Help needed for 1st trip to see Devils

Guildford Flame

Hi all

I'm bringing my 16yr old son over from the UK just so he can see his beloved Devils play for the first time, in person.

We're coming over for the 6th April game against the Rangers.

As its my sons birthday three days before the game, I'm looking to make this trip as memorable as possible.

Would anyone be able to give me any hints or tips on what to do before the game. (its a 3pm face off)

Is there any place I could take him where we might see the players arriving for the game? Perhaps a photo opportunity?

Any places near the arena that have a good atmosphere that we could go?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

You might have a better chance of a photo op at the practice they will have the day before (since there's no game on Saturday)... the practice rink is a part of the arena now too... where are you staying in town before and after the game? That will also make it easier to know what your travel demands will be like and how you are getting to an from the game... I'd also think you have a better chance of finding a player AFTER the game then BEFORE... but I've never tried either... I kinda got out of my getting stuff signed phase long ago

the Arena Bar on the way to the building is nice... but there's also so much stuff GOOD stuff inside the arena too... I'd almost suggest getting there at 1:30 when the doors open and ENJOYING all of it too

You might have a better chance of a photo op at the practice they will have the day before (since there's no game on Saturday)... the practice rink is a part of the arena now too... where are you staying in town before and after the game? That will also make it easier to know what your travel demands will be like and how you are getting to an from the game... I'd also think you have a better chance of finding a player AFTER the game then BEFORE... but I've never tried either... I kinda got out of my getting stuff signed phase long ago

the Arena Bar on the way to the building is nice... but there's also so much stuff GOOD stuff inside the arena too... I'd almost suggest getting there at 1:30 when the doors open and ENJOYING all of it too

Thanks for your reply CRASHER.

We are staying near, dare I say it?...... MSG.

We are planning to use the train to get to the stadium, I believe it goes from Penn Street.

Arrival into NYC will be sometime on the Saturday. Do you happen to know what time practice is?

We'll definatly get to there for 1:30 as suggested so we can soak up the atmosphere.

Many thanks again.

Thanks for your reply CRASHER.

We are staying near, dare I say it?...... MSG.

We are planning to use the train to get to the stadium, I believe it goes from Penn Street.

Arrival into NYC will be sometime on the Saturday. Do you happen to know what time practice is?

We'll definatly get to there for 1:30 as suggested so we can soak up the atmosphere.

Many thanks again.

Practice is usually in the morning, I believe...someone else may be able to confirm. The train goes from Penn Station New York to Penn Station Newark in about 20 minutes, a nice, easy ride. Like Crasher said, definately get there early, there's alot to check out and the whole atmosphere is very neat - you can tell it's definately the Devils home, not just a place the Devils happen to play.

Also, as for the game - keep checking in the week or two prior to the game, there's a chance the start time will be changed. That game may be NBC's game of the week - meaning it would be broadcast on NBC nation-wide. If that turns out to be the case (they get to choose two weeks in advance), then the start time will be moved up to 12:30 to accomodate NBC's schedule.

Might I suggest hitting the ironbounds for lunch. Boi na Brasa on Adams st. (5 blocks from the train station)

All you can eat grilled meat fest served to you on swords at a lighting pace.

rodizio.jpg

Then hit Hells kitchen on your way back to the arena.

Definately go to the Ironbound section near the train station for good eats and drinks. Many places to choose from.

• 2 months later...

A bit of a delay after the game but I'd like to say that the trip to the Rock was fantastic.

My son had a great day and really enjoyed the win. (probably even more as it went to a SO)

As advised in previous posts, the train ride was quick and easy and the walk from the station only take a couple of moments.

We were lucky enough to have seats in the club area so had access to the lounge. The food was great and surroundings pretty comfortable (if a little crowded).

Thanks to the lounge staff for taking a couple of pictures of us as we really wanted to both be in at least one of the pictures!!

All in all, we took over 400 pics during the warmup and the game so we're going to have to make some tough choices as to which ones to put up on the wall.

Thanks to those on this board who made some suggestions on travel and food and also on autographs.

We didn't manage to make the Saturday practise but I think the amount of t-shirts, posters etc bought in the shop more than made up for it!

Overall, a fantastic experience! :boogie:

A bit of a delay after the game but I'd like to say that the trip to the Rock was fantastic.

My son had a great day and really enjoyed the win. (probably even more as it went to a SO)

As advised in previous posts, the train ride was quick and easy and the walk from the station only take a couple of moments.

We were lucky enough to have seats in the club area so had access to the lounge. The food was great and surroundings pretty comfortable (if a little crowded).

Thanks to the lounge staff for taking a couple of pictures of us as we really wanted to both be in at least one of the pictures!!

All in all, we took over 400 pics during the warmup and the game so we're going to have to make some tough choices as to which ones to put up on the wall.

Thanks to those on this board who made some suggestions on travel and food and also on autographs.

We didn't manage to make the Saturday practise but I think the amount of t-shirts, posters etc bought in the shop more than made up for it!

Overall, a fantastic experience! :boogie:

That's awesome! Glad you and your son had a nice time. I wish more fans here in Jersey loved the Devils as much as your son does!

GO DEVILS!

:thumbsup:

I am jealous, very very jealous

I was planning on getting a propper job once i finnished uni and taking a 2 week holiday and following the Devils on a road trip ending up in NJ to catch a few home games at the Rock next season, as it stands i still haven't found a job that will pay me enough to do this :argh:

OT: Nice to see some fellow Guildford Flames fans posting around here, EPL champs 07-08 :dance: shame the playoff stint didnt last longer :( , and also no kohut next year :evilcry: