CD's you've been spinning a lot recently

bruins4777

So what are some cd's you guys just got that you've been listening too a lot?

Three main ones for me.

1. Weld-Neil young

Freaking explosion of volume, i love this cd. Like a Hurricane is perfect, 13-14 minutes of neil guitar solo, freakng BRILLIANT. Crime in the City blew me away also. I wish they would have given a better version of "cinnamon girl". But this cd really exceeded my expectations. Farmer John was a big suprise to me.

2. Live from Mars-Ben Harper

Another concert. The setlist at face value i didn't think was much outside of above average. i essentially got this just for "like a king/ill rise" with the tag and all which i've only had on dvd. I ended up liking this cd for way more than the finale. I get Ben Harper screaming, i never thought i'd hear that like this, but its freaking great. "Woman in You" is by far the highlight. I'm not a big zeppelin fan in any way shape or form, i hate the band a pretty big deal, but the "faded/Whole Lotta Love" song is brilliant. The slide guitar makes one hell of a statement on this concert.

3. Devils and Dust-Bruce springsteen.

The direction bruce took with this record really made me happy. He didn't do some kind of attack on Bush or the administration or anything or anything directly political. But he focused two songs("Jesus was an only son" and "Long time coming") on family, some songs on pure love("All the way home"), and other such similar topics. That covered like half the album. Then at least half the album focused on the "human condition" and i've fallen in love with the cd. As great as the title track was for this I have to say the highlight for me was "Black Cowboys". This is just....incredible.

For once in my life the rolling stone review of Devils and Dust was actually pretty decent. I felt like they used way to many superflous adjectives but in general they portrayed a decent feeling. They have some inaccuracies about bruce saying "fvck" and I really wish they would have gone deeper into how bruce went into the human condition such, but i can't always have everything...

Anyways, there's me, how's everyone else.

What are these CD things you speaketh of?

I took a listen to Devils and Dust and it sounded way too wonky. Myeahanam mehanyaha meh. He didn't sound like he even wanted to be there.

I've been listening to some weird sh!t lately. sh!t that, like, nobody else on the planet would listen to.

(1)

"I Wanna Be" by Amber G.

This is Amber:

amber_w-glow_small.jpg

You can hear some samples here:

http://www.iamamber.com/music.shtml

(2)

"Supercute" by Twink

All songs are played on a toy piano (those ones with 10 metal bars and you hit them with a small hammer with a spherical wooden head). Their cover of "Enter Sandman" kicks ass.

I'm also listening to some Jakalope.

What are these CD things you speaketh of?

I took a listen to Devils and Dust and it sounded way too wonky. Myeahanam mehanyaha meh. He didn't sound like he even wanted to be there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

weld is a live cd, live from mars is a live cd and...ya.

Devils and Dust...well thats his voice. Its darker than before. He's gone through progressions with his voice. From like a really blues voice first 2 albums, to a "rock and roll" voice for a while and now this. He lost his rock voice in like 92 or 93. But he can still rock 1000 fold of anybody else.

I enjoyed it, i guess its a matter of differing tastes? :noclue: The lyrics, were just...remarkabley powerful to me in certain songs. Mainly, "reno", "black cowboys", "devils and dust", "matamoros banks", and "the hitter". Those songs, really just epitomized the human condition to me....i just feel like no other artist can really touch on the subject lyrically and succeed like he does nowadays....meh.

Iron & Wine - Woman King (EP)

Pinetop Seven - Rigging the Toplights

In Gowan Ring - Hazel Steps Through a Weathered Home

Alec K. Redfearn & the Eyesores - The Quiet Room

Alasdair Roberts - No Earthly Man

Do Make Say Think - Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn

The DMST one is definitely one of my favorite instrumental post-rock albums, too.

Oasis - Don't Believe The Truth

Oasis - Heathen Chemistry

The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

The Beatles - Revolver

Bob Marley - Natural Mystic

Galatic - Vintage Reserve

Jazz After Dark by Playboy (It is so smooth)

Led Zeppelin - Phyiscal Graffiti

Radiohead - Kid A

coheed and cambria - turbine blade

toad the wet sprocket.. the new live one.. i dont even remember its name

old school DMB - Under the table

Smile Empty Soul - uhhh i dont know the name of the cd ..maybe self titled

and a whole lot of created ones

I love these threads. I didn't think of Maroon 5, and without this thread I wouldn't have heard Scissor Sisters or coheed and cambria.

Today I was listening to "Mask and the Mirror", Loreena McKennitt, "Hillbilly Delux", Rob Zombie, Public Enemy's Millenium Collection and "Peace Songs" (benefit album with David Usher, Avril Lavigne, Chantal Kreviazuk, Bruce Cockburn, Bare Naked Ladies doing a Bruce Cockburn song, Leonard Cohen, Jann Arden.... Bryan Adams, Gord Downie, David Bowie, lots more...

NJay, like the Beatles stuff and Marley rules. You got his greatest hits? One Love maaaaaan!

Basically, just the same five I've had in the player:

1.Jimi Hendrix (can't remember which one; they're all great)

2.The Best of The Beatles (remarkable; and there are some of my faves not on this one; got it in The Hamptons)

3.U2- Best of 1990-2000 (pretty underrated; I like the unknown stuff)

4.U2- How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (more I listen to it, more I like it)

5.John Mellencamp- Scarecrow (Who doesn't like Small Town?)

Eventually, when I finally get around to it, I'll get the new NIN.

Edited by Derek21

5.John Mellencamp- Scarecrow (Who doesn't like Small Town?)

Love Mellencamp's stuff. Lots of political stuff on Scarecrow.... my favorite from said album is "Rain on the Scarecrow"

Eventually, when I finally get around to it, I'll get the new NIN.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My brother said the last 2 tracks are great... i think thats what he said.. he insisted that everyone ignore the hit on the radio and go buy the cd anyhow lol.

I was able to get him tix to the show next weekend in NYC so he is flying in from Cali to see them..freak

No cds, just got XM Radio. Incredible!

Well, I guess a couple, the new Jem CD is awesome all the way through.

Edited by devilsadvoc8

The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

Bob Marley - Natural Mystic

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have both of those on vinyl, i gave the previous away to my friend.

I've been spinning my "cream" vinyl "wheels of fire" a lot...or rather i did till my vinyl player broke again...stupid thing. White room is such a good song

Mae - Everglow

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Man, that album is SOOO good. Worlds better than Destination: Beautiful IMO. While I liked Destination, Everglow seems a lot more mature, they've really grown as a band. Very good chill music. The Ocean is an AMAZING song.

Augie March - Strange Bird (Aussie Pop, Dream Pop...features some of the most diverse songwriting that I've seen)

Black-Eyed Snakes, the - Rise Up! (Blues Rock)

Yasunori Mitsuda - Xenogears: Creid (Game OST; Celtic re-arrangement)

Magic Carpathians, the - Ethnocore 2: Nytu (Tribal/Ethnic Folk with a touch of psychedelia)

Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy VI OST