Sidney's Impact, other notes about NHL

LOTCB

Just wanted to throw some things out to everyone...went to Las Vegas about 2 weeks ago, and went to Caesar's Sports Book and I found some hockey odds for the 2006 Stanley Cup, and there was something very interesting things on this sheet:

Flyers are the favorites by the book to win the Stanley Cup at 9/2 :puke:

This one got me scratching my head: The New Jersey Devils and the Pittsburgh Penguins both at 12-1....Pittsburgh that high!?!?! :noclue: Tied with the Devils? Are they serious?

Also they had odds to guess the point total this year for Sidney Crosby...really shows you the impact this kid is having even at a place like Las Vegas, that was the only player they offered odds for... just a small example why the NHL really needs this kid to be the great great player he is supposed to be.

Edited by LOTCB

all the hype over sc is just insane. people are going on and on like he is jesus christ on skates.

he's a great prospect, but so was that 18 year old goalie the pens had last year and all the pressure and hype ruined his play.

Eric Lindros was supposed to be the next Mario, and look where all the hype got him.

we shall see what happens...according to the sports writers he's already a sure thing for the hall of fame...lol!

Nobody has been hyped this much since Gretzky, Shred, and I'd say that he lived up to all his hype.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Lindros's hype was huge, and lets be fair about Eric, if he didnt have so many concussions and health concerns, he would have been a Top 5 player consistently in the NHL and you could say that he lived up to his billing.

Crosby has been talked about highly even before he became a teenager, which creates immense pressure.

Edited by LOTCB

Just a few notes on Vegas odds.

I haven't the last couple years, but I usually go out to vegas around this time for hockey and football bets. Being the cheap bastard that I am, I shop around and can get totally different odds. one year devs were 8- 1 ish a most places, got them for 20 - 1(along with the nets at 22-1 after they went to the finals the year before) at gold coast is I remeber correctly. Remeber, it's not the what the oddsmakers think is going to happen, the lines are what the oddsmakers think the public thinks they are. Tough to bet 49'res in vegas casue of all the california money, same witht the lakers.

In general the best hockey stuff is at imp palace, they had lots of prop bets on goal scoring and such, but shop around. I usually spend the first day walking around, getting all the sheets with all the odds. If you've ever been to vegas, thats lots of walking.

Sesaon over unders are fun also. Specially football.

Lindros was hyped, Thortons was hyped, there are alwasy kids hyped. The talent has to be complimented with the right chances. If Nieds got drafted by the Rangers and didn't have to worry abuot defense, he would have been putting up Leech type numbers but might not be the all around defensman he is today. Crosby could catch a rut and blow out his knee in warmups. So many factors to consider with top prospects. He could have a 20 goal season and be considered a disapointment.

Joe

i hope the kids great sheeps, i just remember how mario used to terrorize the devils in the 80's so i hope he's just really good...not the next mario...:o!

If you look at Lindros numbers if it were not for the concussions he would have been right there in the upper level all time monster players.

That being said though his inability to skate with his head up in the neutral zone was his major flaw. A real shame he had those injuries, the Flyers would probably have some hardware.

Crosby isn't just any other Thornton or Spezza to come along. He is the next big thing and for good reason. The Kid is as talented off the ice in front of cameras as he is on the ice. This is something that is important for a star like himself. At the age of 18 he knows how to handle himself. Mario and Wayne both stressed this many times.

As for the odds, I wouldn't touch Pitts at those odds with a 30 foot pole. They don't have the goaltending experience to get it done, espesially since Fleury has cracked in every playoff to date.