2023 HHOF Class

MadDog2020

5 hours ago, Jerzey said:

Back when the Devils used to hold open practices at South Mountain Arena Pierre’s brother Sylviain handed me his stick that he had just broken. I was a huge fan ever since even though he was the less skilled of the bros.

Sylvain was actually considered to have MORE natural talent, but was quickly known for being lazy and a bit soft.  Lou needed to see just one season of him before he’d seen enough.  Somehow Lou managed to flip him for Claude Lemieux…that deal wound up being a heist.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sylvain was actually considered to have MORE natural talent, but was quickly known for being lazy and a bit soft.  Lou needed to see just one season of him before he’d seen enough.  Somehow Lou managed to flip him for Claude Lemieux…that deal wound up being a heist.

Crazy thing is he scored 30 goals in his one year with us. He seemed like a nice guy. I’m not sure what happened with him. He apparently kept playing in Europe until the early 2000’s so he must’ve liked playing on some level.

On 6/22/2023 at 3:51 PM, Jerzey said:

Crazy thing is he scored 30 goals in his one year with us. He seemed like a nice guy. I’m not sure what happened with him. He apparently kept playing in Europe until the early 2000’s so he must’ve liked playing on some level.

Here’s something random and cool:

image.jpeg.d3d5651a1c156e70ea8ced76da4966e3.jpeg

The above is a Sylvain Turgeon player card (kinda odd the photo used for the card is one of him falling).  The kid in the upper right corner of the card watching the game with his dad?  6-year-old Patrick Kane.

re:  Sylvain, did some more reading on him and his rep at the time he had been dealt to the Devils was indeed “lazy and soft malinger”…but there was more to it than that.  Apparently after his first few years in the NHL (by far and away his best…213 points in 216 games, though a bit of a floater), he suffered an abdominal tear that he simply never fully recovered from, and then he just kept getting more and more banged up through the years…his playing days ended after he took a puck to the face overseas that would require reconstructive surgery, and he simply decided “I’ve had enough.”

He actually got off to a good start with the Devils…23 goals through his first 40 games, including a stretch of 26 games where he put up 18 goals.  But he tailed off big-time…Lou was smart to flip him while he still had value and had scored 30 goals.

Interestingly enough, Turgeon had put up 30 G and 17 A and was a -8 in his lone season here.  Claude’s first season here?  30 G, 17 A, -8. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4