dish network question

sandman441

I am probably going to get it here around Febuary 1st. I had a question about hockey on it I will be getting the center ice package and am a little worried that I won't be able to see some playoff games (mainly the stanley cup finals). My question is Is this going to be a problem or will Center Ice be carrying the games?. If I remember correctly I remember watching a game that was on OLN but since dish network doesn't carry OLN I don't know what that was. I even remember seeing the OLN logos and stuff.

center ice'll give ya the first 2 rounds for both conferences...

after that OLN or some national network will pick up the last 2 rounds.

edit that, if dish network does not carry OLN you may be SOL :o

Edited by Shred

center ice'll give ya the first 2 rounds for both conferences...

after that OLN or some national network will pick up the last 2 rounds.

Is there any chance that I will be able to get it?. I know OLN is showing the third round and the first two games on the finals but after that it goes to NBC. This is going to suck for the playoffs if I can't get it.

edit that, if dish network does not carry OLN you may be SOL.

I was for OLN getting the NHL but I am hating it more and more.

center ice was/is available for the second 1/2 of the season for like $100

i went out and got it in October for the "early bird" special at $129 for the whole season. $129 for all the games is insane...

center ice also carries AHL/ECHL all star games and world juniors stuff...also you get CBC HNIC every week, all the TSN and sportsnet feeds....can't be beat...

you should not have a problem with the final 2 rounds...unless you are on vacation in afghanistan or live in an igloo...

Edited by Shred

you should not have a problem with the final 2 rounds...unless you are on vacation in afghanistan or live in an igloo...

I wonder if TSN will carry the game I think they will. Which if they do is good news. It's kind of funny because I am missing all these games and now I can watch the games but I have to give up the 3rd round and 2 finals games. The price is $109 for the rest of the year and the price isn't bad for all the games you get I think it's $139 for the entire year.

Edited by sandman441

If you like sports, DirecTV is a much much better choice.

It probably is but the problem is I only know of one company who deals with directtv but they were jerks. And dishnetwork is carried by the local phone/cell phone/ probably a few other things company. Probably would have stayed with the cable company but the bill was too high for what we got (about $120). And with the americas everything pack with local channels it's only $87.00 a month and we get pretty much every channel.

Yes, OLN has EXCLUSIVE rights to the conference finals, and games 1 & 2 of the Cup finals. NBC has exclusive rights to Cup final games 3-7.

If you don't get OLN, you won't get those games. They are not available through Center Ice.

Dish Network is digging their own grave. I saw that they dropped Lifetime & Lifetime Movie Network this week because they wanted too much to carry their channels. I know quite a few girls who live for watching those channels. So they've pissed off the women AND the men. Good job of handling your service!!!

Yes, OLN has EXCLUSIVE rights to the conference finals, and games 1 & 2 of the Cup finals. NBC has exclusive rights to Cup final games 3-7.

If you don't get OLN, you won't get those games. They are not available through Center Ice.

Dish Network is digging their own grave. I saw that they dropped Lifetime & Lifetime Movie Network this week because they wanted too much to carry their channels. I know quite a few girls who live for watching those channels. So they've pissed off the women AND the men. Good job of handling your service!!!

That sucks maybe something comes along with directtv in a few years. I might have a look in the phonebook to see who offers directtv.

I only found maybe 2 or 3 people who offer directtv. Hopefully dish network will get something going with OLN next year. I am not worried about the lifetime channels though they suck anyway. OLN needs dish network because they are putting alot of hockey fans out in the dark.

Edited by sandman441

Dish Network is also the only place that you can get a subscription rate to all of the TEN channels. That pleases many men I promise you.

Dish is also the only place that gives you more than 10 Center Ice channels, which means you get all of the available feeds every night rather than one feed per game. (Or so Sammy tells us.)

I think that is true. My sister has satellite and I had to go over there and fix their computer and it was during the free preview and each team had their own channel. I swear I saw one for OLN but I only watched a few seconds of it.

I was looking around and saw something that said if you really want the channel to call them and they would put it back on your system for free. I also saw that they are still negotiating with OLN so that is good news.

I think that is true. My sister has satellite and I had to go over there and fix their computer and it was during the free preview and each team had their own channel. I swear I saw one for OLN but I only watched a few seconds of it.

Its true. I've had Center Ice on Dish Network for the last few years. They do carry both the home and the away game feeds a lot of nights while DirecTV will generally show just one of the two. They also have one dedicated "NHL Center Ice Extra!" channel on 540 which updates the scores in progress and lists the televised schedule each day. Hockey Night in Canada is usually shown on Saturdays and sometimes you get Hockey Day In Canada broadcasted on Center Ice with Dish as well. The one Devils game broadcasted on OLN this season a few weeks back was shown on TSN the same night complete with the ridiculous score information at the bottom of the screen. Last night the ECHL All-Star game was shown on Center Ice. Usually they carry the AHL all-star game and select games from the World Juniors along with some olympic action. Can't go wrong with hockey on Dish.

No they aren't. If more companies held their ground and objected to the ridiculous price hikes certain network heads demand, we'd see far fewer increases in our satellite and cable bills. You should see the rates ESPN wanted last time their contract came up for renewal. Dish added WE for free to compensate for the loss of Lifetime. OLN and Lifetime both are trying to play the hold 'em hostage game with Charlie Ergen. He's a noted champion poker player who has made himself into a self millionaire starting with very little and selling big C band sat dishes door-to-door in his younger days. He's not one to blink and cave to ransom demands. Good for him. What other CEO do you know goes on TV once every other month to address his customer in a live chat forum?

Edited by Guest

Its true. I've had Center Ice on Dish Network for the last few years. They do carry both the home and the away game feeds a lot of nights while DirecTV will generally show just one of the two. They also have one dedicated "NHL Center Ice Extra!" channel on 540 which updates the scores in progress and lists the televised schedule each day. Hockey Night in Canada is usually shown on Saturdays and sometimes you get Hockey Day In Canada broadcasted on Center Ice with Dish as well.

That's cool and I am happy about all the games I now get but I am still kind of mad that I don't get the 3rd round and the first two games of the finals. I think OLN will be readded though next year.

I wouldn't count on Dish adding OLN. They have been "negotiating" with YES (Yankee channel) for the last three years.

I don't see how anyone could say you can't go wrong with hockey on Dish when you don't get the conference finals and part of the Cup finals because their CEO does not want sports fans to subscribe to his service.

It's his service and if he does not want to carry sports channels it is his choice but Dish loses out more than the sports channels.

I wouldn't count on Dish adding OLN. They have been "negotiating" with YES (Yankee channel) for the last three years.

I don't see how anyone could say you can't go wrong with hockey on Dish when you don't get the conference finals and part of the Cup finals because their CEO does not want sports fans to subscribe to his service.

It's his service and if he does not want to carry sports channels it is his choice but Dish loses out more than the sports channels.

I believe the added YES to their system I have to recheck though. I don't see it maybe they had it and took it off?. Anyway the only sport I watch is hockey and with center Ice regular season. The playoffs I will only miss the 3rd round and the first two games of the finals. But I am in the mindset that that is OLN's fault they wanted more money or something for their channel. Well their channel kind of sucks with the exception of hockey. I think OLN will be on dish because they are trying to become a sports network and they are supposedly are going after the football contract. If they do get football and Dish doesn't add OLN back I think they will see a bunch of mad football fans. I am actually kind of surprised they wouldn't show the playoffs from a canadian channel but I don't know the fcc rules but I think it would be a good idea if they did.

It's not the FCC, it's the NHL. OLN has the exclusive right to broadcast the Conf Finals and the first 2 games of the finals in the US. Center Ice stops after the second round because of this.

I just looked real quick and they still don't have YES. If OLN gets the NFL then yeah I think Dish will have to pay whatever they want. If OLN doesn't get an NFL package then I don't see either side blinking.

Someone needs to brush up on the OLN/Dish Network discussions over on dbstalk.com, dbsforums.com, and satelliteguys.us to get a feel for whats really going on here imo. This isn't a case of Dish Network playing hardball on account of a CEO not liking hockey. OLN wants to be considered a major player even though they have little to offer viewers outside of 2 NHL games a week during the regular season. This is a fledgling tour de france Lance Armstrong network spearheaded by Comcast demanding exhorbitant rates as though they've been in business for years and the NHL draws terrific ratings. Neither one is true by any stretch of the imagination. Once upon a time, consumers used to come together and celebrate when someone else was looking out for their best interests in the name of keeping overall subscriber costs down. How times have changed over the years.

Edited by Guest

It's not the FCC, it's the NHL. OLN has the exclusive right to broadcast the Conf Finals and the first 2 games of the finals in the US. Center Ice stops after the second round because of this.

I just looked real quick and they still don't have YES. If OLN gets the NFL then yeah I think Dish will have to pay whatever they want. If OLN doesn't get an NFL package then I don't see either side blinking.

So then all of Canada gets blocked out for the 3rd and the first 2 games of the finals then?. Unless they have directtv I mean. From what I understand OLN doesn't show hockey games there. That was the FCC comment was about because unless no other network is showing the playoffs in Canada they will be blacked out so I was hoping a canadian channel would show the playoffs in Canada and that Center Ice would pick up those broadcasts. I thought YES was on there but I couldn't find it either but I am not worried about that because the only sport I watch is hockey and even though I think the devils are supposed to move over there I should still be able to get the games.

Someone needs to brush up on the OLN/Dish Network discussions over on dbstalk.com, dbsforums.com, and satelliteguys.us to get a feel for whats really going on here imo. This isn't a case of Dish Network playing hardball on account of a CEO not liking hockey. OLN wants to be considered a major player even though they have little to offer viewers outside of 2 NHL games a week during the regular season. This is a fledgling tour de france Lance Armstrong network spearheaded by Comcast demanding exhorbitant rates as though they've been in business for years and the NHL draws terrific ratings. Neither one is true by any stretch of the imagination. Once upon a time, consumers used to come together and celebrate when someone else was looking out for their best interests in the name of keeping overall subscriber costs down. How times have changed over the years.

Yeah other than hockey for me atleast OLN is a pretty bad channel. They have Wanted Ted or Alive and Survivor and I can't stand either one I couldn't believe they had that Survivor guy on during a hockey game. And I think I said this earlier I am hating this deal more and more.

Edited by sandman441

In Canada the conference finals/Cup finals and other playoff games are on CBC. You can only get 3rd and 4th rd playoff games on CBC in the US if you live near the border and can pick up CBC via an antenna or get it on your cable. Center Ice stops broadcasting after the second round of the playoffs.

The rates OLN wants to charge can't be that high since everyone else is paying them. Keeping programming I want to watch off the air is not in my best interest. It might be in the best interest of people who don't like hockey but I am not one of those people.

EDIT: This thread has started to make me think. You know if it wasn't for sports I would not even pay for cable every month. It just wouldn't be worth it unless it was dramatically less (in the $10-15 a month range). I watch a handful of non-sports related cable shows but nothing I couldn't live without.

EDIT2: Comparing Apples to Apples. DirecTV Total Choice (155 channels) with locals costs $41.99. Dish's Americas Top 120 with locals costs $42.99! So, I pay a dollar more a month, get fewer channels and don't get OLN or YES. I don't buy the whole argument that Dish is looking out for my financial interest when they charge more and give me less.

Edited by PeteyNice

I have Dish Network and center ice and never get oln games. Dish HAD OLN offered as part of the top 180 package at one point and it was dropped. With Center Ice you DO get both home and away feeds for most games. I seldom get a Philly feed, Chicago doesnt televise home games, so I never get a chicago feed when they play at home, and never a montreal feed.

In Canada the conference finals/Cup finals and other playoff games are on CBC. You can only get 3rd and 4th rd playoff games on CBC in the US if you live near the border and can pick up CBC via an antenna or get it on your cable. Center Ice stops broadcasting after the second round of the playoffs.

The rates OLN wants to charge can't be that high since everyone else is paying them. Keeping programming I want to watch off the air is not in my best interest. It might be in the best interest of people who don't like hockey but I am not one of those people.

EDIT: This thread has started to make me think. You know if it wasn't for sports I would not even pay for cable every month. It just wouldn't be worth it unless it was dramatically less (in the $10-15 a month range). I watch a handful of non-sports related cable shows but nothing I couldn't live without.

I'm not sure but since there isn't really anything on OLN I don't think it would be worth it to give them a higher price at this time. The reason I am switching is for cheaper rates right now the cable bill is $130 and I don't get all the channels I am getting with Dish. The other thing is sports the only channels I got that showed hockey was OLN, NBC, and HDNet between the three I only got 3 devils games this year. After about a month after hockey got back I stopped watching OLN because of audio problems I got all the time. They never showed the devils I believe they show two devil games. I did watch HDNet which I am not getting with dish because they wanted $2500 for the satellite but I mainly watched that for hockey because it was really nice looking and they gave away a jersey every game which I never got a sniff at.

Edit 1 - I have the america's everything pack and I looked at their top package which I believe is Total Choice Premier and it is more if you don't add local channels by about $10 I am not sure if directv charges for local channels though.

Edited by sandman441

With locals DirecTV Total Choice Premiere is $94 vs $87 for Dish's America Everything package. However, you get over 20 additional channels with Total Choice Premiere. That is the only comparison that Dish wins price wise. I've already shown you Total Choice vs Top 120. Total Choice Plus (185 chans) ($46) vs America's Top 180 ($53) DirecTV with OLN and YES is cheaper than Dish without.

With locals DirecTV Total Choice Premiere is $94 vs $87 for Dish's America Everything package. However, you get over 20 additional channels with Total Choice Premiere. That is the only comparison that Dish wins price wise. I've already shown you Total Choice vs Top 120. Total Choice Plus (185 chans) ($46) vs America's Top 180 ($53) DirecTV with OLN and YES is cheaper than Dish without.

Ok so DirecTV doesn't charge for local channels that's good. I was also surprised that directv was less expensive than dish in the smaller packages. If a reliable company here starts selling directv I will probably end up getting that. But I don't know who would I looked at the directtv site and did a search for dealers and they only had 1 listed. Like I said I'm not worried about not getting YES because the only sport I watch is hockey and I guess if you get technical Cage fighting but most of the hockey is covered by center ice and I think by next season OLN will be on dish but right now they should be good with the money they are getting now unless they are planning on adding more sports and good shows. The cage fighting (UFC and Pride FC) is covered by Spike and Fox Sports. OLN is a big one though. Here is the prices for the packages for my cable company it's not bad but they charge you for everything.

Digital Service (149 channels)

Includes Digital Variety package, Digital Music, Preferred Service, access to Pay-Per-View, one digital converter and universal remote. $67.47

Preferred Service (120 channels)

Includes Basic Service, Digital Music, access to Pay-Per-View, one converter and universal remote. $52.48

Basic Service (19 channels)

$20.70

Digital Sports* (7 channels)

$5.00

Digital Family* (8 channels)

$4.00

HBO / MAX Pak (15 channels)

$17.95

HBO the Works (7 channels)

$13.95

Showtime Unlimited (12 channels)

$13.95

Starz! Superpak (13 channels)

$12.95

MultiMax (8 channels)

$10.95

The Filipino Channel

$13.99

Korean Channel

$13.99

High Definition Package (5 channels)

$6.99

* Subscription to Digital Variety package required.

Equipment

Digital Converter and Universal Remote (each)

$5.99

DVR/HDTV Capable Converter and Universal Remote (each)

$14.99

Installation

Initial Installation:

Preferred Service (120 channels)

Includes Basic Service, Digital music, access to Pay-Per-View, one digital converter and universal remote. $51.98

Plus add ...

Digital Sports* (7 channels)

$5.00

Digital Family* (8 channels)

$4.00

HBO the Works (7 channels)

$12.00

Showtime Unlimited (12 channels)

$10.00

Starz! Superpak (13 channels)

$10.00

MultiMax (8 Channels)

$10.00

* Subscription to Digital Variety package required.