

beats the "great now we'll never make the playoffs" threads :)

OK, don't get excited over this yet. First, nobody knows what cap space they really have. I've heard anything between 7-14 million. Second, there is a difference between the summer cap and the cap you have to be under a few days before the season starts. So, add $5M onto the lowest number you have seen and, like what happened with the Devils last summer, that is the least amount of $$$ Sather has to work with this summer. He can sign players up to that amount and figure out how to get under it later, just as Lou did. And, I can assure you, nobody is coming across the Hudson when he gets rid of salary. So stop thinking about it. And Lou isn't going to give anyone an offer sheet.

Addtionally, remember that you don't know what kind of contract they will offer to Shanahan, it could be something with a low base salary and significant bonus clauses, as a player over the age of 35 signing a 1-year deal, he's eligible for that. They can exceed the in-season cap by 7 1/2% for placeholders for players who have bonuses in their contracts. So there is that to play with. It all has to be included in the 10% they can be over in the summer cap but they don't have to get completely below the in-season cap if that's why they are over.