PARISE AIMS TO HAUNT RANGERS, JUST LIKE DAD

Rock

PARISE AIMS TO HAUNT RANGERS, JUST LIKE DAD

http://www.nypost.com/sports/67454.htm

By MARK (N)Єverson

April 22, 2006 -- Here comes another Parise, 31 years later, intent on wrecking the Rangers, just like Dad.

"I hope it's in the genes," Devils rookie Zach Parise said on the eve of his playoff debut today at the Meadowlands in the fourth Battle of the Hudson.

His father, J.P. Parise, scored what was surely the most devastating goal the Rangers have allowed in 56 years (since Pete Babando in the 1950 Stanley Cup Finals), connecting 11 seconds into overtime in the deciding Game 3 of the 1975 first round.

That goal launched the Islanders into respectability, and finally, dynasty, and doomed the Rangers' dynasty that never won. In short order, Jean Ratelle and Brad Park were gone, followed by Emile Francis, Eddie Giacomin and Vic Hadfield, and 25 years turned into 54.

"I hope I can carry on with the same luck he had against them," Zach Parise said.

"People tell me, 'I was watching the game when your dad kicked out the Rangers.' It shows how passionate people are about hockey here.

"It's going to be fun. It's a great series to get my feet wet in. I'm getting real nervous for the playoffs, and I don't, usually."

Zach Parise said he still never has seen that goal of his dad's, but said Flyers GM Bobby Clarke may be sending him a DVD of it.

Parise is in the right spot to make Rangers fans wince, playing left wing on the top-scoring line with Scott Gomez and Brian Gionta. He finished his rookie season 14-18-32, improving as the season closed. Now, he's on a larger stage.

"I don't feel any added pressure," he said. "If we just keep playing the way we have, we'll be fine."

His name alone will cause still-fatalistic Rangers fans to fret. A goal or two would haunt them.

Colin White skated before the Devils practiced yesterday, pronouncing himself 50-50 to play today, hampered by a groin injury that kept him out of the season finale.

Patrik Elias, the Devils' all-time playoff point scorer with 78, would not bite when asked if the Czech-laded Rangers would be an attractive team to him when he is an unrestricted free agent. "No comment," said the upcoming unrestricted. Of the Rangers' slicker style, he also was diplomatic.

"I've been pretty successful in my career here, so I can't complain,"
he said.

Hopefully junior Parise will have the same luck....and am I the only one that doesn't like the "no comment" from Patty....I mean I know it was season first, now playoffs first, but I'm going to be nervous until he's signed long term....even though I don't see why he wouldn't sign with us....

I would love it if Zack beats the Rangers--it just gives us another solid playoff performer to feed off of.

I think Elias knows the type of organizations the Devils are, I still remember him in tear during Scotty's ceremony. I think he knows that will be him if he stays in a decade.

I take the no comment from Elias as him just trying to avoid giving the Rangers any locker room fodder to feed off of. If he said no, he didn't want to go there, Renney may try to use that for motivation fo rhis team, as if Elias was putting them down.

The no comment answer, from Elias's point of view, is a very good answer. He's not eliminating the Rangers by saying that, but really I think he is just trying to make a play for more money. If he says I'm definately staying with the Devils I don't care about anyone else, Lou can sign him to a 500k contract. It's just a money game, but I would be suprised if he left.