Spector's trade rumors 08/02/2005

Rock

02 AUGUST 2005.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/

Check in for updates throughout the day!

**FREE AGENT SIGNING ALERT!**

SPORTSNET.CA: REPORTED LAST NIGHT THE COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS HAVE SIGNED DEFENCEMAN ADAM FOOTE TO A THREE-YEAR, $13.8 MILLION CONTRACT!

Spector's Note: My thanks to everyone who sent this in. The first question most of you have asked is, "Why Columbus?" To which I respond, "Why not?" This is a team with promising youth that desperately needed both Foote's experience and leadership. Besides, they may have been the only club willing to pay him that kind of salary in this brave new NHL. Speaking of which, this works out to be only slightly higher than what he was making in Colorado under his last contract. Could this mean Markus Naslund is on his way to Colorado? Stay tuned...

SPORTSNET.CA: REPORTED LAST NIGHT THE LA KINGS HAVE SIGNED FORMER PITTSBURGH PENGUINS RW TOM KOSTOPOULOS TO A TWO-YEAR DEAL. FINANCIAL TERMS WEREN'T DISCLOSED.

NO TRUTH TO IGINLA RUMOURS.

CALGARY SUN: Randy Sportak reports an associate of Don Meehan, the agent for Flames captain Jarome Iginla, denied a rumour yesterday claiming Iginla was about to re-sign with the club on a three year deal worth between $6-$6.5 million per season. Sportak also dismisses rumours of the Flames pursuing Scott Niedermayer, citing their already impressive blueline depth.

Spector's Note: I'll be shocked if Iginla signs for less than $7 million per. His stock is through the roof right now and, salary cap or no, he's going to seek and receive top dollar. With a blueline corps consisting of Jordan Leopold, Robyn Regehr, Rhett Warrener, Toni Lydman, and Steve Montador, and with Junior sensation Dion Phaneuf about to make his debut this season, why would the Flames want Niedermayer? Don't say for playoff experience, because all of them got it in spades in 2004!

BRUINS WANT TO RETAIN THORNTON.

BOSTON HERALD: Stephen Harris reports Bruins GM Mike O'Connell hopes to retain star forward Joe Thornton, claiming he wants to rebuild his roster around the big guy. However, if he can't get Thornton re-signed long term, he risks losing him for nothing next summer to the UFA market. Harris cites a player agent who believes the Bruins wish to deal Thornton, particularly if he rejected the club's latest offer, believed to be a five year deal worth $25 million.

Spector's Note: My thanks to "Go Sharks". It's thought Thornton has rejected the Bruins offer, and if they're not willing to come up on it, then as Harris suggests they may simply have no choice but to move him at some point between now and next summer.

THE LATEST ON FORSBERG-NASLUND.

DENVER POST: Terry Frei yesterday reported Peter Forsberg hopes to return to the Colorado Avalanche. Forsberg's agent is Don Baizley, who engineered the move that say Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne sign with the Avs for less than their market value in the summer of 2003. Frei writes the Avs could sign both Forsberg and his friend Markus Naslund if they agree to play for less than their market value, but if not, the club would face dumping one or both of Milan Hejduk and Alex Tanguay.

Spector's Note: My thanks to Shawn Lamba. A tough decision by Avs GM Pierre Lacroix, who's pulled many rabbits out of his hat over the years. If he could swing this without having to give up both Hejduk and Tanguay it'll be his greatest trick yet, albeit one that could be fraught with trouble given Forsberg's injury history. I still think the Avs should bite the bullet and rebuild with their younger players. We'll find out soon enough what Lacroix thinks.

THE LATEST ON ZIGGY PALFFY.

ASSOCIATED PRESS/FOXSPORTS.COM: reported yesterday forward Zigmund Palffy hopes to sign a new contract that'll take him to the end of his NHL career. He claims his former club, the LA Kings, have expressed "great interest" in re-signing him, but he doesn't rule out landing with either the Toronto Maple Leafs, Detroit Red Wings or Florida Panthers.

Spector's Note: Palffy nearly let the cat out of the bag as well as put the Kings at risk of tampering accusations late last month when he told a Slovak TV station that talks with the Kings were going well. Now he's either letting the world know of other clubs interested in him, or hoping to pressure the Kings, or perhaps expressing his desire of where else he'd like to play if he can't return to Los Angeles.

FLYERS PURSUING HATCHER?

PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER: Tim Panaccio reports Flyers GM Bob Clarke was working the phones yesterday, seeking a gritty defenceman. Clarke was interested in Adam Foote but he's signed with Columbus, and he's also believed interested in Derian Hatcher. The club has no interest in trading for Chris Pronger (salary) or signing Scott Niedermayer (salary).

In other rumours, Panaccio claims the Pittsburgh Penguins have all but signed Alex Kovalev, and the Pens are believed in talks with the respective agents for Peter Forsberg and Markus Naslund.

DEVILS CHASING HOLIK.

NEW YORK POST: Mark (N)Єverson reports New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello is believed to have started negotiations with Bobby Holik's agent in hopes of bring Holik back to the Devils. Lamoriello is also hoping to re-sign Scott Niedermayer, although he's received offers from several other clubs. Brian Rafalski is believed to have received offers over $4 million, placing his return to the Devils in doubt.

BLACKHAWKS INTERESTED IN AUCOIN.

CHICAGO TRIBUNE: Bob Foltman reports Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon is seeking depth for his blueline and is believed very interested in former NY Islanders blueliner Adrian Aucoin. Tallon admitted to working the phones yesterday but declined to admit whom he might be pursuing.

THE LATEST ON LEETCH.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS: John Dellapina reports the NY Islanders are believed to have contacted UFA blueliner and former Ranger Brian Leetch, although it's believed Leetch wants to wait and see which possible contenders take shape with their current roster building. It's believed he might be interested in the Boston Bruins, and is said to be loath to sign with the Islanders, Devils or Flyers. A return to the Rangers is also considered a longshot.

BERARD TO RETURN TO BOSTON?

BOSTON GLOBE: reports Bryan Berard's agent says he's spoken to the Boston Bruins about a possible return of his client to their team. Berard played for Boston in the 2002-03 season and posted up the best offensive stats of all Bruins d-men that season. Whether they sign him or not depends on their negotiations with Sergei Gonchar, whom they're hoping to re-sign.

McCARTY A FLAME?

DETROIT FREE PRESS: Helene St. James reports a source close to former Detroit Red Wings forward Daren McCarty claims he's close to signing a two-year contract with the Calgary Flames. Neither he or his agent returned her phone calls.

Spector's Note: My thanks to "Bill" and regular contributor Scott Richards. If true this would be a terrific signing for the Flames, as McCarty would mesh well within Darryl Sutter's roster, and he'd make a good replacement for Chris Simon with his experience and grit.

THE LATEST ON THE STARS.

DALLAS MORNING NEWS: Mike Heika reports the Stars may not be able to retain captain Mike Modano due to his demands for a four-year contract. The club hoped to lure back Joe Nieuwendyk but he signed with the Florida Panthers. Heika also suggests the Stars might not get former captain Derian Hatcher back, as he's apparently seeking a three-four year deal at $3 million per. That might shift the club's focus toward more affordable blueliners like Teppo Numminen and Stephane Robidas.

Spector's Note: Having just re-signed Sergi Zubov, the Stars only have so much cap space available and are definitely feeling the pinch of the new CBA. Looks like a youth movement is in order.

DANDENAULT INTERESTED IN CANADIENS.

RDS.CA: reports former Detroit Red Wings forward/defenceman Mathieu Dandenault has expressed interest in finishing his career as a Montreal Canadien. Dandenault, a solid performer at two positions, is being sought by several clubs and the Canadiens are seeking depth on their blueline.

Spector's Note: The Habs are seeking more grit to replace that of the departed Stephane Quintal, something Dandenault should do nicely, although he's not one to drop the gloves like Quintal.

SPECTOR'S MAILBAG.

My thanks to "Mike" for the following on the Canucks: "The Team 1040 in Vancouver just said they heard a rumor that Sean Burke was heading to the Canucks to back up Cloutier."

My thanks to "Troy" for the following on Dean McAmmond's free agent status: "I've been reading this a lot lately and I felt a need to say something. Apparently all the new outlets covering the free agent market have Dean McAmmond listed as a free agent for Calgary. This is incorrect as just before the lokout he signed with the New Jersey Devils, and spent all of last season with the Albany River Rats where he led the team with 61 points ( http://www.albanyriverrats.com/statistics/ ). I can't remember if it was a multi-year deal or not, but I believe it was a 2-way contract so he could be called up after the lockout.

"Spector's Note: I'll be shocked if Iginla signs for less than $7 million per. His stock is through the roof right now and, salary cap or no, he's going to seek and receive top dollar."

There is NO WAY Iginla's contract will be larger than Forsberg, who is in a bidding war with several teams.

<JESTER>

According to this Calgary and Philly are not intereested in Neids... isn't that 2 of the teams we have heard about all along???

I thought the same thing about philly but wasn't it vancouver instead of the flames?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

His agent talked a lot about Calgary as a destination, since it was also close to his home in Cranbrook, BC.

There is NO WAY Iginla's contract will be larger than Forsberg, who is in a bidding war with several teams.

<JESTER>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why? Inginla is younger, hurt less often and every bit as good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because Fosberg is on the open market. Unless Iggy signs after Forsberg -- who sets the bar -- he won't make more.

<JESTER>