Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

This game is really indicative how 95% of the Mets/Braves have gone since 1996 or so.

I hope this is the start of something good for Marcum, so we can get a decent return at the deadline.

Sad how pathetic this team looks. I dont think they're gutless like some past Mets teams so I cant really get mad at them, but they are talentless and helpless. That's on Sandy and the Wilpons

I detest the Wilpons as much as anyone, but how much of this can you really blame them for?  They coughed up the money for Wright (though as he's showing in this series against the Braves, he's not the right guy to build your offense around...he's not a cornerstone player.  Unfortunately I think the Mets see him as such.)  They're trusting the baseball operations to Sandy, which what owners are supposed to do:  trust their baseball people. 

Marcum has been solid over his last three starts, even though he's 0-2 in those games (thank you Met "offense"):  19.2 IP, 15 H, 8 ER, 2 BB, 22 K.  It's funny, on one hand sure, it'd be great if he pitched well enough to fetch something back at the deadline, but with Gee failing miserably (1.73 WHIP) and Hefner not likely to be in the Mets' long-term plans, I'm not sure if the Mets should be giving up Marcum, if he shows that he can continue to pitch well.  It's a tough call...a healthy Marcum can be a solid #3/4.  His 2010-11 seasons were pretty good, and he made 64 starts those two years. 

And yeah, re:  Ike...two months of him doing almost nothing, and Captain Passive is probably thinking "See!  I told you so!"  Jesus, give a hitter that many chances and yeah, eventually something good will happen!  Gotta see a hell of a lot more of it though, and even then, Captain Passive has to start showing signs of a pulse, and holding players accountable.  If Ike actually starts hitting, great, but what, does every Met who isn't doing anything to get chance after chance after underserved chance continue to get them?  Because that's the precedent that Sandy has set. 

God, Lucas Duda is a such a zilch.  It's so rare that that guy gets a friggin' hit when you really need it.

Irish Hammer delivers!!!!

The 7 Line Army in CF are hilarious with the huge head signs of Keith and Seinfeld!

I really like those guys. It's like a "super die hard" section. Their merchandise is pretty nice too...although overpriced :P

I just checked the stats...Quintanilla is doing quite well out in Vegas. But unlike Ike there seems to be no pressure on Tejada despite this miserable string. Why not bring up Quintanilla and send down Tejada to get straightened out?

Niese's numbers have really come around in his last three starts:  20.1 IP, 19 H, 3 ER, 6 BB, 14 K...his ERA has dropped from 5.93 to 4.40 in that time.  He did have those back-to-back disasters that have really blown up his numbers (Bronson Arroyo-style), but in his 11 starts, 7 of them fall into the "quality start" category...unfortunately, with the Mets' salami bats, giving up 3 ER in 6 innings doesn't often give you a great chance to win.  Niese has also allowed seven unearned runs, which hasn't helped his cause. 

Ike is now 4-for-his-last 50 in his last 16 GP (.080 BA), with 4 BB, and 22 K.  How many games has he missed entirely in that time?  ONE.  Yeah, I know I'm beating the dead horse, but the guy just swings and misses at SO many pitches now...his approach to his ABs are just terrible.  It's wonderful that, after being give countless chances to get a big hit (or just any hit, period), he managed to get one the other night, but for the love of GOD, how much more of this does Sandy have to see before he realizes that throwing Ike out there as though nothing is wrong day after day after day is NOT WORKING!  I don't think there's an option that can perform WORSE than Ike has at the plate in his last 50 ABs, and besides, I have to think that the game plan is to have Ike be the Mets' first baseman for several years...if the Mets can right him.  So if that means that the first base place-holders don't do much while Ike is in Vegas trying to figure himself out, so be it....like I've said, hard to think they'll do worse, and Captain Passive has seen to it that 2013 should mean nothing to any Met fan, as far as competing goes, so if the Mets soon fall to 15 games under .500, what's the difference?  But at least try to do something to get Ike to perform somewhat like a legitimate major-leaguer.  Plan A is failing miserably. 

Duda should not be on the team next year, but sadly I think he's going to get one more year here to prove himself.  Power and the ability to get on base, plus the fact that he'll be cheap, pretty much ensures yet another chance.  It'd be nice if the Mets acknowledged that the guy strikes out a lot (and if they'd start bringing in hitters who DON'T strike out so damned much...I'm so tired of watching Met hitters whiff), will probably never be a decent fielder, and will never be a guy who you're expecting to get a big hit for you.  But Sandy is probably looking at the 9 doubles and 9 HRs and the respectable OB% (in relation to his weak BA) and thinking, "If we can get Lucas to hit more and strike out less and become a good fielder, then we'll have something."  The ol' "IF" scenarios that Omar loved so much.   

One minor concern with Parnell:  he's starting to walk guys again, after not doing so for a long time (which could be things evening out a little).  He's now allowed 4 BB in his last 4 IP.  I'm not taking anything away from him...overall his last 33.1 IP in the majors have been terrific (16 H, 7 BB, 29 K), but it's something worth watching for a while, just to see if he's regressing a bit. 

'7'...re:  your comments on pressure on the Mets' players...the tact that Sandy seems to be taking with ALL of the Mets players is not to put pressure on any of them...I think he's hoping that playing without pressure will bring guys like Tejada and Davis and Gee out of what have been season-long funks.  I can't say that I agree with it...Gee has been awful this season (nmig called that one early, when he pointed out the drop in velocity, despite a good "on-paper" outing in his first start.  Gee has given up 4 ER or more in six out of his nine starts since.)  So have Tejada and Ike.  I think Sandy has to draw the line SOMEWHERE...Collin McHugh probably isn't the answer either, but at least let the Gees know that their jobs aren't locked up forever if they're struggling brutally, and showing no signs of improving.  McHugh has done enough in Vegas to at least get a chance, even though he'll probably do nothing with it. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I really like those guys. It's like a "super die hard" section. Their merchandise is pretty nice too...although overpriced :P

I just checked the stats...Quintanilla is doing quite well out in Vegas. But unlike Ike there seems to be no pressure on Tejada despite this miserable string. Why not bring up Quintanilla and send down Tejada to get straightened out?

I think they have to take someone off the 40-man to make room for Quintanilla since he's not on it.  But yeah, it would be nice to see accountability around here for SOMEONE besides Josh Edgin.

Well, they did jettison Collin Cowgill to the minors...Sandy was clearly hoping for pleasant surprises from him (he played in 19 out of the Mets' first 26 games).  But yeah, it seems like only the real zilches are held accountable.  

Just makes me sick. Wilpon tells Rivera "I'd like to play you in the world series this year....but I dont think that's going to happen". He just had to add in that "not going to happen" quip to make us feel extra insignificant and small. Gee maybe of you two idiots managed your money a bit better...

And now he's letting Mariano throw out the first pitch! An opposing enemy player who Mets fans have no affinity towards. Can the Wilpons be bigger fools? What other team is happy to roll out the red carpet for enemy players who torment them.

Not a huge fan of Byrd either, but at least he'll give you a more honest workmanlike AB than Ankiel. It's like all of our outfielders are very different but equally horrible in their own way.

Tejada is annoying me as well. Not charging the ball on the Ichiro grounder. High throw pulls Ike off the bag. Just terrible

Edited by '7'

Ankiel is in the same boat as Byrd, only worse. I hated that signing. I know the in-house options aren't very good either but jeez can you do any worse than he and Byrd? It seriously feels like Sandy TRIES to troll the fans sometimes.

Tejada should really thank Ike, by the way; he's quietly been dreadful this season and pretty horrible the past calendar year as well.

Oh speaking of Ike: 5 strikeouts in 5 AB since that big hit. Sigh.

Edited by nmigliore

Ankiel is in the same boat as Byrd, only worse. I hated that signing. I know the in-house options aren't very good either but jeez can you do any worse than he and Byrd? It seriously feels like Sandy TRIES to troll the fans sometimes.

Tejada should really thank Ike, by the way; he's quietly been dreadful this season and pretty horrible the past calendar year as well.

Oh speaking of Ike: 5 strikeouts in 5 AB since that big hit. Sigh.

That big hit changed nothing. Heck if the infield wasn't in that would've been a groundout anyway

Ike get 2 games with the short porch in Yankee stadium and unless goes a miraculous 8-10 or something he is gone

This team is just letting down Matt Harvey right now. Byrd lets that ball dink off his glove and that leads to 1-0

Edited by '7'

Sandy has been a trainwreck this season, he really has.  Nothing else to say about him.  Players underachieving this season aren't making him look good, but just the Ike thing alone has made him look like a complete buffoon.  WHY CAN'T YOU fvckING SEE WHAT EVERYONE ELSE SEES SANDY?!  THE GUY IS COMPLETELY LOST!

nmig said it perfectly...why oh why does it seem like this franchise does everything possible to piss off its fanbase? 

And oh yeah...must suck to be Matt Harvey and have to get upset over giving up one whopping run, because your useless dipsh!t GM couldn't be bothered with even attempting to upgrade the talent around you.

You just KNOW Duda is going to do nothing here. 

Way to go Ruben.  Don't worry, Sandy won't hold you accountable.

At least Terry's got a pulse.

I hope Terry stays fired up to storm into Sandy's office and scream "Jesus H Christ!  Will you wake the fvck up, do your fvcking job and get me some damn players already?  You know, ones that give me a miniscule chance of scoring runs?  I'll settle for decent!  Some of us actually care a little about the 2013 New York Mets!"

Way to go Lucas.  Please continue to play yourself out of the Mets' plans. 

Passive Sandy fact: there isn't ONE semi-decent/in-the-future-plans player on this roster he acquired. Oh, maybe Baxter, who tops out as a 4th outfielder at best. 

That's getting brought up more and more lately.  The Wheeler acquisition and the fact that he's so close to joining the Mets is the one thing that's keeping the Met fans from screaming mutiny.  D'Arnaud showing something before the end of the season will help too.  But I couldn't be more down on Sandy right now.