U.S. still holds children at Guantanamo

DeVFaN

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml...storyID=4139296

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States has held three child detainees at its military base in Guantanamo Bay for more than a year and the Pentagon says it has no plans to move or free them, despite international pressure.

I was absolutely disgusted after reading this. Shame on you George Bush. This "camp" is disturbing enough without the fact that they are holding children prisoner without a trial. Time for some European countrys to grow some balls and stand up against George W's blatant crimes against human rights.

*edit link fixed

Edited by DeVFaN

I notice that it's British Reuters giving us this news, meaning that once again, the U.S. media is not reporting something against this government.

Anyway, 3 children isn't enough to cause outrage in the United States... the standard conversion of children from the US/other children ratio is about 10 to 1, maybe 5 to 1 if they're Western Europeans. Maybe it has something to do with resources consumed, since people in the U.S. tend to consume 5 to 10 times the amount of people in Arab countries.

This whole camp is a charade, but if they are children who've been brainwashed, they're still dangerous.. The problem is I don't see anyone going away from this camp without a hatred of the US..

Edited by Triumph

The problem is I don't see anyone going away from this camp without a hatred of the US.

Aaaahh, laying the groundwork for the next excuse when something happens.

Tri, I think the general difference between you and I is you see them leaving with hatred caused by their detention.......I see it as they are detained because of their previously indoctrinated hatred of the US and the West.

But once you lock them up, you can't release them. Unless you release them and keep tabs on them to try to find other terrorists.

I'm not saying they don't have cause to be locked up, although it'd be nice if the administration actually told us why they were there. I'm saying that once you take someone away from home and imprison them in Cuba for more than 18 months, it's unlikely on their release that they're going to go to the Devry Institute of Kabul and get a decent job. It seems more likely to me that their hatred would only grow in captivity. So you have to keep them there forever. Seems somewhat silly.

Edited by Triumph

I searched around and found the story on US Reuters, I believe the ages were between 12 to 15.

The Afghans definitely used children against the Russians, just as they're used all over Africa in civil wars... that's plenty old to fight in the countries we're dealing with.

Jimmy, it is safer, but I have no idea what any of these people did. Were they just fighting for the Taliban? Who knows! They're not being officially charged with doing anything wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, Jimmy, it's the anarchists who care about trials and laws.

The trials would be unfair because the people who would represent the detainees would be appointed by the U.S. government, and somehow all of the people would get convicted anyway. But it'd be nice if the U.S. at least tried to not violate the Geneva Convention.. the same document which we'd like to have obeyed when Americans are being held in a foreign country.

But it'd be nice if the U.S. at least tried to not violate the Geneva Convention

Of course, you knowing exactly which part of it is being violated and which part if any cover those being held in Cuba? I can't find anything on it. :noclue:

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.