Kings Likely Lose Allison For Year

Derek21

http://tsn.ca/news_story.asp?ID=10505&hubName=main

Allison out for the year?

tsn.ca Staff

10/30/2002

(tsn.ca) - While Jason Allison may be lost to the Los Angeles Kings for the season, it's not likely that Atlanta defenceman Andy Sutton will be suspended by the league.

The NHL hockey operations department has not yet said anything definitively, but sources have told TSN that it's looking as though the league sees Sutton's hit the same as the on-ice game officials saw it. That is, an attempt by Sutton to shoulder check Allison with incidental knee-to-knee contact.

Now, there's no disputing that the knee-to-knee contact may have caused significant damage -- if, as suspected, Allison's anterior cruciate ligament is torn he's finished for the season -- but it would appear the league sees it as more incidental than intentional.

Related Info

Kings win game, lose Allison

The Los Angeles Daily News is reporting centre Jason Allison will miss the rest of the year after suffering severe ligament damage to his right knee in last night's tilt with the Atlanta Thrashers.

The Kings will only say Allison suffered a sprained knee after a knee-on-knee collision with Andy Sutton. Allison left the arena on crutches with his right leg immobilized in a large blue brace.

While the full extent of the injury will not be known until he undergoes an MRI exam this morning in Los Angeles, doctors believe he tore both the medial collateral ligament (MCL) and the anterior collateral ligament (ACL).

"He definitely has a torn MCL, and there is concern that he has a torn ACL," said Thrashers physician Scott Gillogly, who examined Allison in the Kings' trainers room. "Obviously, the ACL is more serious, but the MCL he tore was a big one, not a two-week injury, more like a month. And if the ACL is torn, you're looking at four to six months." :(

Asked whether that meant Allison could be lost for the season, Gillogly said: "Six months. You do the math."

Allison has not missed a game since being acquired from the Boston Bruins last season.

"It's serious," Murray said after the game. "It's very serious."

While none of the Kings players accused Sutton of attempting to injure Allison, Ian Laperriere fought Sutton shortly after the incident.

Said Sutton: "I am sorry that Jason Allison was injured, but that is part of the game and I am a little more concerned right now about the loss."

The Kings are already without regulars Aaron Miller and Zigmund Palffy.

That's really a shame. Hate to see that with any player (well...maybe not Tucker). And as much as we kind of lose patience w/KD & his Kings' reports, LA was playing really well.

Not good news at all.

Yikes. Not what the Kings need right now. 2/3 of their top line, one of the best top lines in all of the NHL, injured. But they did just reactivate Palffy, so help is on the way.

If Allison is out for the season, I don't think a serious run at the Cup is a reality anymore. Playoffs, yes. The Cup, no.

At least they're getting scoring from places other than that top line... Eloranta with two goals last night, as did Visnovsky, I believe - and I think he had an assist to boot.

That's a tough loss for the Kings. They have Palffy coming back, so at least it's not a worst case scenario - of course, losing a top player like that for an extended period of time really IS a bad scenario in itself. Hope the damage isn't as bad as anticipated, and I hope Allison can get back in the game soon.

This is truely sad news. The Kings showed so much promise and were playing their best hockey so far, now they gotta lose Allison.

I mean, when you see a horse like Allison on the ice in agony, you know something is badly wrong.

Now it's up to guys like Eloantra (2 goals against Atlanta), Belanger, Frolov, Johnson to step it up a notch, Allison left some big shoes to fill.

Now, hopefully Palffy can come back and play 110%, and also stay off of IR.

It's is truely a sad time for the Kings...

It sucks for them big time. But I look at Andy Murray as one of the best coaches in the league. He gets them prepared most nights and they make it tough. They hit you and play the game hard which is the way it should be played. They're a fun team to watch.

I think they have a lot of character. Obviously, this will be a huge test w/o one of the top players in the league. But I am betting the Kings make the playoffs.

this SUCKS for me in one of my fantasy teams, Allison was like the cornerstone of my team.

Also sux for Kings fans but lets hope that it is a MCL ligament that is torn and not an ACL so he will be back in like a month or so. He's a fantastic player.

Me too, and my team was doing so well! Now I don't know who to replace him with. Hopefully not as serious as they think.

Anyone know who will center the Kings top line now?

Allison was a cornerstone on one of my fantasy teams also,

I had a great deal of respect for him, he is a great person and a very good hockey player. I hate to say it, but these knee to knee hits arent accidental, some players make it look like a shoulder or hip check, yet their intent is to injure. The Kings might look for a solid replacement, but at this point its not likely.

Maybe a Marc Savard in a trade, because Steve Heinze is not gonna get it done.

this SUCKS for me in one of my fantasy teams, Allison was like the cornerstone of my team.

Also sux for Kings fans but lets hope that it is a MCL ligament that is torn and not an ACL so he will be back in like a month or so.  He's a fantastic player.

Me too, and my team was doing so well! Now I don't know who to replace him with. Hopefully not as serious as they think.

Anyone know who will center the Kings top line now?

My guess would be Smolinski... Steve Kelly was called up from the Monarchs

probably this for a first line...

Palffy-Smoke-Deader

I would move Deadmarsh to center. I believe that was his original position when he started out with Quebec.

Why not move him to center and keep Frolov on the line with Palffy?

This would not be bad. Then, Smolinski stays centering his line and you can keep Belanger centering the 3rd line and Laperrier the 4th.

That might not be a bad way to go.

I would move Deadmarsh to center. I believe that was his original position when he started out with Quebec.

Why not move him to center and keep Frolov on the line with Palffy?

This would not be bad. Then, Smolinski stays centering his line and you can keep Belanger centering the 3rd line and Laperrier the 4th.

That might not be a bad way to go.

That too would be a good change.

Right now I would like to keep Palffy and Deader together, so it's either Deadmarsh at C with Frolov as LW, or Deadmarsh at LW and Smoke in C.

Which ever one it is, Andy Murray will do the right thing for the team.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/story/10360136...=10360136543393

Allison to undergo MRI Wednesday

Jason Allison has recorded 11 points (four goals, seven assists) in nine games this season.

(posted Oct. 30, 4:31PM EST)

Los Angeles Kings centre Jason Allison has returned home to have his injured right knee examined by club doctors and to undergo an MRI tonight.

It's suspected that Allison has a torn MCL in his right knee and could also have damaged the ACL. It's quite possible he will be lost for the season.

The Kings have placed Allison on the injured reserve list due to the injury and have recalled center Steve Kelly from the Manchester Monarchs of the American Hockey League.

The 26-year old Kelly has appeared in seven games for the Monarchs this season and co-leads the team in goals (four) and points (10). The Kings (5-2-2-0) conclude their five-game road trip Thursday night in Chicago versus the Blackhawks.

Meantime, the NHL will not be reviewing the hit that led to the injury. Atlanta Thrashers defenceman Andy Sutton connected knee on knee with Allison, but a league official said it has been determined it wasn't an intentional attack on the knee. A penalty wasn't called, but probably could have been. Sutton will not receive a fine or suspension.

"He could be out for two months," Kings' coach Andy Murray said. "It's very serious. I don't know if it's season ending, but it's serious."

Murray was clearly upset by the hit on Allison, feeling that Sutton intentionally stuck out his knee.

"It was a vicious play," Murray said. "(The officials) said it was a great shoulder check. That's my concern. It's the responsibility of officials to make the call."

Thrashers coach Curt Fraser said he didn't think the play was flagrant, and several Kings players agreed. Even so, Los Angeles seemed inspired by the injury and went on to a 4-0 victory.

"It was an accident," Kings captain Mattias Norstrom said. "I don't think anyone would do something like that intentionally. But it's a tough loss for us if he's going to be out a while."