MADDEN'S DOWNSIZING WILL BE COSTLY

Rock

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01042009/sport...stly_147138.htm

He isn't squawking, but he isn't jumping up and down at having his role diminish.

"It's OK. We're winning," Madden said. "It's allowed me to concentrate more on penalty-killing and faceoffs. Whatever ice time I do get, I'll do my best to contribute to the hockey club."

Madden, who insists there wasn't any major injury in October that triggered his relegation, said he believes he still can do the checking job at which he has excelled for so long.

"Certainly. I don't think there was anything wrong in it," Madden said. "But there are some young players in the organization, like Travis Zajac and Zach Parise, demanding ice time right now.

"When I start playing at the top of my game . . . well, your play dictates how much ice you get."

(N)Єverson is an idiot.

Agreed. Dog's right. I think he'll get more playing time as the year goes on -- he and Pando are looking stronger together, they're line has started to give them some offense, as they're forechecking better, and it's a long season -- everybody has rough stretches.

I think he'll get more playing time as the year goes on -- he and Pando are looking stronger together, they're line has started to give them some offense, as they're forechecking better, and it's a long season -- everybody has rough stretches.

I hope you're right. But right now those guys + Rupp are playing fourth line minutes and playing a lot against other teams' fourth lines. After holding their own as a pair against the opposition's best, I'm not exactly pumped that they're finally showing sparks of life against the opposition's worst.

I hope you're right. But right now those guys + Rupp are playing fourth line minutes and playing a lot against other teams' fourth lines. After holding their own as a pair against the opposition's best, I'm not exactly pumped that they're finally showing sparks of life against the opposition's worst.

This may be my bias, because Dog and Pando are my favorite players on the team, but I think they've looked better on the PK than they have all season. They may not be as good as they used to be, but they're playing decent hockey, and they don't have to be as good as last year. Also, considering how well all 4 lines are playing for the Devils, they look worse by comparison. They're 10 times better than the Sarge (sorry, I still love him), Asham, Pelley, Rupp etc. 4th line was last year, not that those guys exactly set the bar real high. They are a 4th line, but they're one of the better 4th lines in the league. At least I keep telling myself that.