Team Czech Republic Preview

Derek21

I wrote this for their site. Can't wait for this tourney!

http://www.insidehockey.com/worldcup/czech.html

Team Czech Republic

Here's a look at the Czech team's roster and schedule for the upcoming World Cup of Hockey...

The Czech Republic should not be underestimated in this tournament. They have a bevy of superbly skilled skaters and will be extremely dangerous. However, their goaltending is an apparent weakness, as 1998 Olympic gold medal hero Dominik Hasek is gone.

With that said, here is a look at how Team Czech Republic's roster shapes up, along with suggested forward lines and defense pairings.

FIRST LINE

Left Wing

Martin Straka Center

Robert Lang Right Wing

Jaromir Jagr

This dynamic ex-Penguin trio played together a few years ago and should have excellent chemistry. Lang is a crafty two-way playmaking center who can create space and opportunities for his line-mates. Jagr is the dangerous scoring threat who can beat opponents one-on-one and draw players to him. Straka is a great skater with stellar passing skills and is a perfect complement to Jagr's gamer. This line will be awfully difficult to defend against.

SECOND LINE

Left Wing

Patrik Elias Center

Vaclav Prospal Right Wing

Milan Hejduk

Imagine having to deal with two of the best finishers in the tournament playing on a second line. That could be a reality for the Czech Republic's opponents. They can send out two lethal goal scorers in Milan Hejduk and Patrik Elias. Hejduk is a pure sniper with great accuracy who's extremely dangerous on the power play. Elias is a streaky scorer with a deceptive wrist shot and has underrated passing skills. When he finds the back of the net, he can go on a tear. He's a great overall player that can play in any situation. Prospal is an excellent playmaking pivot and a shifty skater with dangerous speed. This will be a very entertaining line to watch.

THIRD LINE

Left Wing

Martin Havlat Center

Robert Reichel Right Wing

Radek Dvorak

This line consists of players with good skating and playmaking abilities. Havlat is a rising star for Ottawa who established career highs in goals (31), assists (37), points (68), power play goals (13) and game-winners (7) this past season. Not only was it his best season but he accomplished it in 68 games averaging a point-per-game. What makes him so effective is his game-breaking speed combined with an array of moves. Havlat also can be a pest around the net and his chippy play will annoy opposing defensemen. Reichel is no stranger to this tournament. He's a veteran pivot that can set-up his line-mates and thinks pass first, but if you give him an opportunity to shoot, he'll take it. Dvorak is one of the fastest skaters in the game. With great end-to-end speed, he's dangerous in open-ice and extremely good on breakaways. He can beat you by dekeing or by picking the top corner with his wrist shot. Look for Havlat and Dvorak to be fixtures in shorthanded situations.

FOURTH LINE

Left Wing

Martin Rucinsky Center

Josef Vasicek Right Wing

Jiri Dopita

This trio will comprise a solid checking line. Rucinsky is a smart two-way forward who is effective in both ends. He's a good skater and a diligent checker that can play shorthanded. Dopita is a crafty veteran who plays well in these tournaments. Though he wasn't successful in brief NHL stints with the Flyers and Oilers, his game is well suited for this tournament. He can score if called upon and sets up teammates well. Vasicek is an improving two-way center for the Carolina Hurricanes. This past season, Vasicek paced the Hurricanes with 19 goals and 45 points (both career bests). He brings a lot of size and speed to the ice with excellent hands around the net.

RESERVE FORWARDS

Left Wing

Tomas Vlasak Center

Petr Cajanek Right Wing

David Vyborny

Vyborny has gone under the radar as a solid scorer for Columbus. In 2003-04, he set career highs in goals (22), assists (31) and points (53). He possesses a lot of speed and is solid around the net. Vyborny also tallied four shorthanded and eight power play goals. If he sees action, he can play in any situation. Cajanek is a playmaking center who also could see some time. Vlasak is a bit of an unknown. Drafted by the Kings back in '93 as a fifth round pick, he has played mostly overseas back home in Finland and Russia. The only NHL action he saw was a brief stint with Los Angeles in 2000-01 tallying four points in just ten contests. All in all, these three are not bad players to have in reserve.

1ST DEFENSE PAIR

Left Defense

Roman Hamrlik Right Defense

Pavel Kubina

Hamrlik is a smooth puck-handling defenseman who can jump into the play. He's also an excellent power play quarterback. Kubina is a physical stay-at-home defender with a booming shot from the point. He can make it extremely difficult on opposing forwards in front of his own net. They should make an excellent pair because they combine good skating and puck-handling skills with physicality and toughness.

2ND DEFENSE PAIR

Left Defense

Marek Malik Right Defense

Marek Zidlicky

In his first NHL season with Nashville, Marek Zidlicky finished tied for fourth among defensemen with 53 points (14-39-53). A skilled puck-moving defenseman with a hard shot, Zidlicky tallied nine of his 14 goals (64.3%) on the man-advantage. Look for him to see lots of time there. Malik is a towering physical stay-at-home defenseman who can keep opponents away from the net. His chippy style can infuriate opponents. They should be an effective duo. Zidlicky plays an offensive-minded style while Malik likes to stay back and make life difficult.

3RD DEFENSE PAIR

Left Defense

Frantisek Kaberle Right Defense

Tomas Kaberle

Both Kaberles can skate and jump into the play. If paired together, look for Frantisek to stay back and cover for Tomas, who is more skilled offensively. If there is a weakness, it's that neither is very physical. Following a very disappointing season for the Maple Leafs, Tomas will likely have something to prove in this tournament, which could bode very well for the Czechs.

RESERVE DEFENSEMEN

Left Defense

Jiri Slegr Right Defense

Jaroslav Spacek

Slegr has a wealth of experience and could see some time on the blue line. He doesn't do anything remarkably well, but he's a steady and reliable defender that can contribute. Spacek is a smooth skater with a hard shot, who can jump into the play effectively. If either is needed, they can get the job done.

GOALTENDERS

Starter

Roman Cechmanek Starter

Tomas Vokoun Reserve

Martin Prusek

With Dominik Hasek no longer in the equation, the Czechs could turn to veteran Roman Cechmanek in net. He's got a wealth of experience and can be extremely difficult to beat. Despite an awkward style, he can be a brick wall back there. If he struggles, Tomas Vokoun is a reliable netminder who can get the job done. He's established himself as a number one goalie for Nashville and just backstopped the franchise to their first postseason. He can make sprawling saves and is very athletic. Ottawa's Martin Prusek is a reliable backup who's improved steadily. Ironically, he will be his countryman Dominik Hasek's understudy now that Hasek is a Senator.

Great read, Derek! Thanks a lot.

I could see the Czech Republic finishing second in this tournament, with the results somewhat similar to:

1) Canada

2) Czech Republic

3) USA

4) Finland

5) Sweden

6) Slovakia

7) Russia

8) Germany

I'm not too sure about Sweden and Finland, though.

Edited by Giuseppe

yeah a booming shot... at Scott Stevens HEAD!  <_<

He by accident shot a puck at Stevens head which is ironic because Stevens has been a head hunter his whole career.

:puke:

Stevens has not been a head hunter his whole career. He hits you as hard as he possibly can, which many players in the league do, Stevens just happened to be the best at it when in his prime. I will give you that I don't think the guy shot the puck at Stevens head on purpose though because I don't think anyone would do that.

-Scott

OK... yeah, so I've considered this too :P See thing of it is that the hipcheck is a little iffy so the opportunity to get a clean one in isn't as easy as Stevens makes it look. :evil: not to give any merit to your claim or anything... so it's not that he's head hunting per se... those hits are just the cleanest these days... maybe Stevens is getting a little creaky too not so easy to squatt down and all...

but seriously -- if I can admit I've seen fewer hipchecks in Stevens' dotage you can admit they're a lot tougher to do without a lameass call. I think ralfy did a beaut last season and got called... nearly sure of this -- may have been Langs anyhow -- I was livid.

yeah a booming shot... at Scott Stevens HEAD!  <_<

He by accident shot a puck at Stevens head which is ironic because Stevens has been a head hunter his whole career.

accident schmaccident too.... I'm not saying he was aiming at his head but I am saying he was pumped and thinking fvck you bubb I'll blow this right by you -- forgetting the fact that Stevens isnt' truly made of steel -- it's just an expression. So I'm not blaming Kubina but I'm just saying yeah -- he did too do it on purpose.

Madden and I are of the same mind on this one :evil:

OK... yeah, so I've considered this too :P See thing of it is that the hipcheck is a little iffy so the opportunity to get a clean one in isn't as easy as Stevens makes it look. :evil: not to give any merit to your claim or anything... so it's not that he's head hunting per se... those hits are just the cleanest these days... maybe Stevens is getting a little creaky too not so easy to squatt down and all...

but seriously -- if I can admit I've seen fewer hipchecks in Stevens' dotage you can admit they're a lot tougher to do without a lameass call. I think ralfy did a beaut last season and got called... nearly sure of this -- may have been Langs anyhow -- I was livid.

Rafalski took out the guy knees.....I can't rmember the team but I remember the hit. You can't lowbridge players, you are messing with the knees when you throw a low hipcheck. Instead of trying to flip them why not just crush them ala Rob Blake.

Instead of trying to flip them why not just crush them ala Rob Blake.

Cause at 5' 9" 190 pounds he aint build for crushing.

Well thts his fault for being small.....just because you are small shouldn't mean you can break the rules. Thats what big guys like Thornton and Bertuzzi are complaining about. Little guys waterskiing on the big guys or just clutching.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Oh please.. Rob Blakes crushes are few and far between - and NOT at key moments. He's just clutchy grabby like the rest of the league now.

NOw I may be wrong because I don't catch the west much but it seems to me he was tougher on LA but more irresponsible... in the Avs he's flatline decent -- I can't say he sucks but he's doggone dull these days .. maybe because he's old or maybe because he's more diciplined... or maybe because I hate the Avs so much --

I would take Stevens over Blake any day of the week -- no question. Particularly if we're talking cheching (hahah YES I was thinking about czech hockey when I wrote that!) hockey... I'm getting more and more annoyed thinking about this ... what the hell are you thinking Jason? Don't be totally biased but dont put on your "unbiased glasses" either because then you're just a sardonic contrary dork and I stop listening to you.. you have temper your response with some Stevens ass kissing for me OK? And I ask purely for myself I like hearing your opposing views I just have to make sure I really listen, you know?

Edited by Pepperkorn

HAHAHAHA! Read Jason -- comprehend -- don't try to find a through line or some hidden meaning .. All I think is that you said "Blake crushes" ... that's all I referred to, that's all I meant.

Want to respond now, or am I right?

"I would take Stevens over Blake any day of the week -- no question. Particularly if we're talking cheching (hahah YES I was thinking about czech hockey when I wrote that!) hockey... I'm getting more and more annoyed thinking about this ... what the hell are you thinking Jason?"

How the hell do you get this arguement out of telling the difference between a Rafaslki hip check (going low) and a Blake hip check (hip on rips). Honestly....

Rafalski took out the guy knees.....I can't rmember the team but I remember the hit. You can't lowbridge players, you are messing with the knees when you throw a low hipcheck. Instead of trying to flip them why not just crush them ala Rob Blake.

Oh here.. I'll spell it out for you okay?...

Yes Jason you're right about ralfi -- in honesty the check was questionable I dont think he intended to take out the guys knees and I dont think he DID take out the guys knees but none-the-less if the refs want to call it that way I'm actaully OK with it. (Happy now, sport?)

As for Rob Blake... perhaps long ago and far away he threw some nice crushing hipchecks but I dont see anything remotely like that from him any more. All I see from Blake is clutching and grabbing. And yet people will go on about how great Blake is... why Jason, your very reference to him makes me think about how he's still adored an IMO overrated -- really though I think he's mostly adored for his offensive play. As I consider your post referring to Blakes artistry I feel my ire rise... yes indeed I'm feeling quite vexed as I consider this... Blake sucks and I'd rather have a truly great player like Scott Stevens on my team.. oh dear I hope my referring to Mr. Stevens didn't confuse you Jason. I realize you're very literal minded and I'd best say: while I am referring to Mr. Stevens in comparison to Mr. Blake I do realize you aren't comparing the two yourself. Hope I didn't confuse you there!

----

Since it was so tough for you to even UNDERSTAND my original post I won't go on to ask for your opinion on Blakes all-around game as i had. Silly me to trust that you could get beyond anything that sounds remotely like someone contradicting you... If you actually looked closely I was asking your opinion because (mistakenly obviously) thought you might say something of value -- please accept my deepest apologies - won't make that mistake again.