2020 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

Welp this isn't ideal

As much as I normally loathe punting on a playoff spot, I really would rather just get through these last twelve games with no major injuries.  Even if by some miracle the Mets make the playoffs at 27-33 AND somehow get through a 2-of-3 with Jake and Lugo pitching they have no shot of getting through this playoff format where there's no off days, having potentially twelve straight days of games before the World Series would cripple teams like the Mets with thin rotations and bullpens.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah pretty much what I said, re:  making the playoffs.  Mets wouldn’t last long.

Just hope Jake is OK.  

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Apparently it's a hamstring spasm whatever the hell that is compared to a pulled hammy.

Probably means he’ll need Tommy John.  

11 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Holy hell the Mets might be playing the only team in baseball with a worse pen than ours.

Amazing that the Phils are still a .500 team with a pen like that.  

Nice comeback win, but definitely too little too late.  If they can actually get to 27-27 or 28-28 and it looks like .500ish might be good enough to squeak in, wake me up.  But I'm guessing the Mets finish with 27 wins or so on the "season".

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well I guess Lugo's coming a cropper the second time around the league as a starter :P

Yeah he’s not making a case for himself becoming a full-time starter...he’s simply better out of the pen.

Figures I get it up the rear end both ways, I needed Lugo in a fantasy league semifinal this week lol.  My rotation has basically been 2006 Mets'ed with Sonny Gray, Merrill Kelly and Elieser Hernandez all on the shelf (this is a superdeep league with 40-man rosters, 24 teams and 80-man minor league rosters).  All I have left is Kershaw and a bunch of castoffs - Nate Eovaldi, JA Happ - both of whom have actually been hot lately, Lugo and a couple other guys so bad I can't even start them.

Edited by NJDevs4978

7 minutes ago, '7' said:

Diaz CAN NOT be allowed in this game!!

He actually has improved this year compared to last year's total sh!tshow, although I'd be lying if I said I was confident in him against the Phillies of all teams since he's had a couple of meltdowns against them.

BTW it's so fitting that just as the Mets are finally going to get an owner willing to spend, now Manfred wants to impose this bloated eight-team system into a 162-game schedule going forward.  I have no problem with it this year when the regular season was shortened and compromised anyway but it'll just kill interest in the interminable regular season if the good teams are already in the playoffs for a 162-game season, and the sketchy markets aren't going to sell out just because they're surging to an eighth seed.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah making this system a permanent thing is just a horrible idea.  Last year’s system was fine...the 162-game season has to have some real significance.  Teams struggling to hover around .500 shouldn’t really be making the playoffs every year.

Re:  Diaz, Maggie Gray said it perfectly...even with the fine ERA and the crazy amount of Ks, the blown saves and the HRs allowed have left deep scars on the fanbase.  He may never fully earn the trust of Mets fans...I sure as hell don’t feel comfortable when I see him coming into games.

Anyway, I’m guessing an 8-2 record over their final 10 games will be enough to get the Mets into the playoffs (they’d finish 31-29).  They probably go 5-5 though.  This team just isn’t capable of getting and staying hot.

Alonso with a homer (after he should’ve been struck out) and nothing else.  That’s really become the story of his 2020 season.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The Atlanta Braves with an opportunity to cripple our season, they have done it every single time and I don't see why they won't here.

Still have to say last night was a great, unexpected comeback. More often than not, the Mets find a way in that ballpark

16 of 32 teams is just...I mean for baseball it's going to feel like 1980-1993 NHL. You're going to have some bad teams in the playoffs. And one of these years a really rotten lucky team is going to win a world series and it's going to be nauseating 

• Like 1

A lot of things annoyed me about Sandy, but I think he was the epitome of the disgruntled employee when he was working for the Wilpons.  Should be much less toxic this time around, especially since he’ll be working with an owner who will actually spend like a big market owner.

Will be interesting to see what his actual role will be.  I’m not a huge Sandy fan by any stretch, but I can live with him being here (especially if he’s not the GM).

Bats go silent when they’re needed most...because of course they do.

Oh well...only six games left.  If deGrom pitches a shutout in his final start, he might take home another Cy Young.  Right now based on pure numbers though, it feels like the Cy is Trevor Bauer’s...his numbers are just better enough.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

10 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

At least Lugo washed off his last start and probably clinched a rotation spot for next year.

Mets need to run the table to have ANY chance so this is really it now.

Still feels like his results are too mixed for the rotation...I guess I'd rather see him potentially be an awesome bullpen guy, as opposed to a pretty good #3 or #4 starter.  But I guess it's not the end of the world if he at least gets a look as a starter to begin next season, with a full spring training to get stretched out.  If it doesn't work out, back to the pen he goes.

I'm still not a big believer in Diaz (and I'll probably never fully trust him in big spots), but he's done enough this season that I can understand if the Mets don't want to bail on him just yet.  Just don't go into next season without some kind of Plan B if he falters as the closer.  

Really hope Alonso bounces back next year.  I really hope he hasn't turned into Rob Deer.