Rats win shootout in Binghamton

Fidgetess

11/06/2004

Rats win shootout in Binghamton

By: Chris Fitz Gerald , The Record

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=..._id=31002&rfi=6

BINGHAMTON - Goalie Ari Ahonen returned strong and ultimately the Albany River Rats weathered the storm.

In a building which hasn't been kind to them in recent years, the Rats survived a barrage of shots, a loss of one of their forwards and a shootout to halt their winless streak at three games Friday night with a 3-2 victory over the Binghamton Senators.

Ahonen turned aside 40 of 42 shots he faced and Tuomas Pihlman scored in the ninth shootout round to spark the Rats past the rival Sens in an American Hockey League encounter at the Broome County Veterans Memorial Coliseum.

"They came at us really hard and strong, but Ari made saves when he had to," Albany coach Robbie Ftorek said. "We did a really job of killing penalties, our power play got us (a goal) and it was a very strong effort."

Rookie winger Aaron Voros scored twice in regulation for the Rats, who notched their first shootout victory in franchise history. Albany (5-3-1-1) outscored Binghamton (4-4-0-1), 4-3 in the shootout, receiving two goals from Dean McAmmond and one from Zach Parise, then Pihlman lifted a shot over Ray Emery in the fourth sudden-death round.

"I didn't make first one and I'm glad I got a second chance," said Pihlman, who was stopped by Emery in the fourth round of the shootout. "It was exciting and this was a big win for us."

Ahonen then made a pad save on Antoine Vermette to clinch the victory for Albany, which won for just the second time in 10 games (2-6-2) all time at Binghamton.

After a shaky start when he yielded a goal 1:05 into the game, Ahonen was solid throughout, making 35 saves after the opening period ---including 21 in the second.

"I was busy and I didn't mind that much facing a lot of shots," said Ahonen, who made his first start after sitting out five games recovering from a head injury. "This was a real big win for us."

Ahonen kept the game even as he denied a drive by Antoine Vermette on an odd-man rush by Binghamton in the final minute of play.

"It was a big, big save and obviously he made the save to finish them off in the shootout," Ftorek said. "It was exciting, we got the (extra) point and now we move on."

In the first minute of the third, Albany center Eric Johansson missed a check, hit his face on the boards and fell to the ice. Johansson, who lay motionless on the ice was wheeled off on a stretcher after a 15-minute delay and taken to Lourdes Hospital, where he was treated and released.

Johansson had numbness in his arm and soreness in his neck, according to Ftorek.

"I'm sure he'll be all right," Ftorek said.

"We had to put that out of our minds," rookie defenseman David Hale said. "I think this team showed a lot of character by showing we know how to win these kind of games."

Ahonen received a rude return as Jason Spezza scored 1:05 into the game, moving in alone on the left side and scoring a backhander. Later in the period, the Rats drew even and took a 2-1 lead on a pair goals by Voros within a span of 1:24.

Voros, who entered the game as the league's top rookie goal-scorer, took a feed from Aleksander Suglobov and beat goalie Emery up highat 6:24.

Binghamton was then assessed two minor penalties, with a two-man advantage set up on a tripping infraction by Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute product Brian Pothier. Just four seconds after the faceoff, Suglobov's drive from beyond the slot deflected off Voros and past Emery at 7:48.

The goal was just Albany's second on the power play in its past six games. Binghamton drew even as Denis Hamel scored from the slot at 8:58 of the second.

NOTES: Suglobov now has five points (2-3) in two games this season versus the Senators. ... Rats defenseman Alex Brooks has now missed all 10 games recovering from back problems.

They don't count for the individual players. For example, the Rats have 1 shootout win. The players have scored 28 goals, but the team is credited with 29. Also, Pihlman scored the goal that won the shootout (and hence the game) for the Rats, but he has no game winning goals. I don't see anyplace in the standings where the shootout goal is specifically recorded, though.

They don't count for the individual players.  For example, the Rats have 1 shootout win.  The players have scored 28 goals, but the team is credited with 29.  Also, Pihlman scored the goal that won the shootout (and hence the game) for the Rats, but he has no game winning goals.  I don't see anyplace in the standings where the shootout goal is specifically recorded, though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I thought, thanks for the confirmation!