Atlanta fails to sign Hossa

Devil Fan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you asking me what I would be willing to give up for a star rental or what Lou is willing to give up? If it's me I wouldn't be willing to give up enough to get any of the big rental players. Now I would be willing to package up Gio + for Hossa w/ extension I could see that being reasonable but I don't see Hossa being willing to sign an extension.

If New Jersey already had that #2ish defender they need in the fold, I'd trade Gionta and Greene for Hossa without an extension, then go after someone lesser in free agency.

you kind of answered you own question.

Hossa is NOT looking for an extension, he going for bigger bucks which is why he is on the block.

Well sure I was just adding to different hypothetical situations. :D

If New Jersey already had that #2ish defender they need in the fold, I'd trade Gionta and Greene for Hossa without an extension, then go after someone lesser in free agency.

I agree with that. If Lou does decide to go for it this year and trades for a defenseman then he should really go for it. I'm not sure Atlanta would take Gionta and Greene though, I have a feeling they can get more.

To lose Gionta and Greene for a rental of Hossa no way. That is like giving away Gionta and Greene and it does not guarantee a Stanley Cup Championship with the addition of Hossa. Hossa would have to have an extencion or the Devils and Lou would have to give Hossa a deal so he does not walk away next season. IMO the Devils can give Hossa a nice contract if he really wants to win a cup.

To lose Gionta and Greene for a rental of Hossa no way. That is like giving away Gionta and Greene and it does not guarantee a Stanley Cup Championship with the addition of Hossa. Hossa would have to have an extencion or the Devils and Lou would have to give Hossa a deal so he does not walk away next season. IMO the Devils can give Hossa a nice contract if he really wants to win a cup.

Well it depends on what we think Gionta is going forward. The Devils could end up in the offseason with no Gionta or Greene but would have the money that would have been spent on Gionta to spend on free agents. So if you think Gionta's contract is a good value right now then that doesn't work but if you think Gionta is overpaid then the team would probably rather have the cap space to spend rather than use it on Gionta. I tend to think Gionta's contract isn't horrible but I'm not in love with it either so wouldn't be upset if they took a shot with Hossa and then got to use Gionta's old cap space in the offseason for Hossa or someone else.

Well it depends on what we think Gionta is going forward. The Devils could end up in the offseason with no Gionta or Greene but would have the money that would have been spent on Gionta to spend on free agents. So if you think Gionta's contract is a good value right now then that doesn't work but if you think Gionta is overpaid then the team would probably rather have the cap space to spend rather than use it on Gionta. I tend to think Gionta's contract isn't horrible but I'm not in love with it either so wouldn't be upset if they took a shot with Hossa and then got to use Gionta's old cap space in the offseason for Hossa or someone else.

Good points you make here on Gionta's contract. I agree that Gionta's contract isn't horrible but we could use Gionta's old cap space in the offseason to sign Hossa or someone else. If the Devils do not get a player like Hossa then to see Gionta or Greene go for no one it would be a bad move.

I'm not sure Atlanta would take Gionta and Greene though, I have a feeling they can get more.

I think most GM's know that Waddell has his hands tied. I have heard that only two teams are interested in Hossa based on last weeks GM meetings (Ottawa and Montreal), so Waddell may have to settle for ALOT less than what he is looking for.

Sundin has basically taken himself off the market by stating that he will only lift his no trade clause for a Candien that is in the playoff hunt.

I don't think there wiill be any "blockbuster" trades for rentals this year.

We don't need a PP QB, we have 5 very good point guys. Don't overrate the PP, its only 6-8 minutes a game on average and doesn't mean anything.

If you look at the top 10 PP teams only 4 are going to make the playoffs. PP is not as relevant as the PK.

Brian Rafalski leads the NHL in PP goals for a Defensemen with 8, if he were still here we would still be saying we need a PP QB.

Edited by MantaRay

We don't need a PP QB, we have 5 very good point guys. Don't overrate the PP, its only 6-8 minutes a game on average.

Brian Rafalski leads the NHL in PP goals for a Defensemen with 8, if he were still here we would still be saying we need a PP QB.

5? Very good? After Martin I think it's hard to call anyone else on the Devils very good at the point. A few good guys then some guys who are ok at doing it.

5? Very good? After Martin I think it's hard to call anyone else on the Devils very good at the point. A few good guys then some guys who are ok at doing it.

I didn't say GREAT, I said they were very good. They are all sound: Mottau, Rachunek, Martin, Greene and even Oduya of late.

I didn't say GREAT, I said they were very good. They are all sound: Mottau, Rachunek, Martin, Greene and even Oduya of late.

Very good I would take to mean better than what most teams field at the point. I would only take Martin as much better than the average PP defenseman. Then I'd probably take Mottau, Oduya, Rachunek, and Greene as all being about average for NHL PP defenseman. That depends on how those 4 are playing, they can all range to very good but can also be below average at times.

I mean how does a team with 5 very good PP defenseman and good PP forwards rank in the bottom third of the league in PP? Could be some bad luck but I think a team with 5 very good PP defenseman would have trouble doing that poor at almost any point in the season.

Very good I would take to mean better than what most teams field at the point. I would only take Martin as much better than the average PP defenseman. Then I'd probably take Mottau, Oduya, Rachunek, and Greene as all being about average for NHL PP defenseman. That depends on how those 4 are playing, they can all range to very good but can also be below average at times.

I mean how does a team with 5 very good PP defenseman and good PP forwards rank in the bottom third of the league in PP? Could be some bad luck but I think a team with 5 very good PP defenseman would have trouble doing that poor at almost any point in the season.

So you would feel better with Ken Klee at the point? The season is long, and since the holiday break the Devils defensemen have been doing an excellent job, in fact the Devils have been one of the top teams in defensemen scoring in the last few months. They are being groomed into the position.

So you would feel better with Ken Klee at the point? The season is long, and since the holiday break the Devils defensemen have been doing an excellent job, in fact the Devils have been one of the top teams in defensemen scoring in the last few months. They are being groomed into the position.

The defense has been better lately but it was also horrific earlier in the season so we cant just ignore that. I didn't say they were bad, I just said that other than Martin it would be a stretch to call them very good. Very good PP defenseman generate a lot of interest around the league which Mike Mottau and company do not.

Which team has Ken Klee playing at the point? Ken Klee being a bad defenseman at offense means nothing when talking about how good the Devils defenseman are on the PP. We're comparing defenseman who play the PP to each other, not the Devils PP defenseman against other teams defensive defenseman who don't get PP time. If that's the case then Marc-Andre Bergeron would be awesome because he is a monster on the PP compared to White. Or we could say Pandolfo is a great goal scorer because he destroys Cam Janssens offense.

Edited by Devils731

Elias is better as a center than a wing. He has done a lot better since he has been starting at the center position. Devils would be a better team if they can go out and get a true #1 center like Sundin. That is just not going to happen now with the Devils on top of the EC. Elias should stay at the center position for the rest of this season.