Rangers to retire Leetch's #2

brodeurrocks

Also, if Neids sticks around and plays for 4 more years, he will surpass Steven's carrear numbers....if, of course, he sticks around.

Nieds is exactly 300 points behind Stevens right now according to hockeydb.com so that means he will have to average 75 points a season when his career high is 69 so it's more like 5 or 6 seasons probably for a guy who has never been asked to take a defense first position. Stevens was the best PP defenseman the Devils had and he graciously accepted a role that wouldn't allow him to keep racking up PP points, Nieds never had to do something like that.

Nieds best season saw him score 15 goals with 54 assists for 69 points and +6. Stevens best season was 18 goals and 60 assists for 78 points and +53. The part that surprised me is that Stevens only commited 26 more PIMs in these seasons, which is surprising due to Stevens more aggressive physical play. So I'm going to look at their best season as the top levels of their talent and Stevens top year beats Nieds no problem.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for Steven's 78 point season, bravo to him...thats quite an accomplishment...but he never got more than 31 in a season after 93-94.

Stevens also had 8 season of scoring over 50 points while Nieds only has 4. Obviously we all know why Stevens numbers drop off at 93-94, because his role was completely changed.

Nieds is exactly 300 points behind Stevens right now according to hockeydb.com so that means he will have to average 75 points a season when his career high is 69 so it's more like 5 or 6 seasons probably for a guy who has never been asked to take a defense first position. Stevens was the best PP defenseman the Devils had and he graciously accepted a role that wouldn't allow him to keep racking up PP points, Nieds never had to do something like that.

Nieds best season saw him score 15 goals with 54 assists for 69 points and +6. Stevens best season was 18 goals and 60 assists for 78 points and +53. The part that surprised me is that Stevens only commited 26 more PIMs in these seasons, which is surprising due to Stevens more aggressive physical play. So I'm going to look at their best season as the top levels of their talent and Stevens top year beats Nieds no problem.

In fairness to Niedermayer -

A: He played in a more defense first era for his prime.

B: Stevens played forward for the Capitals on their power play from time to time.

C: Penalties are called much more strictly now. However, Niedermayer takes at least 5 moronic penalties a year, which is probably net -1.5 goals for his team.

Honestly, I don't see how anyone over the age of 17 could take Niedermayer over Stevens in their primes. Stevens could dominate every facet of the game and intimidate opponents. Stevens is an all-time legend - a top 10 defenseman of all time. Niedermayer is not - he could have been.

In fairness to Niedermayer -

A: He played in a more defense first era for his prime.

B: Stevens played forward for the Capitals on their power play from time to time.

C: Penalties are called much more strictly now. However, Niedermayer takes at least 5 moronic penalties a year, which is probably net -1.5 goals for his team.

Honestly, I don't see how anyone over the age of 17 could take Niedermayer over Stevens in their primes. Stevens could dominate every facet of the game and intimidate opponents. Stevens is an all-time legend - a top 10 defenseman of all time. Niedermayer is not - he could have been.

snoopExPost.jpg

Wow...my a$$hole is burning after reading all the responses...njdevs.com sure turns into a prison shower when somebody makes an argument against the ultimate captain...

In fairness, I did make a mistake when reading up on the stats of Scott Stevens...too much typing, not enough reading. Sorry 'bout that. Upon further review, it's obvious that catching Stevens will be near impossible, especially given the idiotic timeframe I sh!t out. 4 years... :doh1:

I also never knew Stevens as Cap...I knew he wore the C but thats about it...guess I should have read into it further before making indefenseable comments about his lack of scoring prowess. He joined the Devs in 91...I was 10. Again... :doh1:

In light of this new information, I do recognize Stevens as being the better player...I based my argument on stuff that just wasn't true. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

In recognition of my dumb comments, I have removed Stevens' banner as my avatar and replaced it with a picture of Corky from Life Goes On, signifying the "waterhead-esqe" comments I made and where they came from. Lesson learned...sunrise, sunset.

Wow...my a$$hole is burning after reading all the responses...njdevs.com sure turns into a prison shower when somebody makes an argument against the ultimate captain...

In fairness, I did make a mistake when reading up on the stats of Scott Stevens...too much typing, not enough reading. Sorry 'bout that. Upon further review, it's obvious that catching Stevens will be near impossible, especially given the idiotic timeframe I sh!t out. 4 years... :doh1:

I also never knew Stevens as Cap...I knew he wore the C but thats about it...guess I should have read into it further before making indefenseable comments about his lack of scoring prowess. He joined the Devs in 91...I was 10. Again... :doh1:

In light of this new information, I do recognize Stevens as being the better player...I based my argument on stuff that just wasn't true. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

In recognition of my dumb comments, I have removed Stevens' banner as my avatar and replaced it with a picture of Corky from Life Goes On, signifying the "waterhead-esqe" comments I made and where they came from. Lesson learned...sunrise, sunset.