GDT: St. Patty's Party at the Rock: Pittsburgh @ Devils

MadDog2020

Yea, the Pelley call was legit, but Letang only getting a roughing minor from what ensued after the hit was possibly the most beyond absurd non call I've seen in an NHL game, minus Pandolfo getting drilled from behind in Detroit.

Letang literally skated all the way across the ice, dropped his gloves and jumped Pelley. Granted, Pelley made him pay for it, but instigating a fight in the third period and only getting a roughing minor?? Give me a break. This is the exact reason I have no respect for NHL officials.

If I remember correctly, you don't get an instigator if you start a fight with someone who just committed a major penalty. Maybe it is you don't get an extra 10. being that is was throw back night, I may be remembering a rule that is almost 20 years old as well.

I do agree with your point about the refs. I have always felt that the officiating is the reason why hockey will always be the least popular of the major sports.

Joe

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember correctly, you don't get an instigator if you start a fight with someone who just committed a major penalty. Maybe it is you don't get an extra 10. being that is was throw back night, I may be remembering a rule that is almost 20 years old as well.

I do agree with your point about the refs. I have always felt that the officiating is the reason why hockey will always be the least popular of the major sports.

Joe

Other sports have just as many problems with officiating as the NHL has. Officiating is a hard job to do properly. Hell, the NBA had a ref cheating on games, if officiating is a reason people tune in or out of a sport then the NBA would have nobody watching.

Pretty obvious instigator...

47.11 Instigator - An instigator of an altercation shall be a player or goalkeeper who by his actions or demeanor demonstrates any/some of the following criteria: distance traveled; gloves off first; first punch thrown; menacing attitude or posture; verbal instigation or threats; conduct in retaliation to a prior game (or season) incident; obvious retribution for a previous incident in the game or season.

That becomes a really confusing situation...

Letang gets 2+5+10 for fighting and instigator

Pelley gets 5+5 for boarding and fighting

I think what happens then is both teams have to put an extra guy in the box... Someone to serve Letang's 2, and someone to serve one of Pelley's majors. Both Letang and Pelley would be done for the game at that point since they have to sit for the full penalty time, 17 for Letang and 10 for Pelley.

anyone else see the highlights on nhl.com or watch the game thru their stream? notice the emotion of the announcer when the penguins scored, but the total lack of excitement in their voices when we scored? nah, nhl.com isn't biased toward Cindy's team

anyone else see the highlights on nhl.com or watch the game thru their stream? notice the emotion of the announcer when the penguins scored, but the total lack of excitement in their voices when we scored? nah, nhl.com isn't biased toward Cindy's team

You realize that was the Pittsburgh TV feed right?