Keep the Devils In NJ

oofrostonoo

Few facts:

Distance from Meadowlands Sports Complex in East Rutherford to Broad Street and Market Street in Newark: 12.34 miles

ETA by Mapquest: 20 mins

Number of commuters into downtown Newark during rush hour every morning and afternoon: 200,000

Number of commuters into Meadowlands for a sold out Devils game 19,040

Number of patrons of NJPAC since its completion in Oct 1997: 1.6 million

Criminal incidents involving patrons of NJPAC since its completion in 1997: 0

Train lines with direct access to Newark: 6, Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Shore Line, Raritan Valley Line, Morris and Essex Lines, Montclair and Boonton Line, PATH

Train lines with access to Newark via Secaucus Transfer: 2, Pascack Valley Line and Main Line.

Train lines with stop in Meadowlands: 0

County with most Devils players living in it: Essex

Highways with exits to Newark: 8; Turnpike, Parkway, Route 1&9, 22, 21, 27, 78, 280

Highways with exits at East Rutherford: 4; 17, 3, Turnpike, 120

It takes me less than a half hour to get to the Meadowlands.

It would take me double that to get to Newark.

Its just not an ideal location for an arena in my opinion.

Yes, a few players live in Essex county, Brodeur lives in North Caldwell.

Where would the Devils play in Newark, is the arena already there, and how many can it house, is it ready for an ice rink?

Figuring that it takes 20 mins to go from the Meadowlands to Newark and it takes a half hour for you to get to the Meadowlands, even if you went to the Meadowlands first and subsequently went to Newark, which I somehow doubt you'd do, it would take you max 50 minutes which is not quite double. So assuming you live on the straight line opposite side of the Meadowlands from Newark, your statement is still wrong. Chances are you've never been to Newark and don't know what you're talking about.

It is the most ideal location in North Jersey seeing as it has all the transportation connections and is at the center of Bergen, Essex, Hudson and Union Counties which are all very populous and very highly Devil fan territory. In actuality, the Flyers don't even become a blip on the radar screen until you go south of New Brunswick. At that point they slowly crescendo until you get to Gloucester and Camden Counties where everyone is a Flyers fan.

The arena has not yet been built. Its been on the drawing board for 5 years now but political capriciousness has kept any foundations from being laid.

It takes me less than a half hour to get to the Meadowlands.

It would take me double that to get to Newark.

Its just not an ideal location for an arena in my opinion.

I takes me about 40 minutes to get to the Meadowlands.

It would take me 20 to get to Newark by train.

I cancel you out. Sorry, bud.

South of New Bruswick???? Man you north jersey devils have this superiority complex about central jersey fans. I'm from Monmouth county and most hockey fans down there are devils fans and there is a very small minority of flyers fans (and by small minority i mean tiny, prolly about as many as isles fans in jersey). Central Jersey is the same as north jersey as far as sports allegiances go. We all gravitate to the teams coming from the North and not the garbage down in Philly.

I'm from Monmouth County myself. Grew up in Long Branch. Monmouth County is very different than the rest of Central Jersey. Its not a question of superiority or inferiority, simply that when you get further inland, Flyers country starts encroaching further and further north. Down the shore it starts getting serious around Toms River but inland it starts in South Brunswick. I've lived in Long Branch, Somerset and Passaic and all have different patterns. In Long Branch I was surrounded by transplanted Brooklynites who were Rangers fans. Devils fans were the large minority with tiny percentages of Islanders and Flyers fans. In Somerset it was by far mostly Devils fans with a sizeable minority of Flyers fans that got bigger as you went south. In Passaic, no one cares about hockey, but it would appear that if they did they'd be split between the Devils and Rangers since the one's five minutes drive away and the other's 20.

Figuring that it takes 20 mins to go from the Meadowlands to Newark and it takes a half hour for you to get to the Meadowlands, even if you went to the Meadowlands first and subsequently went to Newark, which I somehow doubt you'd do, it would take you max 50 minutes which is not quite double. So assuming you live on the straight line opposite side of the Meadowlands from Newark, your statement is still wrong. Chances are you've never been to Newark and don't know what you're talking about.

It is the most ideal location in North Jersey seeing as it has all the transportation connections and is at the center of Bergen, Essex, Hudson and Union Counties which are all very populous and very highly Devil fan territory. In actuality, the Flyers don't even become a blip on the radar screen until you go south of New Brunswick. At that point they slowly crescendo until you get to Gloucester and Camden Counties where everyone is a Flyers fan.

The arena has not yet been built. Its been on the drawing board for 5 years now but political capriciousness has kept any foundations from being laid.

I meant 45 mins, close to an hour depending on traffic, which in Newark is numerous.

NJPAC is not a Sports complex like NJSEA, moving the arena is only a scam created by those left out of the loop like Sharpe James, who will undoubtedly profit from the arena if moved.

You guys support it because its closer to home, which I have no problem with.

But what you don't realize, or maybe you do, is that Newark is a slum, it always has been, and always will be.

The Meadowlands, is open land, an ideal location for an arena. (why do you think its built there?)

Yes maybe there is a lot more public transportation to Newark, but here are more problems for those planning on driving.

Parking - There is no place for mass parking, nor is there place for an arena.

And yeah NJ - Performing Arts Center, is not an arena, nor does it support half as many people to go there.

---- on another level

Moving to Newark is also supported by none other than George Steinbrunner, who would rake in more cash than you can imagine.

Aside from that it would create jobs.

---End of another level

Back to my point, The Meadowlands is easily accessible by car by anyone, there is sufficient parking, and the roads are rarely clogged if you know the way to go. (don't take the turnpike)

To Newark, is worse because the roads are always clogged during the time of a game.

----

Please give me good reasons to go to Newark so I can reply with my rebuttal.

DJ, your argument is ill-informed and ignorant of fact on so many levels that rebuttal would be pointless until you actually spend the time doing at the very least a tiny bit of research on this subject, yet for some reason I choose to humor you.

First off: the arena is in the middle of nowhere. Pedestrian traffic is nil at the Meadowlands, there are no restaurants, bars, shops, or any other sort of local economy at all that feeds off of or feeds into the arena complex. Such is not the case in Newark where you have a thriving restaurant district in the Ironbound not five blocks away from the proposed arena as well as a slowly budding one downtown.

As to the comparison of NJPAC, I haven't used that example for the purposes of its crowd sizes, simply to prove that Newark is safe for entertainment. My point was that 1.6 million people have gone to downtown Newark at a particular venue for entertainment and no crimes against them.

As to the traffic issue here are the facts on that: 200,000 people commute during rush hour in and out of Newark to their office jobs. By 6:15 they're all gone and Downtown is a ghost town. For 20,000 to accomplish the feat of getting into Newark on empty streets on which 200,000 managed to navigate (albeit with some difficulty) should not be much of a problem.

Parking is abundant as all the office workers will have abandoned the parking garages downtown and they'll be open for gametime business.

There is plenty of place for an arena within easy walking distance of one of the major rail hubs of the state. The site was already picked out.

George Steinbrenner was never a proponent of the Newark arena. He is actually one of the main reasons it failed, because he refused to throw his support behind it. Sharpe James will benefit politically the same way Bergen County politicians benefit by the arena remaining in the Meadowlands. The person that is in fact the biggest proponent of Newark is Raymond Chambers who is a widely known philanthropist who was born in the city and is now running numerous charities to give back to it and for whom the arena was to be a crowning achievement to revitalize the city.

As for me supporting it because its closer to home, it actually is 5 mins from my house to the current arena and 15 mins from my house to Newark so its really not a question of convenience for me.

Edited by NewarkDevil5

And besides that, do you honestly think 20,000 Newarkites are going to afford devils tickets?

You're going to lose fans by going to Newark, thats the simple solution.

In response to your statment about having people from Newark go to the games, were you aware of the sixty thousand or so people attending college right down the block?

Parking - There is no place for mass parking, nor is there place for an arena.

Have you been to Newark. There is alot of vacent land. Just look at a place like REXPLEX.... It is a huge arena type building .....This arena is not going to be just in some lot in the middle of NEWARK. Think before you make these accusations...Also try going to Newark, and dont just assume stuff.

wow this guy stubbs is just a dope. Sounds like he's spent to much time resting his fat ass in his gas-guzzler to understand the dynamics of mass transportation or lord forbid having to WALK a block from train station to arena. :unsure: and...who's calling who lazy here? Dude get out and about in the fresh air, it'll do your mind good - or at least open a window in that car of yours - sounds like someone's suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. :rolleyes:

Newark is further from NYC... what by BOAT? or do you think all NYC Devils fans live in Inwood or Washington Heights or something? You're a total moron. I can't even read this whole thread because the initial post was just so poorly considered... such mind boggling flawed logic that I really can't get too worked up nor give your opinion any credence.

So stubbs - buddy -- thanks for stopping by

Have a nice day!

:evil:

• 2 weeks later...

As far as south of Bergen being Flyer country, I come from Monmouth county and I don't remember meeting a single Flyer fan in high school. Even back when I was in high school I would say 75% of the kids were Devil fans, and being that I graduated 6 years ago I'd have to think that number has increased. Even Ocean county has tons of Devil fans. Going down to the shore, I don't ever remember seeing people wearing Flyers gear until I got down to Seaside or south.

As far as south of Bergen being Flyer country, I come from Monmouth county and I don't remember meeting a single Flyer fan in high school. Even back when I was in high school I would say 75% of the kids were Devil fans, and being that I graduated 6 years ago I'd have to think that number has increased. Even Ocean county has tons of Devil fans. Going down to the shore, I don't ever remember seeing people wearing Flyers gear until I got down to Seaside or south.

the majority of my high school is devils fans, although i would definitely say there are a select few rangers fans there.

a lot of times the devils fans will do the rangers suck thing in the cafeteria, and they'll all reply with the original, potvan sucks...

funny how those things work...

and also how all rangers fans hate the way we play, they say its not fun to watch...

then all i say is, well not making the playoffs for 7 years, and having the worst gm/coach, as well as a team of all-stars, and not making the playoffs, hmmm...

then they walk away...