VCR alert-May 6th

eldon

At least NBC is showing it where you live. In good ole Louisville, Kentucky its Derby coverage 24/7

The darn local affiliate here has to start at 6am with derby coverage and continue straight through til 10 or so tonite. So, no hockey for me, unless they show it on some other cable channel, but Im not gonna hold my breath. I guess Ill just hop over to NHL.com and listen to the radio broadcast.

I can't help but find it amusing that they give 24/7 coverage of a race that lasts what a minute?

But then again, I'm not a racing fan. And what's up with those ridiculous hats?

I guess the biggest problem is that, other than Muhammed Ali, the only thing Louisville is known for is the Derby. Well, thats not true, I guess Louisville Slugger is another fairly decent icon that others know of. However, all that being said..it is the 132 official running of the derby. Thats a pretty LONG heritage. In any case, I think that people that visit and and here from out of town find it way more interesting than most of us who live here. Those of us who live here see it as a real pain in the arse. Traffic is bad, gas prices go up (yes even more) and the week long myriad of derby stuff is annoying at best. Although, the steamboat race on the Ohio river is always kinda humorous.

everything ends with the running of the derby, which in fact sometimes isnt the most exciting race that day. Im not sure if everyone knows but there is a TON of horse races that go on all day long. Thats partly what the local channel covers all day...the other part is the stupid hats, finding celebrities, and showing everyone at home how to make a Mint Julip (AGAIN). every year it seems the same to me.

anyways, I guess Im done ranting. If I think of more though, Ill let you all know...heh

PS- if anyone here loves the derby thats great, I meant no offense...hehe

How do you make a Mint Julip? ;):lol:

KENTUCKY MINT JULEPS

4 c. water

2 c. sugar

4 c. loosely packed fresh mint leaves, chopped

4 c. bourbon

Crushed ice

Fresh mint leaves

Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add chopped mint leaves and simmer 30 minutes. Let syrup stand at room temperature overnight. Strain. Fill julep cups with crushed ice. Combine bourbon and mint syrup; pour over ice. Garnish with mint. Yields 7 1/2 cups.

Thats family recipe that my Grams uses to make em from scratch. Of course you can find mint syrup and just use that. The better the bourbon the better the mint julip...hehe