Sundays Scrimmage (no pics, sorry)

John Wensink

Before you flame, sorry for no pics. So if you still care, here is what I remember. (Should have written this when it was fresh)

The game was mostly NHL vs minors BUT Broduer, Weeks, White, Martin & Janssen played with the minors (Also Marshall #23)

Score was 3-1 NHL'rs (Elias 2 I think , one may have been tipped, forgot who scored the 3rd - Janssen scored the minors goal)

Elias was the best player on the ice, he looks great. He layed a big hit on his first shift and flew the whole game. The lines for the NHL'rs the rotated the lines so there is no telling where Suter is leaning. (He was in the black box by the way, he did NOT run the NHlrs bench - MacLean did)

Martin was the best D on either team - he was rushing the puck like I have never seen him. I think this is HIS year,

As for the minors here are some quick takes.

Viuhkola looked lost but got better in the third. He was very tentative at first, He's smaller than I had hoped, but can pass quite well.

Bergfors is smaller than I thought too. I know we are all waiting for him, but IMO he is not ready for the NHL. I was also not too impressed with his "O" skills.

Pelly was the best center on the minors, Clarkson was fast but did not do much. NONE of the minor D really stuck out - Corrente did not play.

I think the NHL team will be, from what I saw of the lines when they started the game will be: (not what I want)

Elias-Zubris-Gio

Parise-Zajak-Brylin (Langs out on IR)

Pando-Madden-Asham

Janssen-Rupp-? (Tallackson skated with the big team on Friday, so he is my guess for now, could also be Pelly and shift Rupp)

Martin-White (they played together on Sunday, as did the other sets below)

Matvichuk -Greene

Rachunek -Vishnevski

Oduya

Can't wait till Friday to see how the team is shaping up on MSG.

I think it's a good thing Elias feels he must earn the C.

I know that's not part of this thread :blush:

I think he learned a lot last year - he's familiar with the role and being asked to work for it is a good thing for his psyche. With all the shilly shallying last year he could still feel like he fell into the role. Now he's being asked to prove he can do it. He for sure has the advantage and if he gets the role he'll be that much the better for it -- it'll be a huge confidence boost and what he needs to Captain properly.

Elias is capable of controlling a game - it's time he realized that and made that choice. you can't always - I would just love to have Elias feel that rush though. i'm not sure but I think it's a little different than the A-line rush - which is a little more uncontrolled intuitive. I get the feeling as a Captain you all of a sudden get this wave of control and you rule the fvcking ice... %&$*(^)$*^&$*)% - that must seriously kick ass to feel and I just know Elias is at a point where he can smell it -- taste it... I am really hopeful for him!! :pray: i've never felt this way about him before but there is somthing in the air ( I hope!!!)

I actually never really got how Stevens did it - because he didnt' have to work for it it just came in the course of working to be a great player - but in reading your post Wensink, I just all the sudden see what Elias knows - what he's learned and I think he's soooo close to being there. Grr :rant: I want to go to a practice now but i dont think I'll have the time. RATS!!

Edited by Pepperkorn

oh sh!t. sounds good! im going to the devs/flyers game tonight so ill most likely have pictures and a report on how we did =)

Offensive (sorry I'm lazy)

He didn't seem to have a hard shot, passing seemed average as did his skating speed.

It was the first time I really saw him play so maybe I have it wrong. To me though he does not seem like a lock for a top flight forward, more middle of the road.