Does it bother anyone else when.....

CMONPETEYD

People group Marty Turco and Rick DiPietro in the same class as Marty Brodeur when it comes to stick handling. I have seen both Turco and DiPietro many times and yes i admit they are #2 and #3 when it comes to stick handling but I think Marty is head and shoulders above the other two. Too many times since the new rule changes i've heard the 3 of them grouped together as one and even once i heard someone say that he thinks DIPietro will pass Brodeur in terms of stick handling in a year or two. I think the media has a hard time gripping that not only is Marty Brodeur the best goalie in the league, he is in a class by himself when it comes to stickhandling. Brodeur probably has more stick skills then 85% of the defensemen in this league......

Edited by tsdevils82

Well, the thing with Marty B. isn't so much in how well he handles the puck on his stick, but also in he knows what to do with the puck in any situation. IOW, he very rarely makes physical or mental errors. That being said, it isn't really that much of a slight to have those other 2 grouped with him. They really do handle the puck well. However, they make scads more mental errors with it than Marty does.

*edit* Beat to the punch by Luzzo.

Edited by GA Devil

Luzzo.. i group stickhandling, decision making with the puck and reading the play together into the whole "puck handling skills"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, but you said:

People group Marty Turco and Rick DiPietro in the same class as Marty Brodeur when it comes to stick handling.

They should be grouped in terms of stick handling, but not overall puck handling skills. Overall I agree with your sentiment.

Edited by L

It shouldn't bother you because its true.

Brodeur doesn't have one thing that turco and dipietro have. He can't(or maybe chooses not to use) use the "over the top" method. All he uses is the standard method, yes its beautiful and he is great, but he isn't head and shoulders above. You aren't watching them enough.

Dipietro is the top talent undoubtedly, but he is the worst out of the three due to his desicion making. The only reason brodeur is the best is because of the desicion making.

The "over the top method" is one where they use their backhand to shoot and handle the puck. Its a beauty of a technique and it provides much more variety.

Dipietro's body is also more suited to playing the puck. Look at him without pads, he's really buff and he looks like a forward or a running back because his shoulders are so broad. He has a top 5 raw talent in the league in terms of stopping and best at playing the puck. He's obviously not the best because he has yet to harness it, and he may never be better than brodeur in his prime, which may be now, but he definently has the talent to excel past it.

bottom line it shouldt bother you, brodeur outside of puckhandling, has never been the most talented in the league. But he has more intangibles,poise, and concentration than anybody in the league, which is what makes him the best. Kipprusoft, nabokov, luongo, lehtonen even, and others all have more talent than brodeur, but that doesn't mean they are better now or ever will be better. I'd like to attest that any current prospect or current goaltender may never surpass brodeur in the end as an overall goaltender save luongo or lehtonen. Outside of roy has there ever been a goalie more poised and focused than brodeur...so even then i mean i don't see why this upsets you, especially since this is factual.

bruins....

how can you say someone like Lehtonen has MORE talent then Brodeur... are you that good that you can measure his talent based off of 4 NHL games? So by what you are saying, does Sidney Crosby have more talent then Wayne Gretzky? you obviously can't judge the two because it is so subjective and the game is so different now then it was in 1979.

Argue the topic, thats fine, but please please don't make ridiculous fatcs based off of little to go by.

pure talent i mean. i mean its obvius certain prospects have faster legs, better flexibilty, better reflexes and such forth. But it hardly means he's even close to him as a goaltender.

Fleury has more raw talent than brodeur as well.

Others definently have more raw talent than belfour, but because belfour and brodeur have such strong technical and focused games they excel far more.

Too many people put too much of an emphasis one somebody says "more talent. Bouwmeester has more skating talent as niedermayer, but he hardly uses it as well thus far. Schremp has a top tier NHL shot already, but its hardly as good as some guy's with 30 goal season because he doesn't know how to use it as much and so forth. the spiral continues.

Dipietro's body is also more suited to playing the puck. Look at him without pads, he's really buff and he looks like a forward or a running back because his shoulders are so broad. He has a top 5 raw talent in the league in terms of stopping and best at playing the puck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ummm, what does a "buff" body have to do with playing the puck. If that was the case then Stevens would have Wayne's numbers and vice versa.

And no, I haven't seen Dipietro's body without pads. Nor do I want to. NTTAWWT. I just don't see the connection to stick handling.

Dipietro's body is also more suited to playing the puck. Look at him without pads, he's really buff and he looks like a forward or a running back because his shoulders are so broad. He has a top 5 raw talent in the league in terms of stopping and best at playing the puck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ummm, what does a "buff" body have to do with playing the puck. If that was the case then Stevens would have Wayne's numbers and vice versa.

And no, I haven't seen Dipietro's body without pads. Nor do I want to. NTTAWWT. I just don't see the connection to stick handling.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't get that either. Another thing strenth has nothing to do with being buff either (Ex World stongest men). Doen't bulky muscle restrict movement? So being a buff goalie would work against you.

Brodeur doesn't have one thing that turco and dipietro have. He can't(or maybe chooses not to use) use the "over the top" method. All he uses is the standard method, yes its beautiful and he is great, but he isn't head and shoulders above. You aren't watching them enough.

now as a goalie I take exemption to this.. brodeur has one thing that sets him WORLDS apart from the other two.... discipline...I think once in all of marty's time maybe ONCE in that time has he fvcked with the puck and cost the team goals... Turco does that by the PERIOD :P

that to me is the big difference

an HOUR to type this... effing sick days of other guys I work with ! :rant:

now as a goalie I take exemption to this.. brodeur has one thing that sets him WORLDS apart from the other two.... discipline...I think once in all of marty's time maybe ONCE in that time has he fvcked with the puck and cost the team goals... Turco does that by the PERIOD :P

that to me is the big difference

an HOUR to type this... effing sick days of other guys I work with ! :rant:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that was my point...it is a big difference, but its not like they suck at discipline or anything, they are still quality at it and have raw talent that brodeur doesn't have...i'm a goalie too, btw...a lot of people here are actually...

also the "bulk" comment. What i ment by that was...dipietro has amazing upperbody strength, so he is really big and "bulky" up top like a running back ya know? i probably didn't put that well, he lost some flexibility going for a strong upperbody but it allows him more strength on playing the puck, but he maintains his flexiblility still. i probably didn't word that well earlier.