Rangers to retire Leetch's #2

brodeurrocks

Congrats to Leetch, I always liked him as a player, even if he played for the bad guys. :whistling:

Isn't about time your stubborn GM stopped disrespecting a couple of the players who helped win those three Cups by handing out numbers to just anyone?

MacLean and Niedermayer deserve to be retired. Lamoriello is a great executive but it's about time I'm truthful. He's far from perfect and his disrespect to both are sad. For what it's worth, Claude Lemieux should also get a night because the Devils probably don't win their first two Cups without him. If they can honor a loyal good guy like Ken Daneyko, then they can also honor one of their most money players who helped teach them how to win.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I take from this thread is this: If you post on a Yankees board that the Red Sox will retire Curt Schilling's number, you will get some biased responses based on the hatred for the franchise. No way around that.

tsdevils, all due respect I disagree...Leetch does deserve his number retired...he had more then 1 great season, and was a big time part of the Rangers for a long time.

Now about comparing the number of jerseys retired by the Rangers versus how many the Devils retire based on Cups, consider this: What was one of the biggest points ever made about the Devils from 1994-2003? They had 4 good lines, great defensive team, great goalie, great GM etc...BUT...lack of major star power and they still won, sure they had stars, but not as many as teams like Colorado, Detroit, etc.....the Rangers are different..they have had the star power a little bit more over time more then the Devils did, so hence, more numbers retired.

I will say I believe MacLean should have his number retired. He, IMO was close to being every bit Mr. Devil as Daneyko was during his time. Say what you want about Neids, but he was a DOMINANT d-man who was a big part of 3 Stanley Cups to Jersey...so what he left on bad terms? Like Hasek with Buffalo, you have to look at what they did when they were there, not just how they left.

Edited by LOTCB

I will say I believe MacLean should have his number retired. He, IMO was close to being every bit Mr. Devil as Daneyko was during his time. Say what you want about Neids, but he was a DOMINANT d-man who was a big part of 3 Stanley Cups to Jersey...so what he left on bad terms? Like Hasek with Buffalo, you have to look at what they did when they were there, not just how they left.

Leetch deserves the number retirement, as do Richter, Messier, etc. Those jersey's were basically retired, now they just made it official.

Graves' number 9 is basically unofficially retired. Other than Pavel Bure (who called Graves personally to ask him if he could use it), no one has worn it since. Number retirements are all up to a teams personal decisions.

Look at Mike Vernon getting #30 retired in Calgary. He was a hometown guy who done good, but was never dominant in Calgary, although he was amazing when they took the cup in 89.

Hell, look at the Minnesota Wild. They retired #1 for their fans, and how many points have those jerks every scored? :D

That was Espo's #7 that Bourque gave up and he then became # 77.

and just because Lou doesn't retire a jersey, does not mean that some future GM won't retire it.

Lou has to retire someday...

Grudges shouldn't be held forever. If that were true, he wouldn't be back in the organization. Though technically he's gotten the shaft twice in that department.

He was one of the greatest Devils to ever play. I just differ here.

What? Gotten the shaft twice? So you're saying he should've been head coach both times Lou took over? Maybe he should find some organization that respects him more.

Please stop talking about the Devils, Derek. You're not very good at it. MacLean shouldn't be retired, and neither should Niedermayer. The only reasons these things are being talked about is because Daneyko got his number retired. John MacLean was a very good player for several seasons. So was Niedermayer - who had 2, or arguably 3, great seasons with New Jersey interspersed with ones where he didn't seem to care a great deal. The way both players departed left a sour taste in Devils' fans mouths.

Leetch's number obviously deserves retirement.

Edited by Triumph

So was Niedermayer - who had 2, or arguably 3, great seasons with New Jersey interspersed with ones where he didn't seem to care a great deal. The way both players departed left a sour taste in Devils' fans mouths.

No offence but I think you're underestimating Neidermayer's imapct on the Dev's...he was easily the most talented defensemen we ever had, including Stevens. Sure Stevens was an incredible leader, motivator and he could level a Mac truck with his shoulder but Neids always had more pure hockey talent. He has better hands, a better shot and was one of the speediest defensemen in the leauge. Still is.

I also don't fault Neids for leaving the way he did...he took less money to try to win a Cup with his brother. Can't blame the guy for that. Personally, I feel that if Lou had picked up Rob Niedermeyer when he was a free agent, Scott would still be a Dev...no doubt in my mind. Maybe thats why we have no many brothers in the system now...Parise, Gionta, Pandolfo...hmmmm....

This may be blasphemy but I don't think Nieds had more natural talent than Stevens. Stevens had a shot that was much harder than Nieds shot, Stevens obviously owns the physical part, Nieds owns the skating part, Stevens owns the consistency part. There is a talent to the physical game so to write that off as not a talent is short selling hockey in general.

Look at Stevens the year he should have won the Norris, Nieds hasn't and never will put up a season like that, IMO, because Nieds doesn't have the overall upside Stevens did.

Edited by Devils731

Niedermayer better than Stevens? Holy revisionist history, batman. I know you said more talented Bulletproof, but I'm not even giving you that because a lot of guys have immense talent, including Scott Stevens. The great ones apply that talent to the best of their abilities, and the winner of THAT contest is Scott Stevens, hands down.

This may be blasphemy but I don't think Nieds had more natural talent than Stevens. Stevens had a shot that was much harder than Nieds shot, Stevens obviously owns the physical part, Nieds owns the skating part, Stevens owns the consistency part. There is a talent to the physical game so to write that off as not a talent is short selling hockey in general.

Look at Stevens the year he should have won the Norris, Nieds hasn't and never will put up a season like that, IMO, because Nieds doesn't have the overall upside Stevens did. There is a talent to the physical game so to write that off as not a talent is short selling hockey in general.

Never wrote off the physical aspect of the game...Stevens had an energy and a tenacity that Neids will never have. What Stevens lacked in speed and accuracy, he made up for with physcial pressence, passion for the game and leadership. When it's all said and done, Neids and Stevens are very close in total talent and worth to a team...I just put Neids ahead by a nose because Neidermayer's speed, IMO, slightly outweighs Steven's hitting ability and he has proven to be an effective captain in Anaheim.

Also, if Neids sticks around and plays for 4 more years, he will surpass Steven's carrear numbers....if, of course, he sticks around.

Also, just to get back on topic, Leetch rocks...just glad they aren't retiring his number on a night we play them :evil:

No offence but I think you're underestimating Neidermayer's imapct on the Dev's...he was easily the most talented defensemen we ever had, including Stevens. Sure Stevens was an incredible leader, motivator and he could level a Mac truck with his shoulder but Neids always had more pure hockey talent. He has better hands, a better shot and was one of the speediest defensemen in the leauge. Still is.

I also don't fault Neids for leaving the way he did...he took less money to try to win a Cup with his brother. Can't blame the guy for that. Personally, I feel that if Lou had picked up Rob Niedermeyer when he was a free agent, Scott would still be a Dev...no doubt in my mind. Maybe thats why we have no many brothers in the system now...Parise, Gionta, Pandolfo...hmmmm....

'easily the most talented'? I'd love to hear you explain Stevens' 80 point season as a Devil, when league scoring wasn't too much different than it is today.

I don't fault Niedermayer for leaving how he did either, but some people do. I was never his biggest fan while he was here, either.

Also, Stevens shot >>> Niedermayer's, and Stevens had better hands too. He just accepted a different role on New Jersey and excelled in it.

If it comes down to Niedermayer or Stevens in their prime, I am taking Stevens and I think anyone else would too. He was simply dominant in every facet of the game, including checking. Who do you think opponents want to go up against - Stevens or Niedermayer?

Edited by Triumph

Niedermayer better than Stevens? Holy revisionist history, batman. I know you said more talented Bulletproof, but I'm not even giving you that because a lot of guys have immense talent, including Scott Stevens. The great ones apply that talent to the best of their abilities, and the winner of THAT contest is Scott Stevens, hands down.

And not to make enemies on the board, but if you want to talk about "application of talent", look at Nieds...I'm not going to list his carrear accomplishments but he is easily one of the most accomplished defensemen who have ever played. The guy has won almost everything a player can win...some of them multiple times.

Again, back on topic, hooooray for Leetch!! :evil:

And not to make enemies on the board, but if you want to talk about "application of talent", look at Nieds...I'm not going to list his carrear accomplishments but he is easily one of the most accomplished defensemen who have ever played. The guy has won almost everything a player can win...some of them multiple times.

Again, back on topic, hooooray for Leetch!! :evil:

Niedermayer has won just about everything there is to win.

He's also been rather lucky with the teams he's been on.

To me, Niedermayer should have at least one more Norris Trophy and 150 more points in his career. I think as a result of his latest Stanley Cup (and lifetime achievement award Conn Smythe he got handed), he will be a first ballot HOFer - but it's amazing to think he could've been more. He could've been.

To me, Niedermayer should have at least one more Norris Trophy and 150 more points in his career. I think as a result of his latest Stanley Cup (and lifetime achievement award Conn Smythe he got handed), he will be a first ballot HOFer - but it's amazing to think he could've been more. He could've been.

Yep.

I'll agree with you on that one...but that's his fault for thinking about retirement at 32. He easily has 4 more years in him to help a team be successful....nevermind personal stats and accomplishments.

As for Neids, I always really liked the guy so maybe I have a touch of bias there. Steven's urked me for the way he treated the Beezer in the '01 playoffs so..again...small bias. As for Steven's 78 point season, bravo to him...thats quite an accomplishment...but he never got more than 31 in a season after 93-94. Neids tallied over 30 points in every season since 95-96.

Also, let me go on record as saying I really like Scott Stevens...his banner wouldn't be my avatar if I didn't. His contributions to the Devs is only equaled, and maybe surpassed, by Broduer's...now THAT's a debate!! In my mind, he is the ultimate captain and is still missed.

I just think Neids is a slighty better all around player...and I'm sticking to it! :evil:

Edited by Bulletproof

he was easily the most talented defensemen we ever had, including Stevens. Sure Stevens was an incredible leader, motivator and he could level a Mac truck with his shoulder but Neids always had more pure hockey talent. He has better hands, a better shot and was one of the speediest defensemen in the leauge. Still is.

blazethreadbombing.png