Team USA vs. Team Russia

thefiestygoat

I blame the coaches. This was a talented team, they should have done better. It just sounded like they were not properly prepared. Maybe USA Hockey should consider making someone a fulltime coach instead of just giving some college coach fodder for his "How I spent my Winter Vacation" essay.

I blame the coaches. This was a talented team, they should have done better. It just sounded like they were not properly prepared. Maybe USA Hockey should consider making someone a fulltime coach instead of just giving some college coach fodder for his "How I spent my Winter Vacation" essay.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree Pete. This sounds like a poorly organized team. And they had a wealth of talent. It's very disappointing.

That said, if they don't beat Finland for the bronze, this is going to be even worse.

These Canadians are an embarrassment. Chanting "USA sucks" is a joke. You know what. The only thing that sucks is these COCKY ARROGANT screwballs! :rant:

You think if the situation was reversed, we would act that way? No god damn way! I am so sick and tired of some Canadian fans treating our country like absolute dirt. If you don't like one of our players for something stupid he did, fine. Boo him. But to disrespect not just our players but what our country stands for really aggravates me. The USA has done a lot of good for the world. And Canada is supposed to be like our northern brothers. A brother doesn't treat the other the way some Canadian fans seem to treat the USA.

Just for the record, I like Canada. I have been to Montreal once and enjoyed the experience. I have a lot of respect for the country and its appreciation of hockey. I would love to live in Canada for a period to see what it's like.

I just cannot understand why some hate us so much. What did we do wrong?

Lest this get moved to politics forum, I'll stay out of the political stuff and just say that this is like the Devils chanting "Rangers Suck". We know that the U.S. is becoming a hockey power and that your team was as stacked this year as our team was last year. Watching the favorite getting their asses handed to them on plate is kinda enjoyable. Tell me you wouldn't like to have seen Canada get whooped last year and the Americans walk away with the gold?

Now, if you want to get into the political stuff and how badly you've destroyed British Columbia's economy with the softwood lumber disagreement (which every free trade court on the planet has sided with Canada), we can pick that up in the politics forum.

We may have been the favorite but to compare this year's Team USA to Canada's team last year is an insult to Canada's team. That team was the best WJC team ever. Ever. From any country, any year.

Do you really think your average Vancouver-ite cares about softlumber tariffs?

I never thought I'd say it, but I'll be rooting for Russia to pick the Canadians apart on Thursday.

PeteyNice, you don't seem to have a grasp in regard to the coaching situation. There is so much tention within this USA hockey team not even the great Bowman could have coached them a whole lot better. Walt Kyle is an amazing coach who is known for getting the best out of his players and not letting situations get out of hand.

This team had a lot of cancers, Kessel being the main one. The NCAA player just don't like the CHL players and you could tell that by the performence of Schremp and Ryan. Not only that but Skille and Kessel also don't get along at all. Jack Johnson apparently doesn't get along with Kessel either.

This was a team with loads of talent but no real leadership to keep them bond together for the tourney.

You are also not giving the Russians near enough credit, this is probably the best Russian team since 00/01. This team has scary amounts of scoring power. When you see Radulov, Voloshenko and Yunkov as secondary scoring you know you are in trouble. Hell Malkin would be a top 30 player in the NHL if he were to play right now. When Conte compared him to Jean Beliveau he knew what he was talking about.

I agree Pete. This sounds like a poorly organized team. And they had a wealth of talent. It's very disappointing.

That said, if they don't beat Finland for the bronze, this is going to be even worse.

These Canadians are an embarrassment. Chanting "USA sucks" is a joke. You know what. The only thing that sucks is these COCKY ARROGANT screwballs! :rant:

You think if the situation was reversed, we would act that way? No god damn way! I am so sick and tired of some Canadian fans treating our country like absolute dirt. If you don't like one of our players for something stupid he did, fine. Boo him. But to disrespect not just our players but what our country stands for really aggravates me. The USA has done a lot of good for the world. And Canada is supposed to be like our northern brothers. A brother doesn't treat the other the way some Canadian fans seem to treat the USA.

Just for the record, I like Canada. I have been to Montreal once and enjoyed the experience. I have a lot of respect for the country and its appreciation of hockey. I would love to live in Canada for a period to see what it's like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Man, right on Derek. After the way they were treating our team and our country after the game on Saturday, I wanted nothing more than to punk their sorry asses on their own land for the gold, but so much for that. I love Canada- I love Canadians- I've been to Toronto 3 times, and Montreal and Ottawa once each- great places, great people. I envy the hockey coverage they get up there that we don't, and I love their passion for the greatest game on the planet. That said, I'm an American- and I fvcking HATE it when ANY other country disrespects me and mine. Those fans that were acting the way they did you can all blow me. I always root for Canada in international hockey if we don't have a shot to win- but not this time. I hope Russia wipes the floor with the Canadians.

I don't mind if Canada boos us because we are their hockey rivals. If anything I expect it, its just a part of the rivalry. However, displaying signs that are anti-American are wrong. This is sports, not politics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A very well spoken post. That's why I reacted the way I did.

I don't mind if Canada boos us because we are their hockey rivals. If anything I expect it, its just a part of the rivalry. However, displaying signs that are anti-American are wrong. This is sports, not politics.

International politics and international sports are intertwined. LA Olympics, Hitler/Owens, The Soccer War, the Maurice Richard Riots, Munich....

International politics and international sports are so pervasive, it's impossible for them not to overlap.

International politics and international sports are intertwined. LA Olympics, Hitler/Owens, The Soccer War, the Maurice Richard Riots, Munich....

International politics and international sports are so pervasive, it's impossible for them not to overlap.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All good points. I must say that I never heard of the Soccer War or Mauarice Richard Riots, probably because I am fairly young. I guess the part that I did not like was when the "U Suck America" sign was shown on the scoreboard. I would think the arena people would be more professional about their job regardless about the political views.

What I'm tired of are Canadians suggesting that this Team Canada is an underdog. Any other country would jump at the chance at having such a talented pool of players to choose some.

Just because this year's Canadian team is weaker than last years does not mean we are underdogs by any chance. Canada is always one of the favourites.

I don't say this is an arrogant manner, it's the truth and I'm sick and tired of the fact that Canadian's are using the "underdog argument" as an excuse for why Canada doesn't win or might not win. And then to gloat and say this is an overachieving team? That's absolutely ridiculous.

I don't say this is an arrogant manner, it's the truth and I'm sick and tired of the fact that Canadian's are using the "underdog argument" as an excuse for why Canada doesn't win or might not win. And then to gloat and say this is an overachieving team? That's absolutely ridiculous.

The Canadian team was much younger than usual, less experienced and NOBODY that will be a star player in the NHL. Pogge may be above average for the Leafs, but not a star. Our highest scorer is 13th in scoring.

I honestly didn't expect to get to the medal round, much less get to the gold medal game.

The magic flag has given nothing but golds and silvers since I started using it for international tournaments. :)

Edited by Don

I stand corrected. That Staal guy might be a star. He's been out against Malkin all night and Malkin isn't able to do *ANYTHING*. He's been awesome on the PK and I think he has an assist on the second goal.

Maybe I'm just f'ing pissed off that Russia didn't even try, but Marc Staal isn't even the best dman in the OHL let alone a possible star in the NHL.

It's great that these kids came together and learned something (don't know what, probably not to stick yourself in the groin), but these guys aren't the top stars in their respective league, just a bunch of kids that can play Sutter's system.

Maybe I'm just f'ing pissed off that Russia didn't even try, but Marc Staal isn't even the best dman in the OHL let alone a possible star in the NHL.

It's great that these kids came together and learned something (don't know what, probably not to stick yourself in the groin), but these guys aren't the top stars in their respective league, just a bunch of kids that can play Sutter's system.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He may not be the best defensmen in the OHL but that has little to do with his future in the NHL.