Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Meh, he had absolutely no chance on that wild pitch that scored the run. It was a 95+ mph fastball that Wheeler spiked low and way inside at the hitter when d'Arnaud was lined up on the outside part of the plate. Not making excuses for him -- his pitch blocking and throwing have been bad -- but I don't think he's at fault for that one. 

This is what Zack is right now. He has frontline starter stuff (how many fastballs have been below 97 mph tonight?), the only thing holding him back is his inability to find the plate.

Edited by nmigliore

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That second inning was disappointing because he's been showing signs of not being that guy anymore.  That was hard to watch.  But it's looking like it simply might not be Zack's night tonight...two base hits to lead off the third.

d'Arnaud's defense behind the plate is just maddening in general.  Not saying he absolutely should've come up with the wild pitch there, but he's not going to get the benefit of the doubt right now.  Too many balls get past him.

And that is why groundballs are so much better than flyballs; that and the fact groundballs can't go for homeruns. ;)

Well duh...is there anyone who thinks flyballs are better than ground balls?

Gotta give Zack a ton of credit...it's a miracle he's only at 80 pitches after 5 IP.  Hell of a recovery.

I was just making a general comment after breathing a sigh of relief when that inning looked like it was going to explode on Wheeler. I've also frequently brought up Wheeler hiking up his GB% this season -- want to make clear *why* that's a great thing and shouldn't be just glossed over, even if his walks remain a big issue. Being a pitcher who gets a groundball for 40% of his balls in play versus 50% is a big difference. 

Edited by nmigliore

I didn't take offense to it at all...I was just saying that I think just about everyone who watches baseball would prefer ground balls to flyballs, for the obvious. 

Damn!  Just got it in there!

Hard to believe Zack might get through six innings having allowed only one ER. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I was just making a general comment after breathing a sigh of relief when that inning looked like it was going to explode on Wheeler. I've also frequently brought up Wheeler hiking up his GB% this season -- want to make clear *why* that's a great thing and shouldn't be just glossed over, even if his walks remain a big issue. Being a pitcher who gets a groundball for 40% of his balls in play versus 50% is a big difference. 

Sadly inflection gets lost in written word...I was actually chuckling when I wrote that.  I didn't mean it the way it might've seemed to you.  It was NOT an attack and I definitely wasn't taking offense to it.  Truly.

Some real Houdini act being pulled off by Zack tonight, but I'll take it. 

It's actually a miracle that he bounced back from that second inning.  The Nationals have to be wondering why they couldn't finish him off.

If Terry dares bringing him out there for the 7th...I'm going to have an aneurysm. Wheeler is done. Don't get cute TC

I fully expect it.  He's been pushing 110 pitches per outing with Zack lately.

Not sure what Williams was thinking there.  Could've left Gio in to face Wheeler and then brought in the righty to face Lagares.  Maybe Williams thought Wheeler had another bloop single in him against Gio, lol.

Damn, huge break there!

BASE HIT?!  C'mon!  That's absurd scoring!

Bullsh!t call on Wright, but he would've probably struck out anyway...par for the course in a rough season for David.

Amazing how Terry never seems to learn.  How many times have we seen this?  Zack clearly had a laborious night, even with the recovery.

All I gotta say is Zack got some nice breaks tonight. 

On no...that does not look good for Lagares...looks like he's OK...yikes.

He's been hitting lately too.  BA up to .284.  If he can hit in the .280s and get on base a little more, I'll take it.

BA up to .284.  If he can hit in the .280s and get on base a little more, I'll take it.

That's buoyed by a .357 BABIP, though. His core numbers (BB%, K%, ISO) are nearly identical to last season when hit .242/.281/.352, so it's hard to call any of that real improvement. Right now he looks like one of the 20 or 30 worst hitters in MLB, but that glove is just too superb to sit down. Ideally I'd like to have someone whose value isn't so skewed to one side of the spectrum but the Mets have far bigger fish to fry this winter (LF, SS to name a couple).

Edited by nmigliore

The glove dictates that he has to get an extended look...his defense is insane...not disputing that.  I pretty much agree that he's not going to be much of a bat (I've said that a few times).  If he ever becomes a .280 BA/.325 OB% guy year in and year out I'll be thrilled.  That's a nice way of saying I hope his bat isn't so bad that his defense can't overcome it.  It'd be great if the Mets had enough hitters to cover up for him, but they don't, especially if Wright continues to morph into an ordinary player.

Trad numbers for Zack in his last 7:

45.1 IP, 40 H, 8 ER, 4 HR, 18 BB, 39 K, 1.28 WHIP, 1.59 ERA 

Tonight had that "things evening out" look...except that it never happened.  Seems like it's only a matter of time though.  The 1.59 ERA over this stretch (yes, short samples can lead to anomalies) has a lot of good fortune behind it.