N.J. Devils hopeful about younger Federov

SC Devs Fan

And Mike Mottau was part of 4 organizations before landing in New Jersey, where he proved himself a capable 3rd pairing guy, getting a 47 in Alan Ryder's Hockey Analytics (similar to the score of Fedor Tyutin and Wade Redden - actually, Jagr only had a 54 himself).

Ok, you guys use his number for Mottau, Tyutin and Redden...then dismiss them for Zherdev because he got a very good score. Make up your mind - are the numbers legit, or BS? Also, in the Zherdev thread some of you made Tyutin to be the second coming of....Scott Stevens - and I do not think Scott would score a 47 in Ryder's thing...

As for Columbus - didn't they have Fedorov in the AHL and not give him a sniff? If so, to me that is passing on him.

Bottom line, Fedorov gets a shot because of his size, skill and (probably most importantl) his last name. Until now the guy has never put it together on this side of the Atlantic. If he works out, great, if not, so what - I just find it funny that you guys are getting excited about someone who even if he pans out really means squat.

If you ask me, who is going to start the 7 or so games Brodeur doesn't has a bigger impact on the Devils season then does Fedor...

Ok, you guys use his number for Mottau, Tyutin and Redden...then dismiss them for Zherdev because he got a very good score. Make up your mind - are the numbers legit, or BS? Also, in the Zherdev thread some of you made Tyutin to be the second coming of....Scott Stevens - and I do not think Scott would score a 47 in Ryder's thing...

I wasn't around for that thread, I don't think. All I know is that Zherdev did get a very good score, but he also got a terrible score the previous year, and that my guess is that he falls in between the two this coming season, probably near the upper end.

Bottom line, Fedorov gets a shot because of his size, skill and (probably most importantl) his last name. Until now the guy has never put it together on this side of the Atlantic. If he works out, great, if not, so what - I just find it funny that you guys are getting excited about someone who even if he pans out really means squat.

I don't know why you're making such a big issue over it. You seem to think Fedorov can't be a decent 4th line contributor - I think he can. I don't think it's a particularly good signing, but it's not worth one laughing over, either. He provides depth if Vrana and/or Bergfors can't hack it, he's got more potential than either Pelley or Rupp, and is probably better than both Tallackson and Clarke, the two forward callups from last season.

As for Columbus - didn't they have Fedorov in the AHL and not give him a sniff? If so, to me that is passing on him.

If you ask me, who is going to start the 7 or so games Brodeur doesn't has a bigger impact on the Devils season then does Fedor...

It's mid-late July. The big free agent signings are done. The arbitration hearings aren't happening yet. This is basically the single most boring time of the year for an NHL fan. I don't think you'll see anyone on here who thought he was the second coming. Some people just thought that with, as you pointed out, his size and his skill he might make more of an impact on the 4th line than some other people who have been playing there recently so it might be an OK signing. He basically signed for the league minimum. However, he's now a part of the organization, it's the most barren part of the year to discuss hockey and, geez, you'll find people on a NJ Devils board discussing it. Color me shocked. Are you saying people should ignore it? What's the so-called big news you think they should be discussing right now that hasn't been kicked to death on the board???

BTW, Weekes is the backup. As long as he actually plays semi-regularly, we don't really have a problem with him.

Almost sounds like something that could have been written when the Devs acquired Viktor Kozlov - but they were honestly depending on him to work out well.

I just find it funny that you guys are getting excited about someone who even if he pans out really means squat.

I'm not sure if you're actually reading this thread, but the popular opinion around here seems to be that he might make the team as a 3rd/4th liner, might end up in Lowell, or might go AWOL and head back to Russia (given the IIHF lifts its suspension). To me, that doesn't translate into "getting excited."

We agree with you, dude. Relax.