Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Harvey out after 5.2 IP and 110 pitches.  Weird to see that kind of pitch count considering he didn't walk anybody. 

The lack of run support for him is beyond maddening. 

The bats have gone completely cold. Just stone cold with no luck to speak of (morrison diving catch on Byrd)

Harvey, as good as he's been, completely hits a wall at about 100 pitches. That's not much of a criticism though.

I just can't wait to be rid of the Marlins. Watch they go lose 8 in a row now. It's amazing the strange baseball abilities that they're just able to conjure out of nowhere when playing us

The Mets were the first team that couldn't score a run against Koehler as a starting pitcher this season.  Outstanding.

Looks like the decision to keep the band together at the trade deadline is paying off handsomely. 

Oh well, this one's not over yet.

RE:  Harvey's pitch count, for a guy who doesn't walk anyone (well under 2 per 9 IP) and has such a good WHIP (0.88), he throws more pitches than one would think...he averages about 100 pitches per 6.85 IP...that's not bad, but seems high for the low amount of runners that reach base against him.  I'm guessing the Mets will try to induce him to pitch a little more to contact in the seasons to come. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Ike draws walks.  I think I've run out of good things to say about him otherwise.

I suspect Buck's wife is sitting on a cork trying to delay this kid as long as she can so d'Arnaud can't come up and take her husbands job! ;-)

seriously though, it is going to be exciting to see him finally in a Mets uniform. I was worried this would be a complete lost season, instead it will only be a mostly lost season.

Edited by '7'

I suspect Buck's wife is sitting on a cork trying to delay this kid as long as she can so d'Arnaud can't come up and take her husbands job! ;-)

seriously though, it is going to be exciting to see him finally in a Mets uniform. I was worried this would be a complete lost season, instead it will only be a mostly lost season.

d'Arnaud getting hurt is definitely the second-biggest disappointment of 2013 behind Ike sucking.  Buck did what he could at least, though he simply doesn't hit the damned ball nearly enough. 

Definitely some nice positives this year, even with Passive doing little to help the on-field product, other than what-the-hell moves that managed to pay off.    

d'Arnaud getting hurt is definitely the second-biggest disappointment of 2013 behind Ike sucking.  Buck did what he could at least, though he simply doesn't hit the damned ball nearly enough. 

Definitely some nice positives this year, even with Passive doing little to help the on-field product, other than what-the-hell moves that managed to pay off.    

early on the results were pretty wretched. Remember Cowgill? Rick Ankiel off the scrap heap? I honestly thought Sandy was losing it with those guys

early on the results were pretty wretched. Remember Cowgill? Rick Ankiel off the scrap heap? I honestly thought Sandy was losing it with those guys

I've been about as critical as I can of Passive.  A lot of the moves he made were zilch moves, but some of them are actually working (for the moment, anyway).  You don't go out and get guys like Eric Young and Marlon Byrd and think you're going to get what the Mets have gotten out of them.  EY was a DFA guy that cost the Mets Collin McHugh...Byrd signed for $700k.  As bad as John Buck has been for long stretches, he's got a shot at career-highs in HR and RBI...he was a salary-dump throw-in in the d'Arnaud trade.  Marcum was a injury-risk who - SURPRISE - got injured (just like Chris Young).  And the throw-it-against-the-wall-and-hope-it-sticks approach he took with the bullpen is somehow actually working now...the bullpen has been pitching well lately.  Passive's approach to 2013 actually reminds me of the owner in "Major League"...it's almost like the team is doing some winning to spite him.    

The positives really have nothing to do with Sandy.  He didn't draft Harvey.  Beltran was going to fetch a nice return...he was playing well and was still a big name, so not sure how much credit Sandy deserves for Wheeler.  Dickey was another guy brought in by Omar who had his Cy Young Award career year at just the right time...he was going to fetch a nice return too, though it's looking like Syndergaard might be the biggest piece for the Mets in that one.  But Sandy hasn't exactly been the second coming of Frank Cashen, that's for damned sure...and right now it seems like the team is playing a bit better in spite of him, and not because of him.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Edgin to the DL and Pedro Feliciano is getting called up. I love it; great for Pedro, he's been stuck in the minors all year working his ass off to get back. He hasn't thrown a single MLB pitch since 2010, when he left the Mets. This move means zilch for the team moving forward, and he might be pretty bad at this point depending how light the stuff has gotten, but just for the feel-good story behind it and also the nostalgia, I'm happy he's getting the call. 

Edited by nmigliore

Because TC wants to leave Gee in (wrong) and because he decides Aardsma > Hawkins in Parnell's absence (wrong again), the game is tied.

Feliciano just put out the fire and keep the game tied, getting their best hitter to groundout. 

Turner looked like he'd never held a bat before in that AB vs Crow. What a disgraceful sequence.

Not a crazy decision by Terry. If Gee was at 104 or so I think he pulls him. At 99 and up 2-0 he wanted to see if Gee had maybe 5 more pitches in his arsenal to get 1 batter.

Well I hope it isn't torn. Whatever the case he's going to be out a while

fvck man. There really is no debate. The Mets are the unluckiest franchise in baseball since 2007. It's not even close.

And OF COURSE John Fvck hits into a double play. Get the fvck off this team and let's get D'Arnaud in here

Edited by '7'

I'm so fvcking pissed from this. I blame the Mets AND Wright for this bullsh!t; this hamstring issue came up in Miami yet BOTH parties decided to let it fly by like nothing. David swept it under the rug so fast and the Mets showed zero power in sitting him. Wright is obviously a big competitor, I mean the guy was playing part of 2011 with a broken back, but he really should know better. This is a LOST season, not a playoff chase; accept that sitting a few days is probably the right call for your and the team's future, even if it hurts you in the very short-term. 

Edited by nmigliore

I'm so fvcking pissed from this. I blame the Mets AND Wright for this bullsh!t; this hamstring issue came up in Miami yet BOTH parties decided to let it fly by like nothing. David swept it under the rug so fast and the Mets showed zero power in sitting him. 

true, very true. Tough to get too mad at David. Still all of this could've been avoided if we just won the game a few innings before. Still the Mets aren't the only club to let guys play through injuries. Jeter just came back for the Yankees and got hurt right away...and only just returned recently. I think they had a similar issue with Youkilis.

Edited by '7'

Well I sure don't feel like jumping around like a lunatic after what happened to Wright :-P

Carlos Torres was great in his perfect role.

Honestly I had no idea Miguel Tejada was in baseball until tonight

Aardsma's velocity wasn't impressive tonight. The guns are usually a bit juiced as it is. So if it's showing 92-93 I figure Aardsma is at 90-91 or so.

Ike looked good at the plate today

Edited by '7'

ugh. The Mets brought up Mike Baxter as Wright will likely head to the DL. Why not Wilmer Flores? The infield can be rearranged quite easily for Flores. WIlmer to 2b, Murph to 3rd. Also you can go with Duda.

Edited by '7'

Collins again proving he's a friggin' amateur.  No reason to leave Gee in...for some reason Collins just loves to mess up 7-inning, 0-run games from his starters. 

I know Ike has been a bit of an on-base beast since coming back up, and he had a nice day yesterday, but I don't trust him in anything resembling big spots.  His BA is up to a whopping .190.  fvck him.

Re:  Wright...pretty much agree with nmig's take...unfortunately I think everyone on the Mets got caught up in the team having a shot (albeit a long one) at finishing at or near .500.  Wright is clearly a long-term piece of the puzzle here...this is not a guy you fvck around with.  

Makes Passive's keeping the band together look like a poor decision.

Agree '7', not sure WTF Flores has to do to get a call-up.  Looks like they don't want to screw with Murph at 2B.  But please, for the love of God, no Duda, anywhere...he's a lost cause.

And John Buck sucks.