2009 World Series Champion Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah get rid of a guy who was 39/40 in save opportunities last year with a 1.40 ERA and a ridiculous 0.67 WHIP. Thats smart.

Once again its just someone making a statement based off of the early season. You may be right, maybe this will be a bad year for Rivera, but the point is that its way too early to say that, and he has shown no sign of any downfall the past few years

I am not basing my opinion just off of last night. There have been many key situations where he just did not get it done and it all started with inning 9 of the 2001 world series in game 7. From there it became that much more prevailant in 2004 against the BOSUX in the ALCS, and it continues abnormally vs teams in the AL East which are teams we have to beat in order to have a chance at playing in October. We can't afford to keep losing to teams like the Rays, and the Sox in late game situations.

For the money George pays him he needs to be better.

I am not basing my opinion just off of last night. There have been many key situations where he just did not get it done and it all started with inning 9 of the 2001 world series in game 7. From there it became that much more prevailant in 2004 against the BOSUX in the ALCS, and it continues abnormally vs teams in the AL East which are teams we have to beat in order to have a chance at playing in October. We can't afford to keep losing to teams like the Rays, and the Sox in late game situations.

For the money George pays him he needs to be better.

His stats post-2001 (excluding 2009): 2.01 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, .211 batting avg against .. no more than 4 HR in a year, no more than 20 BB in a year, no more than 6 blown saves in a year.

It seems like you are just picking on a couple blown saves (not to mention so long ago) and saying that makes him on the downfall of his career. You could easily pick on a position player like A-Rod for being crap in the postseason, but that doesn't mean he sucks or is on a downfall, especially when in the season they are tremendous. And complaining about how much is he making its pretty useless since the Yankees spend so much money anyway.

you really are bad luck lol

touche`

and about Mo.... yes he is old, but there are closers who are past 40 and still close games....

the pitches he threw where cutters that cut away from the body, and not towards it. Which left them both right over the plate....

AND, i'm pretty sure cervelli came into the game in the 8th inning, and maybe they had some trouble with signs or something.. i dont know

hahaha i see no one chose to comment on tonight's hellish game

I turned it off and went out after the 2nd inning. I wasn't going to let these slobs ruin my Saturday night as well. They did a good enough job during the week.

I saw that Joba also popped a blood vessel in his thumb last night during warmup and is going to be a game time decision.

The hits just keep on coming.

Damon is red hot right now. Huge HR to give us the win.

Aubrey Huff is a scumbag. Don't know if anyone saw his ridiculous fist pump after hitting the HR rounding first and then again crossing the plate showing Joba up. I'm a little annoyed he didn't get drilled the next time up but I guess they figured they needed a win more then retaliating. Hopefully next time they knock him on his ass.

I missed today's game driving back from Maryland, nice to see them win. I was at Saturday's game and had a good time despite the fact they got crushed. I had decent people around me in the crowd ribbing me all in good fun for my Yankee gear, but as always there were a ton of Yankee fans there. I thought it was nice that the majority of Yankee fans would give A-Rod a standing ovation when he came to the plate in a show of support for him, I hate the guy but I joined in since the Yankees need him to perform to win. I'd say I saw about 20 foam syringes with A-Roid on them though, imagine what people in Boston will have.

i HATE offdays

anyone have anything interesting to talk about?

how much longer do you think Damon will be on this hot streak?

thoughts on Joba's first inning struggles?

idk anything? i don't wanna study for finals lol

this off-day was perfect for me, tommrow is the last day of finials.

btw, the yankees didn't loose tonight!!! So far, we are 2-0 in off-days!

2-0...LMAO

oh and lucky you to be done with finals tomorrow

i'll be here till Wednesday night :glare:

i HATE offdays

anyone have anything interesting to talk about?

how much longer do you think Damon will be on this hot streak?

thoughts on Joba's first inning struggles?

idk anything? i don't wanna study for finals lol

It's Damon's walk year so I fully expect him to put up big numbers all season. His defense is not worth anything so if he wants another contract he will need to earn it at the plate.

With Nady, Matsui and Damon expiring, what we do for OF in 2010 will be interesting. I know everyone loves Austin Jackson but Melky and Gardner are not the answer in center. We will really need a whole new outfield.

Don't we have enough talent before we go out shopping for the best available FA next year? Can't we realize that you can't just buy a pennant, let alone a ring? LEts let this team bond, gel, and build chemistry and see what it can do without adding, once again, an unfamiliar face because of a playoff failure.

... Go tell that to brian cashman...

Matt Holliday is a strange guy.. I think he'd flourish in a park like Yankee Stadium, but be a total bust in a park like CitiField.

Holliday at Home (majority Coors Field, a hitter's park): 1585 PA, .351/.417/.634 (1.051 OPS), 86 HR, 319 RBI

Holliday at Away: 1507 PA, .279/.345/.452 (.796 OPS), 46 HR, 184 RBI

Edited by nmigliore

Don't we have enough talent before we go out shopping for the best available FA next year? Can't we realize that you can't just buy a pennant, let alone a ring? LEts let this team bond, gel, and build chemistry and see what it can do without adding, once again, an unfamiliar face because of a playoff failure.

So you would be comfortable with a lineup next year of say:

1) Cabrera LF

2) Jeter SS

3) Texeira 1B

4) Rodriguez 3B

5) Posada C

6) Cano 2B

7) Swisher DH

8) Jackson RF

9) Gardner CF

Not me. A lot of money is coming off the books. Pouring it back into the team in upgrades is always the way to go. Chemistry in baseball is highly overrated. The Yankee teams in the late 70's hated each other and still won. Cashman has a duty to put the best team on the field that he possibly can. Any lineup with Melky and Gardner in it at the same time is by definition not the best team that you can put on the field.