Hank Mcnamara

'7'

I got another pamphlet today from this turkey neck, seems like his entire campaign is about not spending any taxpayer money on the Newark Arena. The state has committed some money as well as Steinbrenner, so if the taxpayers have to ante up it won't be very much.

I'm worried that even if taxpayers don't have to pay, this guy will still stand in the way of it getting done, thus jeapardizing the future of Devils hockey and Nets basketball in NJ.

In this pamphlet he actually boasts that he saved taxpayers money by successfully leading the fight against a baseball stadium in the meadowlands back in 1987. So I guess back then NJ was trying to lure Steinbrenner or an expansion team, fill me in on this.

Wouldn't a major league baseball team been good for the state of NJ, lots of new jobs, it would've brought in a lot of money.

I was 5 years old back in 87, but I've heard rumblings of the Yankees moving to NJ for years.. I would guess it was for a stadium for the Yankees.

It's been shown that stadiums don't have any negligible effect on local economies. BUT ... for Newark, a city which suburban dollars left long ago, I think it would help a great deal.

It's easy to get elected by not supporting arenas.. I can't imagine all of the aged Republicans of Bergen County wanting an arena, they probably don't even like hockey and basketball to begin with.

But, as I recall, Henry McNamara is a longtime state Senator... isn't his office at the intersection of Colonial Rd. and Franklin Ave?

But, as I recall, Henry McNamara is a longtime state Senator... isn't his office at the intersection of Colonial Rd. and Franklin Ave?

that would explain all the junk mail I've been getting

something like "Committed to building a Newark Arena, but not with your tax dollars" would be better for me. These pamphlets give me the impression that he's dead set against it and wouldn't give a damn if the teams move.

Yes it was the Yankees coming to NJ, supposedly the stadium would have been off Route 3 in Lyndhurst. But the Yankees really weren't coming anyway, George was using NJ to get some concessions from NY. So that line about MacNamara blocking a stadium is stretching it a bit. George got a good portion of the goodies he wanted from NYC and all the talk of moving to NJ ceased right after he got them as I recall.