2020 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

I’m enjoying the run that Blackwood is on...it’s fun to see the Devils getting some legit goaltending...Cory did provide that his first few years here, but obviously it’s been up and down (mostly down) since...except for Mac, who’s been solid for extended stretches since his initial call-up last season.

That’s allowed baseball and the Mets to be a low priority for me at the moment.  But as always been the case, once the Devils are done, so am I, as far as the NHL goes...I don’t really pay much attention to the playoffs if the Devils aren’t a part of them.  As we get into mid-March, I’ll start feeling the Mets more.  2/22 just feels SO early.

It is early for Spring Training but then again March 26 seems early for actual Opening Day.  And we're going to have to get used to it with everyone seemingly dying for this new dopey playoff format baseball's putting out there, with more playoff rounds and games as a result. 

To be fair I don't think you'll have a bunch of sub-.500 teams getting in, or at least any more than would in the NFL with all the four-team divisions.  But still it's a lot of explaining to do to a casual fan...it's like the current NHL format where you have to explain how there are division matchups except when one wild card has to cross over.

Edited by NJDevs4978

On 2/23/2020 at 9:19 AM, NJDevs4978 said:

It is early for Spring Training but then again March 26 seems early for actual Opening Day.  And we're going to have to get used to it with everyone seemingly dying for this new dopey playoff format baseball's putting out there, with more playoff rounds and games as a result. 

To be fair I don't think you'll have a bunch of sub-.500 teams getting in, or at least any more than would in the NFL with all the four-team divisions.  But still it's a lot of explaining to do to a casual fan...it's like the current NHL format where you have to explain how there are division matchups except when one wild card has to cross over.

March 26th seems way early. Like Minnesota and Detroit could still get snowed out that early.

Ugh this is just asinine. Sunday night selection show. Opponent picking? This is not some reality TV BS. Since when do you pick your opponents in American sports. This is just so overwhelmingly convoluted and contrived.

The only thing I would change is maybe make the wild card a best 2 out of 3 series. Or just keep things as it is

I'm fine with these selection shows if its for pointless garbage like all star games. You can toy around and have fun with that because it doesn't matter. But opponent picking is stupid

Is MLB doing THAT BAD that it needs all these bizarre millennial type ideas? 

Edited by '7'

Agree, 3/26 seems insanely early.

And not a fan of the potential new playoff format one bit.  Thought the current one was just fine, especially with the WC game being so scary that you REALLY want to try to avoid playing in one.  

• Like 2

And here we go...THE OPENER could well be coming to a ballpark near us

Honestly the Mets do have enough power arms in the pen where they could probably do it and it's whatever, but how exactly does that help with your six-man rotation dilemma?  So then one guy's going to be the primary pitcher every fifth day and another guy may pitch 3-4 innings out of the pen in another start?  

• 2 weeks later...

Guess the baseball gods awoke from their slumber and remembered to start fvcking with the Mets.

It’s a strained oblique.  He’ll be re-evaluated next week.  What could go wrong?  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

12 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Boy now I wonder what's going to happen with this baseball season after the events of the last five hours.  Play in front of empty stadiums for the first month?  I'm not sure anything's off the table right now.

Yeah I think they may have to.

And I actually have NO issue with the people making these decisions to keep fans away from the buildings for the time being...or even suspending seasons.  Yes, it obviously sucks for those whose earnings are often directly tied to sporting events...and many others.  But I say err on the side of caution in this case...especially since as we've seen, too many people are either unaware that they could infect others (not yet showing symptoms), or even now will take a "Well fvck this, I paid for these tickets, I might be sick but I'm gonna suck it up and GO!" approach, and not care who they might affect as a result.  No, it's not the Black Plague, but it's enough of an issue at the moment that I don't have a problem with the growing "We're not fvcking around with this" MO.  

Pete has this odd way of knowing the right thing to say, no matter how simple and to the point...and it never comes off as phony.  Mets are lucky to have both him and Jacob.  Wilpons don't deserve either one.  

I may have been a bit wrong about Alonso. Criticized him when he and his agent threw a fit about not being called up and issuing a statement in a sort of "who are you to behave this way, claiming you deserve to be in the majors and it's an affront you weren't called up" but you know what since then he's done nothing but say all the right things, do all the right things, and perform spectacularly

Yeah truth be told I almost forgot about that now.  Alonso himself even got into it with Chris Carlin at the time.

He certainly proved last year he and his agents were right and he was ready, though stupidly keeping him down in the minors for a few meaningless games at the end of the 2018 season didn't hurt anyone since the Mets did the right thing in the end and had him play from day one last year without invoking the service time bullsh!t that is STILL a bone of contention between the Cubs and Kris Bryant.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah he clearly got over it.  And it was nice to see that rare occasion where the Mets actually acted like a big market team, and didn’t look to save every last penny in making a decision.  

Just something that popped into my head...amazing how all of the sh!t that seemed like some huge deal not so long ago becomes almost forgotten.  You don’t hear so much as a peep about the Houston Astros these days.  And whenever baseball does resume, I get the feeling a lot of the hatred and anger towards them will have subsided.  A friggin’ pandemic has a way of making some things that seemed so significant suddenly...not.

Yep in an unfortunate way things are probably gonna work out for them, baseball crowds will probably have a post-9/11 type unity to them. 

Although you do wonder what happens when (if?) baseball finally deigns to announce punishment for the Red Sox on THEIR stuff, what happens then...does it bring back all the feelings about both the Red Sox and Astros?  Kinda sucks for the Red Sox they're still in limbo although it hardly matters at this point since they're clearly in rebuild mode after trading Betts and with Sale on the shelf again.  Maybe some Red Sox players were found to have lied and they're trying to get punishments for them in order, and that could be a mess, I don't see why it's taking them this long otherwise.

Edited by NJDevs4978

8 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yep in an unfortunate way things are probably gonna work out for them, baseball crowds will probably have a post-9/11 type unity to them. 

Although you do wonder what happens when (if?) baseball finally deigns to announce punishment for the Red Sox on THEIR stuff, what happens then...does it bring back all the feelings about both the Red Sox and Astros?  Kinda sucks for the Red Sox they're still in limbo although it hardly matters at this point since they're clearly in rebuild mode after trading Betts and with Sale on the shelf again.  Maybe some Red Sox players were found to have lied and they're trying to get punishments for them in order, and that could be a mess, I don't see why it's taking them this long otherwise.

Exactly, for a while people will be feeling “united” initially...but of course that never truly lasts.  But it does look like the Astros, through the most horrible of circumstances, are going to escape the wrath that they seemed destined to face every time they took an opponent’s field.

And yeah, MLB has taken WAY too long to wrap up the Red Sox investigation.  At some point (who knows when), they gotta explain why MLB needed this much time to come up with a punishment.

Opening Day now pushed out to mid-May at the earliest.  Not really a surprise...the bigger surprise will be if the season actually starts then.  Right now I think MLB would be lucky just to have Reboot Spring Training start by mid-May.  

Speaking of the Red Sox and Astros, what happens to the suspensions to Hinch and (eventually) Cora if we don't play at all this year, would they have to sit out 2021 as well since there was no season to be suspended for in 2020?  Or would they just take mercy on them cause they've already sat out a year and been fired?

After CR's offhand remark in the other folder I am actually starting to think for the first time it's a matter of if, not when we have a season.  I wonder when the drop dead date for starting would be, June?  They probably need to have around a 100-game season to really be viable, no sports league is literally having half a season or less.  Football went 9/16, the NHL went 48/82 and the NBA went 50/82 in their lowest recent seasons, that's about the benchmark for baseball.

If you start spring training 2.0 the first two weeks of June, then play 100 games from mid-June on you can end like normal in late September.  You can't really push the playoffs back too far into November unless you're gonna go neutral site and play in domes/warm weather cities, which would kinda make a joke of it since that's not what baseball is.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah I think you start a truncated schedule by dumping all of the interleague games.  Then just go from there, as to what games get eliminated from the schedule...maybe take out East Coast vs. West Coast series next?  Just spitballin'.  I think about 100 games would be legit enough, especially given these circumstances.  This isn't some BS lockout or player strike that's threatening this season from even happening.  

BTW today is nmig's 29th birthday.  I PMed him to wish him a happy birthday...and he responded almost immediately.  Good to hear from him.  I told him he's very welcome to post with us in these Met threads whenever he wants.  Would be awesome if he ever came back, even occasionally...he was a friggin' KID when he was first active here.  Now a year away from 30!  Time does fvcking FLY...

My 100-game schedule would be simple enough...8 games against division teams and 6 games against everyone else in your league with no interleague.

Heh nice, glad he’s doing well. I know he used to post on NYFS too (that board fried out for like a month earlier this year  but is back now)

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1